[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Did we witness the greatest game of all time

Sgt. Ryan

Yeah, again, your program was worse than Iowas in the 90's, until the Iowa boy came and showed you what a little WORK ETHIC can do for you, something he learned from Hayden Fry and brought to Kansas State (with Bill Snyder who built kansas state who was the WORST program in the entire nation before he took the reigns) and Florida. Like it or not Sarge, your program was built because of philosphies passed on from Hayden Fry to Bob Stoops. It's all about work ethic, something Oklahoma forgot about.

1255596[/snapback]

So when is Iowa going to get some work ethic, and actually get to a BCS bowl, and contend for anything. Does Fry need to teach Kirk work ethic. :D

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They did get into a BCS bowl in 2002. They lost to Carson Palmer and the boys, but didn't just give up the first time they faced adversity like your Chokelahoma team did. Lets see... where is it easier to recruit from... Oklahoma with all of their national championships? Or Iowa. BTW, in addition to Bob Stoops, quick sarge name some other prominant assistant coaches that were in your program. Oh lets see... You got Baby Mike Stoops (Another Iowa grad and former Iowa coach) and Chuck Long (1985 Heisman finalist from Iowa). Both now head coaches at other schools. Imagine that, Frys legacy lives on. And lets see... in the Ferentz era, taking out the first 2 years (the 2 rebuilding years), Iowa has won 2 Big Ten Championships, and been to 4 straight January Bowl games, and 1 BCS Bowl game. Pretty good for a team thats in a state with next to nothing in terms of High School talent. We had an underachieving year this year, but don't worry, they'll be back next year competing for a 3rd Big Ten title. And while you're making claims that we won't ever know, Iowa woulda smoked Oklahoma by at least 2 TD's this year, and you know what, judging by the performance you had against USC in last years game, theres no doubt in my mind that Iowa woulda beat that Jokelahoma team too. See sarge... it's very easy to play your game. VERY EASY.

Oh yeah, it was a sigline.  And yes, you should get your $ by tonight...

1253382[/snapback]

Coffee

Your new sigline is not too different from your current one, the new one is:

"USC Trojans – Greatest one-pete ever. BCS champs 2003 – LSU, 2004 – USC, 2005 – Texas Longhorns"

Back and forth, teams scoring at will in the second half, a 12 pt lead with 5 mins left evaporated, and still with 19 seconds a chance for SC to tie.  4th down drama, and the most amazing indivdual performance of all time.

1249107[/snapback]

I would like to relate my experience about this. I flew in and out of Vegas for the game, so I was in Vegas all day Thursday. I had used up all of my UT shirts by then, so the only UT gear I had on was a ball cap. I can not tell you how many people stopped me in Vegas, and wanted to talk about the game. For the most part they were people that were not fans of either team. They just wanted to talk about how great it was watching the game. I am not talking about people waving and saying, "great game". I am talking about people wanting to stop and really talk about the game. It was really weird. I have no way of knowing how people will look at it in the future, but I am thinking it has a real good chance of making many top 5 lists in 20 years.

They did get into a BCS bowl in 2002. They lost to Carson Palmer and the boys, but didn't just give up the first time they faced adversity like your Chokelahoma team did. Lets see... where is it easier to recruit from... Oklahoma with all of their national championships? Or Iowa. BTW, in addition to Bob Stoops, quick sarge name some other prominant assistant coaches that were in your program. Oh lets see... You got Baby Mike Stoops (Another Iowa grad and former Iowa coach) and Chuck Long (1985 Heisman finalist from Iowa). Both now head coaches at other schools. Imagine that, Frys legacy lives on. And lets see... in the Ferentz era, taking out the first 2 years (the 2 rebuilding years), Iowa has won 2 Big Ten Championships, and been to 4 straight January Bowl games, and 1 BCS Bowl game. Pretty good for a team thats in a state with next to nothing in terms of High School talent. We had an underachieving year this year, but don't worry, they'll be back next year competing for a 3rd Big Ten title. And while you're making claims that we won't ever know, Iowa woulda smoked Oklahoma by at least 2 TD's this year, and you know what, judging by the performance you had against USC in last years game, theres no doubt in my mind that Iowa woulda beat that Jokelahoma team too. See sarge... it's very easy to play your game. VERY EASY.

1255609[/snapback]

Lets see the Big 10 has how many Jan 1 or later bowl games. 4, 3 tie in games to the big 12s 2. Iowa was at best the 3rd best team in the big 10, as was OU in the Big 12, but their tie in game is the Holiday Bowl for the #3 seed in the conference. So get those facts straight. And Iowa ended the season unranked losing to Iowa St, and their bowl opponenet. OU finished the yr winning 6 of 7, and anyone that saw the texas Tech game, knows that was a Vinny Testaverde play at the goal line, as he didnt get in and OU should have won that game. Jan 1 games dont mean Athena anymore, unless its a BCS game, and Iowa has been to 1 BCS game, to OUs 4 to date. Also OU went 8-4 beating the #6 team in the country in their bowl, while Iowas went 7-5 losing to now 12th ranked Florida. Explain to me again, how an unranked team gets into a Jan 1 game. Oh yeah, the Big 10 has 3 tie in games for Jan 1 or later even if you barely have a winning record. And do you really think Oklahoma is a hotbed for high school football, hell no. Most of those kids come from Texas. Its not my fault Iowa cant recruit out of state.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

First of all, Iowa didn't even deserve the Outback Bowl this year. I never said they did. And if you want to complain about LOSING to Texas Tech and doing what you do best, which is make excuses, then I can do the same for the Florida game. The reffing was horrible. However, unlike you, I'm not gonna go there. Iowa couldn't stop Florida on 3rd down all game long, and Florida came in with a great defensive gameplan to stop teh Big Tens leading Rusher Albert Young. Iowa's offense was lethargic the entire game, even in the 4th Quarter when they were making there comeback, they were still playing like crap, but still managed to give themselves a shot to win the game, and should have had at least an opporutunity to tie the game when they recovered a perfectly executed onside kick in Gator terratory with over a minute to go, but got called offsides, where everyone in america, cept for Gator fans and maybe some stupid Iowa State fans believe Greenway was offsides. He clearly wasn't and there is ample photo evidence showing that he wasn't offsides. So despite playing there 2nd worst game of the year, and even in the comeback still playing terrible, Iowa still managed to only lose by 7, and truth be known, Iowa shoulda been in the Sun Bowl. It shoulda been michigan vs Florida, and Northwestern vs Nebraska, and Iowa vs UCLA, if you really want to know the truth. Iowa got in, because the Outback Bowl felt that they would A. Bring more fans than Michigan, which is true considering Iowa had taken over the state of Florida the previous 3 years, and B. 2004 Outback Bowl between Iowa and Florida drew higher tv ratings than did the 2003 Outback Bowl between Michigan and Florida. It was a financial decision by the Outback Bowl. Northwestern got the shaft in the deal, but they are really the only team in the Big Ten besides Indiana and Minnesota that don't draw a dime. And I also wasn't comparing Iowa's program to Oklahomas either in my last post. You asked about BCS bowl games, and I told you the facts. Don't let those facts get in the way of a good story or anything sarge.

As far as Oklahoma... congratulations you beat an Oregon team that played 1 team all year long and lost the game. We've already agreed in a previous post that Oregon was overrated. So congratulations, you beat an overrated team.

And there is a reason why the Big Ten has 3 January and beyond tie-ins, and the Big 12 only has 2. It's called money. Big Ten = money and ratings. Don't blame Iowa for that.

First of all, Iowa didn't even deserve the Outback Bowl this year. I never said they did. And if you want to complain about LOSING to Texas Tech and doing what you do best, which is make excuses, then I can do the same for the Florida game. The reffing was horrible. However, unlike you, I'm not gonna go there. Iowa couldn't stop Florida on 3rd down all game long, and Florida came in with a great defensive gameplan to stop teh Big Tens leading Rusher Albert Young. Iowa's offense was lethargic the entire game, even in the 4th Quarter when they were making there comeback, they were still playing like crap, but still managed to give themselves a shot to win the game, and should have had at least an opporutunity to tie the game when they recovered a perfectly executed onside kick in Gator terratory with over a minute to go, but got called offsides, where everyone in america, cept for Gator fans and maybe some stupid Iowa State fans believe Greenway was offsides. He clearly wasn't and there is ample photo evidence showing that he wasn't offsides. So despite playing there 2nd worst game of the year, and even in the comeback still playing terrible, Iowa still managed to only lose by 7, and truth be known, Iowa shoulda been in the Sun Bowl. It shoulda been michigan vs Florida, and Northwestern vs Nebraska, and Iowa vs UCLA, if you really want to know the truth. Iowa got in, because the Outback Bowl felt that they would A. Bring more fans than Michigan, which is true considering Iowa had taken over the state of Florida the previous 3 years, and B. 2004 Outback Bowl between Iowa and Florida drew higher tv ratings than did the 2003 Outback Bowl between Michigan and Florida. It was a financial decision by the Outback Bowl.  Northwestern got the shaft in the deal, but they are really the only team in the Big Ten besides Indiana and Minnesota that don't draw a dime. And I also wasn't comparing Iowa's program to Oklahomas either in my last post. You asked about BCS bowl games, and I told you the facts. Don't let those facts get in the way of a good story or anything sarge.

As far as Oklahoma... congratulations you beat an Oregon team that played 1 team all year long and lost the game. We've already agreed in a previous post that Oregon was overrated. So congratulations, you beat an overrated team.

And there is a reason why the Big Ten has 3 January and beyond tie-ins, and the Big 12 only has 2. It's called money. Big Ten = money and ratings. Don't blame Iowa for that.

1262054[/snapback]

Not going to make excuses huh :D , Florida is a very over-rated team, and Iowa lost to them. Unlike Iowa, OU was able to beat an over-rated team in their bowl game, and unlike Iowa, OU was able to sweep the Big 12 north, as Iowa was spanked by Iowa St, which was what the 5th best team in the Big 12. So lets not compare opponents. Second, the big 10 is a joke, and most around the country are forced to watch that Athena until about 5 yrs ago, when ABC started showing regional games instead of the slow boring Big 10 games. Ohio St is the first team I can ever remember with any speed on offense, and they beat a Notre Dame who failed to beat anyone this yr. Facts do not cloud my judgement as I call em like I see em. I didnt make excuses that Tech beat OU, I simply said that was not a TD, and OU should have won the game. You watch the play, you see what Im talking about. No excuse, just a fact.

So what facts about the BCS games, OU has been to 4 to Iowas 1, and Iowa is still winless in BCS games. Hows that for facts. Iowa will not contend for the Big 10, and will be lucky to get 4th again next yr, behind OSU, Penn St, and even Michigan and Wisconsin. OU will once again be the cream of the crop in the Big 12, and will fight Texas for a chance to play in a BCS game, hopefully the NC Game. Iowa may string another Outback bowl to the resume, but will most likely be playing in the Alamo Bowl in 2006

No you just made a excuse for Tech beating your Sooners. And as for the Iowa State game... lets find Sarge excuse #3, and say that well if they played now, the game would be reversed. You used it for the UCLA game, I can use it there. It is what it is. And again, you asked me how many times Iowa went to a BCS game, and I told you. I never once said that Iowa's program was superior to Oklahomas. And you can use your endless drivel about the Big Ten all you want to, but for the most part, the Big Ten has been a better conference than has the Big 12. And quick sarge, which conference has more NFL players playing right now. The Big Ten does, so that puts your speed argument to rest right there. So please, stop embarassing yourself. And how is Florida overrated, when they are the only team besides Texas that has defeated 2 BCS teams. They beat the ACC and SEC Champion. I think with there losses, they are ranked right where they are supposed to be, and would probably beat Oregon or Oklahoma.

Edited by GWPFFL BrianW