[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Young is Great

giantsfan

To me if he comes out, and I say he will if they win, he should be the first QB taken. Mark my words he will be better than Leinart in the pros.

1248668[/snapback]

You can join any of my leagues then...........take him ahead on Leinart :D

He's a wannabe that never will be.

Great college player, but so are so many.

We disagree on this one. Leinart has a RIDICULOUS surrounding cast from 3 all Pac-10 OL, to 2 great WR's, to 2 great RB's, and a couple of very good TE's. And he has a questionable arm to boot. Young is 6'5 and built like a truck AND he led the nation in passer efficentcy. He will be a better pro than Leinart I promise you that.

Edited by giantsfan

To me if he comes out, and I say he will if they win, he should be the first QB taken. Mark my words he will be better than Leinart in the pros.

1248668[/snapback]

Wow, that's a strong statment....first game I ever saw him play and he will get killed if he runs that much in the pros. I didn't see him pass too much and hardly ever if ever throw long.

But, props to him, he impressed me much. :D

Wow, that's a strong statment....first game I ever saw him play and he will get killed if he runs that much in the pros.  I didn't see him pass too much and hardly ever if ever throw long.

But, props to him, he impressed me much.  :D

1248717[/snapback]

Young has a bigger arm than Vick, more accurate, and more durable.

1248762[/snapback]

Yup. I say after the combine he is rated higher than Leinart and he heads to the draft as the # 1 QB. Now NO still may take Leinart but on Mel's big board I predict VY is the # 1 QB. He is just simply put a better athlete and a better physical player than Leinart. From arm to legs. I actually think Leinart won't be a great pro. He is NO Palmer with that arm that's for sure. Again EVERY skill position has a star for him. Smith, Jarrett, Byrd, Bush, White, and a loaded OL.

If I were the GM of the Texans holding the first pick in this year's draft, I am thinking three things:

1 - trade David Carr

2 - draft hometown boy, Vince Young

3 - hire a new head coach and tell him "Let me make this simple. Give the ball to Vince. A lot."

If I were the GM of the Texans holding the first pick in this year's draft, I am thinking three things:

1 - trade David Carr

2 - draft hometown boy, Vince Young

3 - hire a new head coach and tell him "Let me make this simple.  Give the ball to Vince.  A lot."

1248809[/snapback]

Yup

When was the last time a QB with 1000 yards on the ground in college amounted to anything in the NFL? The last one that comes to mind was Heisman winner Eric Crouch ... isn't he flipping burgers somewhere?

Houston needs O-Line help ... NOT a stud skill player. If they had an O-Line Carr-Davis-Johnson would get the job done. They should trade the pick and draft players for the O-Line.

When was the last time a QB with 1000 yards on the ground in college amounted to anything in the NFL?  The last one that comes to mind was Heisman winner Eric Crouch ... isn't he flipping burgers somewhere?

Houston needs O-Line help ... NOT a stud skill player.  If they had an O-Line Carr-Davis-Johnson would get the job done.  They should trade the pick and draft players for the O-Line.

1248952[/snapback]

I agree for the most part, but Young is the exception. Crouch couldn't pass the ball at all. Plus, he was about 5'9" tall, and NEVER projected to be an NFL QB. Young, on the other hand, is 6'5", 230 lbs. He has a nice arm. His mobility increases his stock tremendously, and would be a great fit for the hapless Texans. Plus, O-Lineman are a mystery in the NFL draft. You can get good lineman after Round 1. I remember everyone was on the Robert Gallery bandwagon. Yes, he was drafted high (#2 or #3 I think), and as of now, he's nothing great in the NFL (although I think he will be). I just think it would be hard to pass up Young with all he brings to the table. If they trade down, what exactly do they get in return? I guess it depends what teams are willing to offer.

Houston would be better off trying to sign a couple F/A O-lineman rather than trading down and taking a shot at a good college lineman.

With that said, I think Carr can be a good QB in this league, but he might be better suited somewhere else, in a new system.

1248762[/snapback]

I'm not sure about the "bigger arm" part. Perhaps I haven't watched enough UT games, but his arm strengh doesn't look overwhelmingly impressive to me. If I were an NFL GM, I'd go after Leinart, who was a prolific pocket passer during his college career. I'm not quite sold on Young's skill set translating into NFL success.

That said, Vince is the best college QB I've seen in years. The entire offense revolves around him and he delivers. And he was absolutely incredible last night. Wow... :D

Vince looked like a man among boys last night. He dominated the game with his size, strength, speed, and skills. The SC defensive players looked like kids comparatively.

It's tough to predict how that will translate to the pros when he no longer has those advantages. NFL players will actually be able to tackle him instead of bouncing off of him. That will make a big difference in his playmaking ability.

Edited by Caveman_Nick

Vince looked like a man among boys last night.  He dominated the game with his size, strength, speed, and skills.  The SC defensive players looked like kids comparatively.

It's tough to predict how that will translate to the pros when he no longer has those advantages.  NFL players will actually be able to tackle him instead of bouncing off of him.  That will make a big difference in his playmaking ability.

1249027[/snapback]

Agreed, and with no O-line in Houston, he'll be getting chased and tackled a LOT...

Agreed, and with no O-line in Houston, he'll be getting chased and tackled a LOT...

1249298[/snapback]

what do you think Bush or leinart would do with no line. If Im texas I take my chances with the best college player and select Vince #1. Go pro Vince. :D

whether he goes pro, stays another year, ends up being a better pro than leinart or anyone else...for now who cares, i'd rather focus on the present.

last night the guy gave one of the most awesome performances i have ever seen, on the biggest possible stage, against one of the most dominating teams college football has ever seen. dude could never pick up a football again in his life, and he will forever be THE MAN as far as i'm concerned. :D great f'n game, VY :D

whether he goes pro, stays another year, ends up being a better pro than leinart or anyone else...for now who cares, i'd rather focus on the present.

last night the guy gave one of the most awesome performances i have ever seen, on the biggest possible stage, against one of the most dominating teams college football has ever seen.  dude could never pick up a football again in his life, and he will forever be THE MAN as far as i'm concerned.  :D  great f'n game, VY  :D

1249345[/snapback]

+1

Wow- the VY koolaid is everywhere. He is an amzaing athlete, no question. Elusive as hell, and an accurate if unorthodox thrower. Bigger arm than Vick- no way in hell. I think best case- he is McNabb, but I think he is kind of a project. Against SC, he showed that slingshot/shotput motion is accurate on short-medium range stuff- can he throw the NFL out?? can he zip the ball in tight spots as the safety closes- not so sure. The way the NFL has evolved, athlete and QB are not necessarily a recipe for success. I mean, the NFL is littered with phenomenal college QB's who cannot cut it. RB, however is much more of a plug-right in, performance based position. Drafting VY over Bush is NUTS!!! You really want to sit and wait 3-4 years, hoping he develops into a quality NFL QB???

You must remember that he was the #1 recruit out of high school. The videos of him from high school are amazing and one includes a 75 yard bomb thrown across his body. The arm strength is there, he just doesn't get to show it. the game was so amazing and I will post my pictures etc when I get back to Dallas. There was one play in the 3rd when Sweed burned the USC corner by 5+ yards and vince never saw him.

NATIONAL CHAMPS BABY!!! I can't wait to get back to Austin!