[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Food storage questions.

Skippy

Here goes:

If I cut up and cook a pound of bacon how long can I store it? Refrigerator time? Freezer time?

If I cook a few chicken breast then cut them up how long can I store them? Refrigerator time? Freezer time?

If I was to prepare a head of lettuce and want to store it to make a quick salad, (I mean quick), can I break it up into pieces and store it in a closed container in the refrigerator for a few days?

If I do want to the lettuce chopped up into pieces am I correct in thinking that you should never cut it with a knife if you are going to save it but rather tear it with your hands?

Is it a no no to thaw out frozen chicken breast and then cook them only to freeze them again to use at a later time?

I know that some of these questions will seem dumb to you culinary gurus but I have always been afraid to freeze food after I have cooked it. And I don’t do well with things that sat in the refrigerator for a day or two as I just always think things are spoiled.

BTW – before you store anything that you may have cooked off, you should always let it cool before putting in the freezer, right?

Edited by Skippy

Here goes:

If I cut up and cook a pound of bacon how long can I store it?  Refrigerator time?  Freezer time?

raw bacon: in the fridge about a week; freezer, a long ass time.

cooked bacon: you can actually leave it out at room temp for a couple of days; fridge maybe about 4; i wouldn't both freezing cooked bacon.

If I cook a few chicken breast then cut them up how long can I store them?  Refrigerator time?  Freezer time?

raw: fridge about 2-3 day; freezer several weeks.

cooked:  fridge about 3-4 days; freezer about 10- 14 days

If I was to prepare a head of lettuce and want to store it to make a quick salad, (I mean quick), can I break it up into pieces and store it in a closed container in the refrigerator for a few days? 

yes.  different greens have different duration.  romaine lasts abot 2-3 days before browning (just being brown doesn't mean it's bad).  mixed greens  and spinach will last 3-4 before wilting.

If I do want to the lettuce chopped up into pieces am I correct in thinking that you should never cut it with a knife if you are going to save it but rather tear it with your hands?

knife is fine... on more fragile greens go by hand (ie: bibb)

Is it a no no to thaw out frozen chicken breast and then cook them only to freeze them again to use at a later time?

you can definitely cook and freeze.  :D  in fact... that is a great way to "save" food from spoilage.

I know that some of these questions will seem dumb to you culinary gurus but I have always been afraid to freeze food after I have cooked it.  And I don’t do well with things that sat in the refrigerator for a day or two as I just always think things are spoiled. 

BTW – before you store anything that you may have cooked off, you should always let it cool before putting in the freezer, right?

YES.  VERY IMPORTANT TO COOL IT BEFORE WRAPPING IT. SHOULD NOT BE WARM AT ALL

1261248[/snapback]