[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Did Texas win or USC lose the game?

theeohiostate

OK I'll play.

Texas would have scored on the next play, or perhaps the play after on the Young's-knee-is-down play.  Anyone that thinks otherwise is smoking crack.

Carroll making that TO call is part of the game.  He's gone with his gut all season and they hadn't lost all season.  Get over it.

Bush's ill-fated pitch was a big play.  But so was the fumble on the first punt of the game.  Part of the game.  Quit playing "what if", it makes absolutely no sense. 

USC was not in total control of the game.  I have no idea what game you were watching.  Yes, every time USC touched the ball you knew they could score.  But the same could be said for Texas.  It was an evenly played game from start to finish.  Sure, USC "stubbed their toe"... but so did Texas.  Both teams made mistakes, both teams capitalized on their opponent's mistakes.  Part of the game.

Sgt. Ryan isn't a "new supporter" of UT.  In fact, he's a bitter rival of UT.  He's just smart enough to realize he witnessed an incredible game played by two incredible teams. 

To say USC "lost it" rather than UT "winning it" is classless and represents a myopic point of view.

1249839[/snapback]

What he said. :D

This is a legitimate question that needs to be asked.  WHAT IF:  If Young wasn't handed the TD when his knee was down???  Carroll doesn't call his last TO on an extra point attempt???? Bush doesn't try to pitch the ball and fumble??? Carroll doesn't give the ball to Texas at the 40 with 2 min to go???

It was VERY CLEAR to ANYONE that watched the game the USC was in  TOTAL control of the game after the 1st quarter. To suggest that USC didn't stub it's toes several times, is JUST PLAIN DUMB!!

1249815[/snapback]

What if you Aunt had balls?

She'd be your uncle!

You can play the "what if" thing in every game in every sport. "What if" Texas didn't fumble the punt return on their first possession, etc., etc.? :D

Unlike your vision of the game, I didn't look at it as if USC was in "TOTAL" control of the game after the first quarter. The final score is what counts, and when a defense gives up 200 yards rushing and 265 yards passing to ONE guy, I don't assess that as being in control.

For the record, I'm not a fan of either team. Based on what I saw last night, Texas is the better team and they deserved to win. They weren't handed anything.

First chance I've had to get to the boards all day... I was so disappointed in USC decisions and defense that it's hard to say just how good Texas is. No doubt Texas was the better team last night, but I don't think USC made it exactly difficult either.

In hindsight, I really would have liked to have seen an Ohio State-Texas rematch... all things considered in the first week of January, 2006, I think they are the two best teams right now. But alas, that would move us into a playoff discussion....

Junkyard

you're an idiot.

1249787[/snapback]

:D

I'll have to differ to Mel Kiper and Richard Justice , whom agree the EVERY single USC starter from last night will play in the NFL, i'd say that justifies my statement the USC is the best team, while Texas=Young.

IMO , USC lost this game clearly, if the roles were reversed, everyone would be saying how poorly Mack handled the end of the game, going for it on 4th and 2 around midfield, calling a TO after the TD on the extra point attempt. Then they'd go on to say how Texas got screwed by not having the biggest play of the game reviewed.

Texas played great and deserved the win, but USC was the better TEAM by a longshot.

Pete Carroll cost USC the game , along with some very out of character mistakes by Bush and top on some very poor officiating and there you have it.

USC wins this game 8 out of 10 times.

1249784[/snapback]

While I would agree that USC lost the game, I would think it is because UT won the game. The silly notion that USC would win 8 out of 10 times I guess is said to make people feel better about losing somehow but if you are clearly pulling numbers out of the air, why not call it 999 out of a 1000 and feel even better that USC could not stop Texas and yet could not score when it mattered most. Most the games I see have two teams and the better one is, by definition, the one that won.

Pete Carroll did not cost them the game, he was instrumental in them even being there. Bush did not cost them the game, he was another reason there were even there. The officiating had nothing to do with it since at most there were equal bad calls for both sides except the bad one against Texas would have given them the ball and the bad one against the Trojans would have set up Texas on the ten yard line with a first down in the second quarter anyway. Oh yeah - that call really swayed the game that had USC leading by 12 30 minutes of playing time later.

It was a great game throughout and people can break it down however suits their fancy, but the bottom line is that the two best teams played each other - more on USC hometurf conveniently unmentioned - and UT pulled out a dramatic comeback to win the game. All the rationalizations about how it happened or creative imaginings regarding "best team" is the height of speciousness.

Both teams played to win the game and UT outplayed and outscored USC. Ergo, they are the better team. Sportswriters may be backtracking now and throwing out "best team" stuff because they sort of look stupid now that USC could not pull off a win when it mattered most.

Admittedly I went to UT, but even if I had not, I would consider that game to be one of the most exciting games I have ever witnessed. I do find it entertaining to listen to how some want to still take the stance "we lost but oh yeah, we are still better".

Must be playing a different game where points do not matter, I guess.

While I would agree that USC lost the game, I would think it is because UT won the game. The silly notion that USC would win 8 out of 10 times I guess is said to make people feel better about losing somehow but if you are clearly pulling numbers out of the air, why not call it 999 out of a 1000 and feel even better that USC could not stop Texas and yet could not score when it mattered most. Most the games I see have two teams and the better one is, by definition, the one that won.

Pete Carroll did not cost them the game, he was instrumental in them even being there. Bush did not cost them the game, he was another reason there were even there. The officiating had nothing to do with it since at most there were equal bad calls for both sides except the bad one against Texas would have given them the ball and the bad one against the Trojans would have set up Texas on the ten yard line with a first down in the second quarter anyway. Oh yeah - that call really swayed the game that had USC leading by 12 30 minutes of playing time later.

It was a great game throughout and people can break it down however suits their fancy, but the bottom line is that the two best teams played each other - more on USC hometurf conveniently unmentioned - and UT pulled out a dramatic comeback to win the game. All the rationalizations about how it happened or creative imaginings regarding "best team" is the height of speciousness.

Both teams played to win the game and UT outplayed and outscored USC. Ergo, they are the better team. Sportswriters may be backtracking now and throwing out "best team" stuff because they sort of look stupid now that USC could not pull off a win when it mattered most.

Admittedly I went to UT, but even if I had not, I would consider that game to be one of the most exciting games I have ever witnessed. I do find it entertaining to listen to how some want to still take the stance "we lost but oh yeah, we are still better".

Must be playing a different game where points do not matter, I guess.

1249859[/snapback]

:D couldn't take it anymore, huh?

OSU jumped my a$$ simply because I thought he might have had to work or something and didn't know the score. :D

:D couldn't take it anymore, huh?

OSU jumped my a$$ simply because I thought he might have had to work or something and didn't know the score.  :D

1249866[/snapback]

Not jumping your ass at all, I justed posted a very valid question to the board and as usual, the Big 12 Homers come running.

The simple point of the post was to see if there are any unbias opinons of the game and clearly there are not. The only reason i stand with USC on this one, is the constant lack of respect various forum members have shown for there 3 great seasons, and had the ball bounced in another direction, i could only imagine the excuses and Mack Brwon bashing that would be going on. The difference in the game is clear to me, Mack didn't do ANYTHING and Carroll's ego got the best of him and cost them the win.

I find it funny to get the "pile on" for a discussion that should be had , considering the poorly officiated and played game on many levels.

A.lthough the officiating was poor, it impacted both sides.

Bottom line: USC let Texas score 12 points with under 6 minutes to play. That's why they lost and the officiating had nothing to do with it.

For everyone who wants to point and cry about bad calls: go back to South Bend this year and the blown non-call of Bush pushing Leinart into the endzone. Without that call, USC isn't playing last night.

This is a legitimate question that needs to be asked.  WHAT IF:  If Young wasn't handed the TD when his knee was down???  Carroll doesn't call his last TO on an extra point attempt???? Bush doesn't try to pitch the ball and fumble??? Carroll doesn't give the ball to Texas at the 40 with 2 min to go???

It was VERY CLEAR to ANYONE that watched the game the USC was in  TOTAL control of the game after the 1st quarter. To suggest that USC didn't stub it's toes several times, is JUST PLAIN DUMB!!

This Horn win has created many new supporters of the program like Sgt. Ryan, etc.. etc... but to not SEE the truth is rediculous.

1249815[/snapback]

Man. It must be like the off-season already.

WHAT IF:  If Young wasn't handed the TD when his knee was down??? 

Texas has the ball first and ten on the 10-yard line. They had seven scoring drives in the game, why would having the ball on the 10-yard line with first down be any different?

Carroll doesn't call his last TO on an extra point attempt????

They ran two plays. One had Bush going out of bounds to kill the clock and the other was an incompletion that killed the clock. How would having a time out mattered with only time for two plays anyway? Not like the final play happened and they could not get off a snap before time expired. What happens? the exact same thing.

Bush doesn't try to pitch the ball and fumble???

Ah, but 8 out of 10 times he scores a touchdown and wins the game. See - I can do it too!

Carroll doesn't give the ball to Texas at the 40 with 2 min to go???

I was not aware that Carroll instructed anyone to take a knee so Texas could have the ball. I did see him call the same play that scored two other touchdowns. So like, it would be 9 out of 10 times that play gets a first down there. He ran it up the gut which had been extremely successful the entire game. What play would you have called?

Hands down the most amazing statement yet. I mean seriously. If they controlled the game from the first quarter, why did UT post 16 straight points in the second quarter? USC only had two back-to-back scoring drives, UT had 3.

Let's play some more!

What if Texas did not fumble the first punt after stuffing the opening drive?

What if the two defenders did not hit each other, allowing Jarrett to score a 22-yard touchdown?

What if the UT linebacker did not let Reggie Bush have the corner on his 26-yard TD run?

What if UT didn't miss a field goal AND an extra point?

Seems to me like UT should have won 45-17 playing that game. USC just got so darn lucky to make it a close game!!! :D

who does, ever agree with you.  even other OSU fans think you are a Megan Fox. I just like to get you going, and its so d@mn easy to do.

1249923[/snapback]

I realize you living large with that big win over Oregon, where there starter was out for the game and Ryan Leaf's little brother was in at QB. It's a wonder how OU was able to stop the Oregon offense :D

Man. It must be like the off-season already.

Texas has the ball first and ten on the 10-yard line. They had seven scoring drives in the game, why would having the ball on the 10-yard line with first down be any different?

They ran two plays. One had Bush going out of bounds to kill the clock and the other was an incompletion that killed the clock. How would having a time out mattered with only time for two plays anyway? Not like the final play happened and they could not get off a snap before time expired. What happens? the exact same thing.

Ah, but 8 out of 10 times he scores a touchdown and wins the game. See - I can do it too!

I was not aware that Carroll instructed anyone to take a knee so Texas could have the ball. I did see him call the same play that scored two other touchdowns. So like, it would be 9 out of 10 times that play gets a first down there. He ran it up the gut which had been extremely successful the entire game. What play would you have called?

Hands down the most amazing statement yet. I mean seriously. If they controlled the game from the first quarter, why did UT post 16 straight points in the second quarter? USC only had two back-to-back scoring drives, UT had 3.

Let's play some more!

What if Texas did not fumble the first punt after stuffing the opening drive?

What if the two defenders did not hit each other, allowing Jarrett to score a 22-yard touchdown?

What if the UT linebacker did not let Reggie Bush have the corner on his 26-yard TD run?

What if UT didn't miss a field goal AND an extra point?

Seems to me like UT should have won 45-17 playing that game. USC just got so darn lucky to make it a close game!!!  :D

1249930[/snapback]

Now, you know the name of the game :D

I realize you living large with that big win over Oregon, where there starter was out for the game and Ryan Leaf's little brother was in at QB.  It's a wonder how OU was able to stop the Oregon offense  :D

1249931[/snapback]

OU beat the hell outta that so called starting Qb in 2004, and I wish like hell he did play, it would have been closer to the tech Cal game from last yr instead of only 17-10.

OU stopped USC to start the game, went right down and scored and were in control.  then the turnovers began, and it snowballed.  That OU team beat this texas team 12-0 and is their last loss.  OU played USC 10 times, OU wins 8 of them.

1249800[/snapback]

OK .... Step away fom the bottle ........ :D

A.lthough the officiating was poor, it impacted both sides.

Bottom line: USC let Texas score 12 points with under 6 minutes to play. That's why they lost and the officiating had nothing to do with it.

For everyone who wants to point and cry about bad calls: go back to South Bend this year and the blown non-call of Bush pushing Leinart into the endzone. Without that call, USC isn't playing last night.

1249905[/snapback]

Let it rest Pope. The Irish could not beat USC on their best day! They got dominated by the Buckeyes. Please, please stop talking about the always overrated Irish! ::D

some of you fake USC fans make no sense at all. You can't argue worth a crap so you might as well accept the fact that Texas is a better team.

Yes Vince's knee was down, but it doesn't matter he woulda scored on the next play.

a few plays in this game could be bitched about but it doesn't matter

1)The Knee down

2)Texas INT that knocked out when he hit the ground

Texas fumbled on 3 of their first 4 times to touch the ball, missed an INT on the 1st or 2nd USC possession so I don't wanna hear anything about one lame play causing the loss. If texas holds onto the ball they dominate this game. Vince showed how terrible the USC defense is and USC showed how powerful their offense was. The texas special teams didn't even show up to this game, no blocked kicks, not great returns, a muffed punt, and you're telling me usc is a FAR BETTER team? You need to get off the trojans wang and watch some football. Vince did like he did all year, complete an insane % of passes and control the game. USC knew it was over on the 2nd to last possession just as everyone in the stadium. A few fans on the USC side (60% USC 40% Texas at the game) said that the Texas side was DEAFENING during the fight songs. USC was clearly surprised that Texas was even IN this game which doesn't surprised me at all after watching the media and the stubborn USC fans talk about how they should have killed Texas like OU last year. Texas last year lost 12-0 to OU which was 6-0 until <2 min left, and we are a far better team than last year. Vince threw a pick or two and fumbled twice on the OU side of the field, and has turned into a completely different player since that game last year. After that game Mack took VY in and started to let him do whatever he wanted (go google for some articles, they're all over) and apparently it worked out b/c he has dominated ever since.

I think USC wins at least 6/10 vs last year's OU and 3 vs this year's Texas if they are lucky. Clearly Texas was able to put the pressure on the USC offense, something that they haven't seen all year, and they still put up #'s = to Texas. If you watched the game USC proved that they clearly have a ridiculously powerly offense, but Texas was somehow able to still win. Texas is a better team hands down, and anyone who argues that is insane or very biased. Our kicker sucked and the D gave up a ton of points (still had a few key stops and an INT) but overall a much better team. People who think Vince just now came about are insane, I send you to find some video of Vince over the last 2 years since OU in '04 because he's been doing this since then.

Texas earned the win, period. 12 points in 5 minutes and you're telling me that USC lost it? I want a hit of whatever you are smoking and I'm happy that the media showed us no love b/c we proved what all the unbiased people knew, Texas is better.