[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

GFPFFL Brian W

Sgt. Ryan

I still consider the 03' Fiesta Bowl the best game I've ever seen, just because that game had a little defense mixed in. Last night you saw 2 very great offenses, but also you saw 2 very mediocre defenses .

Tressell did have his chance to punt against Texas earlier in the year in which he coulda won, he instead tried for a long field goal which was missed giving Texas a short field. I don't care how bad my defense is playing, Texas got no big plays last night , and USC had a lot of success with the blitz, but Carroll held back all night long for whatever reason, and paid for it. Right to the very end. Texas had success with one general play... Vince Young, run right, go for 9-15 yards. USC couldn't stop it. Then again, Texas couldn't stop USC either. Texas happened to have the ball last, and won the game.

And sarge... Willis was healthy for most of the 03' Fiesta Bowl and didn't do anything. He had one good drive, so I hardly think he made sooooooooo much of a difference, especially since the game shoulda been over in regulation when there was no PI called on Miami when Gamble woulda got a first down, which woulda sealed it for Ohio State. Everyone moans about the PI in Overtime, but the game shoulda never been in Overtime to begin with. Ohio State outclassed and outplayed that Miami team.

1249999[/snapback]

Texas Defense was ranked in the top 10 nationally. And the Texas defense is the one that stepped up to get the ball back, to win the game, and held SC from scoring on their final drive. Texas also intercepted Leinart in their own end zone in the first half, and intercepted him again, but the Refs blew that call. , but those are not big defensive plays, right Brian.

Carroll had no success with the blitz and feared Young running it 80 yards on him, and was arrogant enough to think Young couldnt pass to win the game.

And USC had the ball last, and lost.

Magahee had his best drive on his final full drive before getting hurt, as he had finally wore downt he OSu defense. Why do you only tell half the story.

Well there are 4 fatal flaws to your post.

It's just a difference of opinion sarge. And name calling Ohio States program is kinda like the pot calling the kettle black. Theres a reason Jokelahoma was a true joke in the 90's. Barry Switzer even said that the only difference between College and the NFL, is that in the NFL there is a salary cap. It seems that you're the one that is biased, and once again neglect to remember that the OSU-Miami game shoulda never even been in overtime due to the PI no call on Miami in regulation that would have sealed it for Ohio State. And I don't care what anyone says about the "Bogus" PI call, seems to me, if you have a handful of a guys jersey, and don't even really look like you're going for the ball, it seems that would qualify as Pass Interference. And yeah, Texas defense was helpless the entire 2nd have, as USC was doing whatever they wanted. They stopped them on 4th and 2, after Reggie Bush made his 2nd bonehead move of the game by running out of bounds and stopping the clock. I still say they shoulda played the percentages and punted, but they didn't. Texas stopped them, and the USC defense, like the Texas defense couldn't stop 1 play, and 1 player. It was a great game, but it's my opinion (Thats what this thread is about) that it isn't the best game of all time, much less the best game I've ever seen. So with all of that said, I say congratulations to Texas, but more importantly, congrats to Vince Young. The One Man Team. Oh and sarge, do you still think Texas is MORE than just Vince Young? Looked to me like if Texas didn't have Young, they woulda suffered a similar fate to your Sooners. And why don't you truly let everyone know how little you know about college football, and tell me one more time who was better, USC in 04' or Oklahoma in 04'? Just so everyone can see you say it again. Imagine Texas with Buckle Knees White at the helm.

1251997[/snapback]

So is or isnt Texas a 1 man team.

There just wasn't the suspense in this game COMPARED to the 03' Fiesta. The way this 4th quarter played out, it was pretty obvious what hte result was gonna be. Whoever had the ball last was gonna win, because both defenses were helpless. Contrast to the 03' Fiesta where from gun to gun, no one knew who was gonna win. It had more DRAMATIC plays. The 06' Rose Bowl game deserves consideration, but in a couple years when everyone can put it all into perspective, I think that no one outside of Texas will probably think of it as the greatest game ever. And if you took the fact that it was for a national championship, the 05' Rose Bowl game between Michigan and Texas was better. Just not enough suspense for my taste, and that's what I look for in a game where I don't care who wins.

1250594[/snapback]

Where is the suspense in the 03 Fiesta. a PI play finally sealed the deal for OSU, and had it been called correctly, Miami wins.

SC led Texas by 12 with 6 mins left. Everyone thought the game was over, Texas stops SC's short yardage back Lendale White who has gashed them all night on 4th and 2, and Texas got the ball back again. Texas drove the field and scored, but left 19 second on the clock. SC in 1 play was at the Texas 43, before Leinart made a huge mistake of burning the final 9 seconds off the clock just running around, instead of throwing a 20 yard out, and then trying to get a FG attempt or a 1st down at the 23 for a final play. The last 6 mins were what made the game, the drama of Texas down by 12, scoring, stopping SC, scoring again, then stopping SC on the final drive of the game as time expired.

Well he is kind of right... the BCS isn't a national championship. It merely is a formula to determine #1 and #2. Or in the case of 2003 "#1" and #2. The Coaches Poll still determines the national champion, but by a binding contract they vote whoever wins that game #1. As I pointed out before... that is the ONLY reason teh coaches voted for LSU in 2003. Because they had too. USC was #1 in both polls. Everyone knew even back in 1998, that the BCS, although some argue it was a step in the right direction, also knew that there was still, a possibility of a split national championship. You can denounce the AP Poll all you want, but they've been crowning national championships long before the BCS was an itch in ABC's money grubbing pants. If you remember correctly, in 2003, there was a lot of speculation of coaches actually breaching the contract and voting for USC instead, because lets make something perfectly clear, thats who they really would have voted for. The crime in 03' was clearly Oklahoma, getting destroyed in there conference championship game, and still being #1 in the BCS. First of all, there should be a rule in place saying that if you don't win your conference championship, you don't deserve to be in a national championship game. LSU, beat the 4th best team AT BEST in the Sugar Bowl that year, as Michigan or USC were both superior teams. Heck, Ohio State was a better team as they handled the same Kansas State team that blew out Oklahoma. That was the real crime in 2003. #1 and #2 didn't meet. #2 and #5 did.

1263835[/snapback]

So the NFL playoffs should only be 8 teams, as if you dont win the divison you shouldnt have a shot at the Super Bowl. Nice logic, idiot.

And I suppose Carolina shouldnt be in the playoffs, as they are a worse team than New Orleans, because New Orleans beat them in Carolina, and since New Orleans beat Carolin, and Green Bay and Detroit, beat new Orleans, they are also better than the Carolina Panthers. Again, nice logic Einstein.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

Texas Defense was ranked in the top 10 nationally.  And the Texas defense is the one that stepped up to get the ball back, to win the game, and held SC from scoring on their final drive.  Texas also intercepted Leinart in their own end zone in the first half, and intercepted him again, but the Refs blew that call. , but those are not big defensive plays, right Brian.

Carroll had no success with the blitz and feared Young running it 80 yards on him, and was arrogant enough to think Young couldnt pass to win the game.

And USC had the ball last, and lost. 

Magahee had his best drive on his final full drive before getting hurt, as he had finally wore downt he OSu defense.  Why do you only tell half the story.

Well there are 4 fatal flaws to your post.

So is or isnt Texas a 1 man team.

Where is the suspense in the 03 Fiesta.  a PI play finally sealed the deal for OSU, and had it been called correctly, Miami wins. 

SC led Texas by 12 with 6 mins left.  Everyone thought the game was over, Texas stops SC's short yardage back Lendale White who has gashed them all night  on 4th and 2, and Texas got the ball back again.  Texas drove the field and scored, but left 19 second on the clock.  SC in 1 play was at the Texas 43, before Leinart made a huge mistake of burning the final 9 seconds off the clock just running around, instead of throwing a 20 yard out, and then trying to get a FG attempt or a 1st down at the 23 for a final play.  The last 6 mins were what made the game, the drama of Texas down by 12, scoring, stopping SC, scoring again, then stopping SC on the final drive of the game as time expired.

So the NFL playoffs should only be 8 teams, as if you dont win the divison you shouldnt have a shot at the Super Bowl.  Nice logic, idiot. 

And I suppose Carolina shouldnt be in the playoffs, as they are a worse team than New Orleans, because New Orleans beat them in Carolina, and since New Orleans beat Carolin, and  Green Bay and Detroit, beat new Orleans, they are also better than the Carolina Panthers.    Again, nice logic Einstein.

1264074[/snapback]

A. Texas gave up 595 yards of total offense. That isn't good. Granted they were playing USC, but Texas defensive ranking was deceptively good, considering the lack of offense in the Big 12 outside of Texas Tech. Texas had seen better defenses throughout there year, including the best defense in the nation in Ohio State in the opening game. USC had the ball with 19 seconds. So, they had it last on a technicality with no timeouts left (there own mistake). I hardly consider that a major chance, so I think we can safely say that Texas had the last meaningful drive. Fair enough? And yeah, if you watch the game, when USC blitzed they had a lot more success, becaue there were more guys to try and get to Young, vs just sending 4. The idea behind playing Young is to make him beat you with the throw. The only play USC got burnt blitzing, was on the Ramonce Taylor Touchdown run for 30 yards in the 2nd quarter. They bottom line is if you're trying to convince me that Texas looked like a top 10 defense in that game while giving up 595 yards of offense, then you're more blind than I thought. I don't care if it was USC or not, 595 yards is 595 yards. Texas made some good plays, the int in the end zone was great, and they had a good gameplan in slowing down Bush, but 595 yards. nuff said. Neither defense was able to do much. Sorry but those are the facts.

B. Talk about half of the story. AGAIN... 03' Fiesta. The game shouldnt have even been in overtime to begin with. And Mcgahee had his best drive on the drive BEFORE he went out. Watch the game again. The only drive Mcgahee had any kind of success was the drive where he scored the td. You can sit there and slice it up all you want, but Mcgahee didn't do sh|t in that game. Furthermore, I'm sorry, but when you're dubbed as the "greatest team ever" like 02' Miami was, then you should be able to survive an injury. And finally, Ohio States defense didn't look "worn" down to me at all, in regulation, or in overtime. What I saw was Ken Dorsey on his a$$ the entire game, and the Miami juggernaut offense relegated to next to nothing. And since the game did go into Overtime (which it shouldn't have if the "correct" call was made in regulation) where I come from, if a guy has a handful of jersey and isn't even looking for the ball, that's pass interference. I may be in the minority on that one, but maybe if the Miami defender was looking for the ball, he wouldn't have been called.

C. You're comparing College Football to the NFL. Bottom line is, in a system where only 2 teams get to play for a "National Championship" then yeah, you should have to win your conference to be there. If the system was more inclusive and was like the NFL and decided there championship like every other sport does, then I would agree with you, Oklahoma should have at least been in the playoffs. Oklahoma wasn't even the best team in there own conference. Maybe you could give me that argument if either A. Kansas State only beat them by 2 or 3 points or B. If Kansas State beat them really early in the year, and Oklahoma finished the year strong and won there conference anyway, but neither of those happened. Oklahoma didn't deserve to share the same field as Kansas State. All Oklahoma proved was they were at best the 4th best team in the nation. 03' Iowa woulda beat Oklahoma. And furthermore, the Big 12 wasn't that good that year. The top 3 teams in your conference each got beat in Bowl game. If your top 3 teams go 0-3, then I'm sorry, your conference isn't very good. And the bottom line is, the BCS jobbed USC. They were #1 in both polls. End of story. Theres a reason why the BCS puts more emphasis on the polls now, it's because everyone besides Oklahoma fans, knows that Oklahoma didn't deserve to be there.

First off, Iowa would not have beaten OU in 03, that is absurd.

Second, SC was not jobbed, why did anyone think they also with 1 loss, desrved to be #1. Who had SC beaten to that point before or after. OU beat a Vince Young led team, and beat them badly. OU scored 50 pts 8 times, and beat 7 bowl teams. They obviously read their own headlines about being one of the best college teams ever before the Kansas State game, but choked, badly. Kansas State took it to them, and that is the worse loss OU has had in the Bob Stoops era. OU didnt give them the game, Kansas State beat them up, and ran it down their throat. They also injured Jason White, and that had no factor on that game what so ever, but it certainly did vs LSU, and LSU should not have won that game. OU was 17 yards from tying the score on a beaten up, gased defense at the end of that game, but the play calling was terrible at the end of that drive. I blame that on the coaching. A INT by a DL at the 5 yard line determined that game. OU played like Athena in the first half but was clearly the better team once they settled down in the 2nd half, giving up nothing on offense, defensively. It my opinion OU was the best team in the country in both 03 and 04, but they lost the games that mattered. I do not however think OU was the best team in 2000 when they beat heavily favored Fla St. But they won the game and the title anyway.

As far as the winning your conference championship argument, that simply doesnt hold water. The Big 10 or Pac 10 do not even have this game, so even if KSU was on the schedule, they are still Big 12 Champs with the loss, and in those conferences they do not even play the game. All things considered its a joke that college football doesnt have a universal standard for determing conference championships, but in the Big 10 or Pac 10, OU would have still been the Champs so they deserved to be there. Plus the lose early isntead of late is a joke too. What if you play cupcakes the 2nd half, and top teams early on. Does that make you more worthy if another team plays a tougher schedule later. Again, teh BS we have to deal with in NCAA football.

As far as bowl games are concerned matchups have everything to do with that. Had OSU or Penn St played Texas or SC, they lose. Both got cupcakes. and Im not faulting them for taking care of business. I just do not judge a conference by its bowl games, exclusively. I do however throw it in the face of others when they do, and it doestnt work out, like Id expect if I ran my mouth and I was dead wrong. Which happens, no doubt.

The Big 12 had a down yr. Anytime OU loses 4 games, its a down yr for the conference. Texas had a tremendous yr, and carried the conference. Sc has been carrying the Puke 10 for 4 yrs, take them out, and that is worse the the Big East.

I dont not expect people to agree with this, but I believe without a doubt OU lost 2 golden opportunites to prove they were the best team in he country in 03 and 04. its easy to say they lost, so there is no way, but neither game convinced me, they were not. Nothing like the Kansas St loss, which still haunts the Sooner Faithful.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

First off, the only thing absurd, is anything you post.

Secondly, if you expect anyone in this forum, much less me, to believe that Oklahoma was better than Kansas State in 2003 after getting trounced, much less better than USC in 04 after getting trounced, then you seriously need to put the crackpipe down, and check into rehab right away. As I said earlier, if you only lost by a couple points, maybe even 1 td, then there might be some validity, but your team got killed. Face it, Oklahoma was overrated both of those years, and theres nothing you can say to convince me any different. I watched that so called great Oklahoma team get embarassed the first time they faced a team that had the guts to stand up to them. And in 2004, at least you did take care of business, and I'm not in the boat where people say the sooners didn't deserve to be there, although I do think Auburn was a much better match up for the Trojans. I can't say that an undefeated team out of a major conference doesn't deserve a shot. I'm sorry though, but anytime you give up 50+ points, you aren't a great team by any stretch of any imagination. To my knowledge, you are the only Sooner fan to even suggest that, and THAT my friend, is absurd in itself. Just be thankful, you guys had a tremendous offensive line for those 2 years, because old Buckle Knees White woulda had you guys with about 7 total wins in both of those years.