[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

USC Billboard

neilfish2

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the part about donating the excess to the Katrina fund. Now, if they're smart enough to give the whole $10K to more people in New Orleans who really need it (instead of a stupid billboard that is really just a big joke), I'll be more impressed. But I doubt it...

Think about it - all the people who gave real $ for this instead of sending whatever they could to the Katrina fund should be ashamed. But there is no law against being stupid and selfish, alas....

I like the part about donating the excess to the Katrina fund.  Now, if they're smart enough to give the whole $10K to more people in New Orleans who really need it (instead of a stupid billboard that is really just a big joke), I'll be more impressed.  But I doubt it...

Think about it - all the people who gave real $ for this instead of sending whatever they could to the Katrina fund should be ashamed.  But there is no law against being stupid and selfish, alas....

1277181[/snapback]

LMAO, you sound bitter and defeated. Just change your sig and be done with it.

LMAO,  you sound bitter and defeated.  Just change your sig and be done with it.

1277225[/snapback]

Sig line is changed, I'm not bitter or defeated. But the stupid will always be with (among) us...

It's mind-boggling how jealous people are of what USC has accomplished. I, for one, love this stuff!! USC :D

1277279[/snapback]

QUOTE(theprofessor @ 12/10/05 12:46am)

WOW! .... just think how much money you WOULDN'T HAVE if all of us would have taken you up on all those bets!

It's mind-boggling how jealous people are of what USC has accomplished. I, for one, love this stuff!! USC :D

1277279[/snapback]

What did they accomlish, they won 1 title. The press made them out to be something they were not. Best of all time my ass, Texas beat the media hyped best team of all time in their own backyard. No one is hating on SC, its more setting the record straight for all the BS spewed in our face the last 12 months.

Defeated? ....... See USC vs. Oklahoma  :D

1277280[/snapback]

Old news. BTW, nice copycat job on the sig. I should have known you had no creativity what so ever to come up with your own, so you had to steal mine. But guess what, Ill be giving you a sig in 3 short days, so you wont have to steal anyone elses for a long time.

What did they accomlish, they won 1 title.  The press made them out to be something they were not.  Best of all time my ass,  Texas beat the media hyped best team of all time in their own backyard.  No one is hating on SC, its more setting the record straight for all the BS spewed in our face the last 12 months.

1277798[/snapback]

I have to actually agree with you here, except on the first sentence. I cringed every night when ESPN did its hype thing - I just wanted to see us win the game first and then accept glory.

As to the first sentence, please complete it: "they won 1 (BCS) title (and two consecutive AP titles.)" If you choose to completely ignore the other poll, you'd have to throw out any team in the past who got it, including some for your Sooners, I'm sure.

Since we don't have a playoff and they never agreed to be subsumed under the BCS crap, their opinion stands every year. In the 2003-04 season they agreed with the BCS winner, and in 2004-05 they did not. And as I've said before, I personally don't care if we had to share a split title with LSU that year.

Split titles happened many times in the past, and will continue occasionally in the future, until there is a playoff. How many times do we have to say it for the slow - THERE CAN BE NO TRULY UNDISPUTED NATIONAL CHAMP IN NCAA DIV1 FOOTBALL UNTIL THERE IS EITHER A PLAYOFF OR THE AP POLL DISAPPEARS! Even when the 2 final polls agree, like this year and last, there could be a legitimate dispute - like with undefeated Auburn last year. Even as a Trojan homer, who was given the cool "Undisputed" DVD from last year as a father's day gift, I acknowledge this is true.

My father-in-law has a ring (as the team trainer/equipment guy) from his 'national championship' JUCO team that went undefeated in Riverside, CA in the early 90's. Someone somewhere said they voted them that, with only a regional playoff (which they won) and no national playoff - which would take forever. And who can argue? If 2 or 20 other teams made the same kind of rings around the country, we don't care at all, and are happy for them and their families and fans. I thinks its nice that more people can enjoy the feeling that comes along with that. Those kids and coaches work very hard, and who are we to take it away from them? And hey, its a nice looking ring...

Heck, I don't even care if some Auburn fans say we should've shared it with their undefeated Tigers last year too - they deserved a shot that the faulty BCS could not make happen. Are they dreamers or liars? No, I have no problem with their claim. THAT is the true reality that some people (like those that want to waste $10K on a billboard) refuse to accept. It is not the USC fans that cannot face it - at least not this one...

and what if the coaches poll wasn't contractually obligated to vote on the winner of the BCS title game? They woulda all voted for USC, and USC woulda been the undisputed champion. I'm not saying that to make any LSU fans angry, but the facts are the facts. USC was #1 in both polls going into the bowl games. And the coaches poll is the one who OFFICIALLY recognizes the BCS National Championship game. Everyone knew USC woulda wiped the floor with both LSU and Oklahoma in that championship game. They beat Michigan by 14 who was superior to both of them as well.

I do also think it was just ridiculous the way ESPN hyped this team up before playing Texas. I even mentioned in a post before the game, if I'm a Texas player I'm Oprahing PI$$ED.

They raised over 10,000 dollars for it, money talks so I think they will get it placed where ever they want it.

1276782[/snapback]

Unlike where you're from, politicians and government officials can't be bought off. You apparently have no idea how billboards and signage in general works. You can't just put up a sign where ever you want. If that was the case, how about I go put up a billboard that says "neilfish2 is a pillow biter". Think that would get by the local officials? Nope. Neither will this. It's not about the money. Everyone in real estate in the LA area are SC grads. There is a snowflake's chance in Hell that this goes up on any LA billboard.

Everyone knew USC woulda wiped the floor with both LSU and Oklahoma in that championship game. T

1278040[/snapback]

Is this the same "everyone" that knew USC was going to beat UT, or is it a different "everyone". When you randomly mix facts and opinons in absolut statements, it all becomes pretty much meaningless. Certainly more civil then Sarge, but meaningless all the same.

Well it is my opinion rb, however, the FACT is USC WAS #1 in both polls, and it seems pretty screwy to me, that the unanamous #1 in both major polls, not only doesn't get the "National Championship" (In USC haters minds) but don't even get to play in the "National Championship" game. Every team knew, even after hte BCS was formed in 1998, that there was still a possibility of a split National Championship. People were talking about it even in 1998, if Florida State had beaten Tennessee, it's very likely that they would have split the title with 1 loss Ohio State, and even crazier in 1999, if undefeated Virginia Tech had upset Florida State, voters MIGHT have ( I doubt it) but might have moved Nebraska into the #1 slot. And in 2000, there is very little doubt that Miami would have split with Florida State had FSU knocked off #1 Oklahoma. My point is, everyone knew that the split title was still a very real possibility, and as I stated before in a previous post... the AP Poll has been selecting National Champions long before ABC got there money grubbng hands on the BCS. And they have selected national champions ever since the BCS was born, including this year, when Texas won the AP National Championship.

The BCS is a very EXclusive way of determining a national championship. And until there is a playoff, there will never be a True National Champion. Look how close we came this year to having a complete clusterfucc. 1 made fg out of the 5 missed in Auburn-LSU, a fumble in ND-USC, Hamby's easy td drop in OSU-Texas. 3 plays that would give you 6 1 loss teams. That's how close it came. And people are just supposed to accept it when the BCS, and there stupid little formula, tells us who is #1 and #2? Who exactly is #1 and #2 then? It's great for the fans to argue about, but not great for the fans of those teams that get left out, because of the nature of a system that basically allows only 2 teams to compete for a national championship. There needs to be a much more inclusive way to determine this, when you consider that you play 11 teams out of hundreds per year. A playoff is the only true way to decide a national championship. Until then it's just still something that is voted on.

The NCAA had a system in place to recognize the National Champion. Its called the BCS, and the game is the National Championship game. SC was not in that game, it was between OU and LSU. before the BCS, you have a point. This is the same as saying a team that didnt make the playoffs deserved to be the SB Champ. If you dont make the game, you can not be the Champ, its really that simple. SC won 1 title, and led a press poll for another, that was not recognized by the governing party of the NCAA.

Its 7 yrs overdue for the AP to disappear as having anything to do with the NC, as we have a national championship game to determine the title

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

Bet you $10 bucks it goes up.

1278122[/snapback]

I'm done betting with anything related to USC. Those bassturds cost me a pretty penny this past season. But then, of course, in true choking fashion, choked up the biggest one of all when I picked with my heart. It was a great feeling.

I would be VERY surprised if the billboard is put up. If it DOES get put up, I suspect it will go up illegally, and will be removed.

I'm in the real estate industry. I'm in LA. I know how chit operates out here. Again, I'll be completely shocked if something like that is approved and allowed to be put up. Here or anywhere... but ESPECIALLY here.

I'll hold the money...  :D

1278134[/snapback]

:D

I would be VERY surprised if the billboard is put up.  If it DOES get put up, I suspect it will go up illegally, and will be removed. 

:D

1278392[/snapback]

It will not go up illegally. An ad agency in Mobile is donating their time to refine the copy and rent the space. All the $10,000 needs to do is rent the Bill Board; I think their goal is a month. Trust me, for every USC alum in outdoor advertising in the area that will not touch the project, there will be several that will (alum or not). First of, $10,000 is $10,000, unrented space is money that will never be recouped. Second, after it is up, it will become a story. It will be exposure that you could never buy. This has nothing to do with the importance or validity of the message. It is just one of those stories that will be news, some people will agree, some people will laugh, some people will scratch their head, but people will definitely see it.