[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Crock pot

ChuckB

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rhippens-used your recipe for Empanada filling-worked out just fine-had refried black beans and spanish rice to go with a white Sangria loaded with brandy-not a dammm thing leftover- :D

1284242[/snapback]

well, i'm thinking that's a good thing. i hope you enjoyed it. i am thinking that more meat could be added with a little more soda and onions. probably cook it for another hour or two, but obviously i haven't tried this yet.

• 2 weeks later...
I am cookin the chili now, smells good. Figured I'd make it tonight and reheat it tomorrow.

1305822[/snapback]

WHAT???

I wanted it fresh. :D

I'm making Mac & Cheese in the crockpot. Thought about baked but wanted something that will stay warm.

16oz. macaroni, cooked and drained (I'm using shells instead of elbow)

4 tbsp oil

2 - 13oz. cans of evaporated milk

3 cups milk

2 tsp salt

32oz. (1 box) Velveeta, cubed

1 cup grated cheddar cheese

1/2 cup melted butter

Toss cooked macaroni with oil

Add all remaining ingredients

Pour into lightly greased 6 quart crock pot

Stir well

Cover

Cook on low 3 - 4 hours, stirring occasionally

I really wanted a recipe that only used real cheese (and found several, however some of the reviews were negative as far as creaminess of the cheese in the crock pot). We shall see.

Edited by Puddy

WHAT???

I wanted it fresh.  :D

1305879[/snapback]

haha.

i got mine in at about 7 this morning. i love the way it makes your house smell all day. i've done it the night before once, and it was still good, but not quite the same.

i hope you guys enjoy it!

Rhip, chili turned out good. I cut down on the jalapenos and chili powder cause I wasn't sure if everyone would be OK with spicy, I knew there were a few that definitely didn't like spicy. I liked it and next time I make it for myself I'll bump up the jalapenos and chili pepper.

Thanks again for the recipe :D

Absolutely! I would love a good chili recipe, keepin in mind it can't be too hot, the children have to eat it too. :D Actually I could make them somethin else.

1274773[/snapback]

Here is a good chicken chili recipe - this won't be too spicy for the kids at all . . . but if you like heat you could easily crank it up by using hotter peppers or some cayenne.

White Chicken Chili

2 ½ - 3 lbs skinless, boneless chicken breast

4 Tbsp taco seasoning

3 or 4 Tbsp olive oil

1 large onion, finely chopped

3 cloves garlic, minced

2 fresh jalapeno chilis, seeded and minced

1 lb bag of white (navy) beans, or 4 – 15 oz cans – if using dry beans (preferred) boil them for 2 minutes then cover and let stand for one hour, or soak overnight

1 tsp chili powder

1 tsp cumin

½ tsp salt

½ tsp black pepper

2 can chicken broth

1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, plus additional for garnish

Sour cream

Fresh cilantro leaves, chopped

Fresh tomatoes, chopped

1. Slice chicken into 1-inch chunks; sprinkle with 2 Tbsp of the taco seasoning; toss to combine

2. Warm 1 Tbsp oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Working in batches brown chicken for 2 minutes per side.

3. Warm 1 Tbsp oil in same skillet over medium-low heat. Cook onion, garlic and jalapeno 2 minutes, stirring. Add beans, chili powder, cumin, salt, and peppers; cook 2 more minutes, stirring.

4. Add chicken and bean mixture to crockpot; stir in 1 ½ cans of the broth and remaining taco seasoning. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.

5. Stir in 1 cup shredded cheese – depending how thick or thin you like it you may want to add the other ½ can of chicken broth here. Cook another hour.

5. Top servings with sour cream, chopped cilantro, tomatoes, and additional shredded cheese.

This is great the next day and also makes tee-riffic chicken burritos. Add a little chicken broth (or water) when you re-heat it.

Nah - he showed up a couple of hours after me.  I was way past the food stage and committed to the beer stage for the rest of the night.

1314536[/snapback]

Solid point. Once you past the food stage, it's hard to go back, especially if you pack it in early on like me.

Come one Chuck, what's more important, Church with your daughter singing or getting to the SB Party early. Sheesh, get your priorities straight. :D

Solid point.  Once you past the food stage, it's hard to go back, especially if you pack it in early on like me.

Come one Chuck, what's more important, Church with your daughter singing or getting to the SB Party early.  Sheesh, get your priorities straight.  :D

1315195[/snapback]

Yeah sooner or later I'll realize the Sb is more inportant than family, I always have had my priorities out of whack. There's still hope for me though :D

We have tried 2 different chicken and dumplings prepackaged freezer things and they have both been very good. I love making homemade chili in the crockpot the best though, that and pot roast with poatoes and veggies...mmmmmmm

Edited by T_bone65

highly recommend rhippens Coca-Cola Carnitas, the whole family ate too much. definently a great change in taste for pork sandwiches. the only way i'm used to makin pork was bar-b-q and terioki so this was perfect, the kids and wife still added bar-b-q to there bun but i liked it straight-up. next time i make it, i'm adding more jalipeno to get some more spice, just used about 3/4 of one so i would'nt blow the kids away but the overall flavor was AWESOME...everyone wants leftovers tonight, it's a keeper........thanks