[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2007 National Champs

Sgt. Ryan

I saw enough. They'll get over ranked by playing against the cream puff ladies in their division....we've seen it all before.

1248826[/snapback]

the cream puffs - you mean the team you saw win it all tonight. I think we can put that to rest now.

Corso and Herbstreit just gave their picks for next years top five

1. Texas (only if Young returns)

2. Buckeyes

3. USC

4. Notre Dame (Herb), LSU (Corso)

5. West Virginia

Looks like Sept 9 at Texas will be HUGE.

Other big games:

OU at Oregon Sept 16

Penn St. at Notre Dame Sept 9

Michigan vs Notre Dame Sept 16

Nebraska vs USC Sept 16

USC plays Notre Dame the last game of the season.

Edited by theeohiostate

• 2 weeks later...

I just hope Jevan Snead can live up to the hype and lead Texas to a BCS game as a true freshman. I see Texas with one loss, to Ohio State. I'm gambling that Snead is better than Bomar, so I think Texas wins the Shoot-Out for the second year in a row. By that time in the season, Snead should be seaoned enough to handle a good defense.

I just hope Jevan Snead can live up to the hype and lead Texas to a BCS game as a true freshman.  I see Texas with one loss, to Ohio State.  I'm gambling that Snead is better than Bomar, so I think Texas wins the Shoot-Out for the second year in a row.  By that time in the season, Snead should be seaoned enough to handle a good defense.

1283085[/snapback]

I wouldnt bet on Snead being yoru savior or even starting this yr. Ive seen the kid play, and he is more hype than substance. His team was loaded and comes from a traditional power, but doesnt even have reggie McNeal skills, let alone anyone close to Vince. But then who compares to Vince. Unless you have freakish talent like Vince, who lost his first 2 games to OU, I wouldnt bet on any freshman not having growing pains like Bomar did last yr. Bomar is going to be a great college Qb before he is done, his improvement was tremendous, and from the last game of the season, to the bowl, was even more impressive. I look for him to struggle some more next season, but be great as a Junior.

BTW, losing your secondary, a great LB, your best DL, a few OL, best receiving target which happened to be a TE, and Vince is going to be hard for any team to over come in one year. If texas is going to any major bowl it will be because of the skill players Romance taylor, Charles and Pittman. That trio has a chance to all be top draft picks one day. I for one think Taylor could be a Hesiman candidate before hes done.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

No doubt Snead is going to have growing pains, thus the one loss to OSU. Hopefully by the time he meets OU in October he will be up to speed. He is the big question mark. If the RB's that you admit are great can keep preasure of him, he might not have to do that much. He is not VY we all know that. Here is the scouting report on him:

"While most of the attention is being placed on fellow Texas quarterback Matthew Stafford and deservedly so, watch out for Jevan Snead because this guy is a playmaker. He is a threat to run on every snap and has a dangerous, live arm. Can make every college throw and gets excellent velocity on deep-out routes. Throws downfield passes over the middle on a line and can fit passes into spots that most quarterbacks can't. Shows good velocity when throwing on the run and is very effective rolling out of the pocket. He can really keep defenses on their heels. Displays a high-release point and consistent mechanics and can really whip it out of there. Is accurate, shows good timing and can consistently lead receivers on crossing routes. Shows a good feel for reading coverages and will make adjustments to exploit the weakness of the defense. Shows a lot of poise in the pocket and will survey the entire field before running or throwing the ball away. Is quick, is deceptively athletic considering his size and will create some second chances with his feet. Has adequate speed, shows terrific pocket presence and is willing to run for a first down. Plays with great intensity and appears to handle pressure well. He is what every college program that runs a version of the "spread" offense would love to have."

With regard to the losses, it is being said that the O-line will actually be better this year. Look at the recruiting class that is coming on board. You stated your concern with our LB's, well Texas has the #1 ranked OLB coming in Kindle, they have the #3 and #10 ranked ILB's in Earnest and Norton. With regard to DL, how about the the #2 ranked DE in Jones and the #5 ranked DT in Alexander. They also have the #5 OG in Burnette and the #5 OT in Webb, though I doubt these guys will be playing. The coaches aren't to worried about the DB's as evidenced by their recruiting approach this year. All of the above mentioned prospects with the exception of Norton are what Scout's Inc. considers a "rare prospect - Player demonstrates rare abilities and can create mismatches that have an obvious impact on the game. Is a player that has all the skills to take over a game and could be an impact player as a true freshman.". Norton is considered an "outstanding prospect - Player has the ability to create mismatches against most opponents. He is a player that could be a contributor as a true freshman."

Edit to add: By the way while you are high on Pitman, you are forgetting Sweed who is unbelievably talented and started comming into his own toward the end of last season as a sophmore. You state that Taylor could be a Heisman candidate, however if Charles can learn to hold onto the ball, he is a better player than Taylor. I see them using Taylor as a third down pack coming out of the back field or even split out in the slot. Charles will be the primarly ball carrier, again if he can get over the fubleitis.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

I wouldnt bet on Snead being yoru savior or even starting this yr.  Ive seen the kid play, and he is more hype than substance.  His team was loaded and comes from a traditional power, but doesnt even have reggie McNeal skills, let alone anyone close to Vince.  But then who compares to Vince.  Unless you have freakish talent like Vince, who lost his first 2 games to OU, I wouldnt bet on any freshman not having growing pains like Bomar did last yr.  Bomar is going to be a great college Qb before he is done, his improvement was tremendous, and from the last game of the season, to the bowl, was even more impressive.  I look for him to struggle some more next season, but be great as a Junior.

BTW, losing your secondary, a great LB, your best DL, a few OL, best receiving target which happened to be a TE, and Vince is going to be hard for any team to over come in one year.  If texas is going to any major bowl it will be because of the skill players Romance taylor, Charles and Pittman.  That trio has a chance to all be top draft picks one day.  I for one think Taylor could be a Hesiman candidate before hes done.

1283273[/snapback]

I would not count on Snead being the starter either. The key in 06 for the horns, will be a power running game and a ball control passing game. The O-line will be as good as 05, Running Backs will be better, and overall the receiving corps will be better. The key to who starts at QB will not be there ability to throw long passes, or to run. The key will be who can manage the offense the best, make good decisions and throw controlled short and medium passes. You have to assume that McCoy will be significantly ahead in those areas. Also, it does not hurt that McCoy has to some degree been anointed by the great one. However, it certainly does not hurt that Snead will be at Spring Practice. Competition is always a good thing.

No doubt Snead is going to have growing pains, thus the one loss to OSU.  Hopefully by the time he meets OU in October he will be up to speed.  He is the big question mark.  If the RB's that you admit are great can keep preasure of him, he might not have to do that much.  He is not VY we all know that.  Here is the scouting report on him:

"While most of the attention is being placed on fellow Texas quarterback Matthew Stafford and deservedly so, watch out for Jevan Snead because this guy is a playmaker. He is a threat to run on every snap and has a dangerous, live arm. Can make every college throw and gets excellent velocity on deep-out routes. Throws downfield passes over the middle on a line and can fit passes into spots that most quarterbacks can't. Shows good velocity when throwing on the run and is very effective rolling out of the pocket. He can really keep defenses on their heels. Displays a high-release point and consistent mechanics and can really whip it out of there. Is accurate, shows good timing and can consistently lead receivers on crossing routes. Shows a good feel for reading coverages and will make adjustments to exploit the weakness of the defense. Shows a lot of poise in the pocket and will survey the entire field before running or throwing the ball away. Is quick, is deceptively athletic considering his size and will create some second chances with his feet. Has adequate speed, shows terrific pocket presence and is willing to run for a first down. Plays with great intensity and appears to handle pressure well. He is what every college program that runs a version of the "spread" offense would love to have."

With regard to the losses, it is being said that the O-line will actually be better this year.  Look at the recruiting class that is coming on board.  You stated your concern with our LB's, well Texas has the #1 ranked OLB coming in Kindle, they have the #3 and #10 ranked ILB's in Earnest and Norton.  With regard to DL, how about the the #2 ranked DE in Jones and the #5 ranked DT in Alexander.  They also have the #5 OG in Burnette and the #5 OT in Webb, though I doubt these guys will be playing.  The coaches aren't to worried about the DB's as evidenced by their recruiting approach this year. All of the above mentioned prospects with the exception of Norton are what Scout's Inc. considers a "rare prospect - Player demonstrates rare abilities and can create mismatches that have an obvious impact on the game. Is a player that has all the skills to take over a game and could be an impact player as a true freshman.". Norton is considered an "outstanding prospect - Player has the ability to create mismatches against most opponents. He is a player that could be a contributor as a true freshman."

Edit to add:  By the way while you are high on Pitman, you are forgetting Sweed who is unbelievably talented and started comming into his own toward the end of last season as a sophmore.  You state that Taylor could be a Heisman candidate, however if Charles can learn to hold onto the ball, he is a better player than Taylor.  I see them using Taylor as a third down pack coming out of the back field or even split out in the slot.  Charles will be the primarly ball carrier, again if he can get over the fubleitis.

1283370[/snapback]

Sweed was an oversight, though I like Pittman more. Charles is cat quick, but If I could have any player off Texas next yr I pick Ramonce Taylor. They both run a 4.4 40, Taylor can play RB, WR or QB. The guy is a freak. Charles will be a better version of S Young by the time he is a Senior imo, to Taylor, if Taylor stays at RB.

As far as recruits, Texas is one of the top if not the top every single yr. Mack wins the national championship every yr in February, but because of Vince Young he actually won a Big 12 title and NC in January finally. Vince makes alot of people forget Mack and Davis simply are average coachs. Vince gave Make 3 silent yrs no matter what happens, but there will be rumblings this time next yr fire Greg Davis, bet on that. How many recuits besides Vince Young came to Texas and actually improved. DJ was a freak as a freshman, he wasnt any better when he left, maybe faster, bigger and stronger. what about Roy Williams, Cedric Benson, and most of the other top talent. Talent to start with is great, but coaching that talent is what wins championships, Big 12 or NC, unless you have a once in a lifetime player like Vince Young. Im not saying texas cant beat OU, but no freshman QB is going to do it in his 3rd or 4th start. hell even Vince couldnt penetrate the Sooner D his first 2 tries. But winning the game is a team effort and anything is possible, but it wont be because of the freshman QB play if Texas gets the W.