[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Bier Meister

4 corn tortillas

whole chicken

1/2 C chopped carrot (peeled, rough cut)

1/2 C chopped cellery (rough cut)

1 C chopped onion (peeled, rough cut)

1/4 C chopped cilantro

1/2 C diced tomato

1/2 C diced onion

2 jalapenos (diced)

2 oz lime juice

1/2 tsp cumin

1/2 tsp chili powder

1/2 tsp garlic powder

S&P to taste

slice tortillas into thin pieces. you can either deep fry them or bake them until crispy.

put chicken in soup pot. fill with water until it just covers tha chicken. throw in chopped celery, carrots, onions. simmer for about 1 hr, skimming fat from broth. when chicken is fully cooked, remove it and onions, carrots, celery from pot. discard those veggies. let chichen cool.

to broth add tomatoes, cilantro, onion, jalapeno, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, lime juice, and 3/4 of the crispy torilla strips. simmer for about 20-30 min.

blend ingredients. if you want it thicker you can add one of the following:

- some whipping cream

- a slurry (3 tsp lime juice mixed well with 4 tsp cornstarch) if you use a slurry- have your now blended soup simmering, then whisk slurry in....takes a few minutes to thicken

- more tortilla strips

remove fat from chicken. remove meat from bone. shread chicken by hand. add to blended soup... add s&p to taste.

i haven't made this in a while... you may want to play with some of the seasonings to your tastes (I tend to add more cilantro and lime).

edit: oh yeah.... i garnish with diced avocado, sour cream, crumbled cotija cheese, and the remaining tortilla strips.

Edited by Bier Meister
I tend to add extra lime and cilantro

• 1 year later...

substituted whole chicken for 3 pounds of breasts in 5 cans of broth. I cut the cilantro by 70% and threw in a teaspoon of slap-ya-mama. WOW, this stuff is wild tasting.