[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Culpepper to be traded in early March

Guest Sores

Boller showed he could get it done late this season.  The biggest questions surrounding him are if he can actually play a full season and if he can continue the level of play he was exhibiting late this season.  If he does both, the AFC North just got a whole lot more competetive.

1279186[/snapback]

I don't know what games you were watching, and maybe you only saw the Ravens play the Packers and the Vikings, but Boller's days as the Ravens #1 starting QB are done. The Ravens will be looking to FA to acquire a veteran QB.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-- Culpepper Didn't Tell Agent to Say He Wants More Money --

Fri Jan 20, 2006 --from FFMastermind.com

#

The Pioneer Press reports one day after saying Vikings QB Daunte Culpepper is prepared to begin scheduled contract restructuring, his agent said the Vikings quarterback did not authorize him to comment on negotiations or to seek more money from the team. "Daunte's primary focus is on rehabilitating his knee," Mason Ashe said Thursday of Culpepper, who tore three ligaments in his right knee Oct. 30 against the Carolina Panthers. Ashe said he wanted to clarify any misconceptions regarding Culpepper's contract status. In August, the Vikings gave Culpepper an extra $7.5 million in guaranteed money in restructuring his 10-year, $102 million deal signed in May 2003. Ashe said that he, Vikings owner Zygi Wilf and vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski agreed to discuss further restructuring after the 2005 season. Culpepper, whose base salary for 2006 is $2 million, is due a $6 million roster bonus in March.

At the moment Culpepper is damaged goods. No one knows how well his knee will respond to rehab. No one knows if he will return to the field in any way shape or form as the Culpepper of old. And no one knows if he can even beat out Johnson for the starting gig.

If you are going to tell someone that you will do something... then you should do it. However, when you tell a healthy person that you will do something and then that person becomes injured... you hold off on coming through on your promise. The status has changed for that promise.

No matter what... don't see Culpepper being traded. JMHO but I don't see it. If he is healthy he will be coming back and if he is the Culpepper of old he gets the starting gig. If he isn't healthy it will be a moot point.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/s...rs/13666979.htm

They probably read this:

Posted on Fri, Jan. 20, 2006

Vikings may trade CulpepperBY CHARLEY WALTERSPioneer Press) It now seems that the Vikings will trade troubled quarterback Daunte Culpepper to the highest bidder, which could be Oakland or Baltimore, in early March. The Raiders have the No. 6 pick and the Ravens No. 13 in April's draft. Arizona and Miami also could be in the running. Raiders owner Al Davis has an affinity for reclamation projects.

Moving Culpepper for at least a first-round draft pick and a bona fide starter would solve the Vikings' quarterback conflict, allowing Brad Johnson, who would be 38, to start in coach Brad Childress' West Coast offense next season. The Vikings then would have to use a first-round pick to draft a QB to develop and sign a veteran backup, perhaps free agent Chris Weinke of the Carolina Panthers and St. Paul.

) You have to wonder whether Culpepper's recent 45-minute phone conversation with Childress went sour.

Overheard

Charley Walters of the Pioneer Press is the biggest rumor starter in Minnesota. one out of hundred pieces of Athena he throws against a wall sticks.

1279100[/snapback]

Ain't it the truth.

If the Vikings can trade Culpepper for $50, a bottle of ripple, and a diseased hooker right now, that's about as high a value as they're gonna get.

Afirst round pick for CPep?  No way!  With that knee injury and the season he was having, no body is going to give that up.

1280076[/snapback]

Agree. The knee is a huge question mark.

As a Bears fan, I wouldn't mind seeing Culpepper traded out of the NFC North. :D

no way do i give up a first rounder, especially in the first half of the draft for that chubby over-rated fumbling dope.

1281021[/snapback]

Yeah, that would be silly, especially with 2 first ballot hall of famers in Grossman and Orton on the Bears roster. :D

This entire situation is bizarre. I put a lot of stock in the fact that Culpepper is trying to get out of town. There is not ONE good reason for him to be making this request at this particular time. He did not come to Minny to speak to Childress face to face, and from what I can see so far from Childress is that that won't be taken well. I for one would love to see Culpepper back out as Vikings QB, it's worth the money and the time to see what they have in him. IMO - he has one all-world year, a couple of good years in the past 4, and with any kind of defense around, who knows what could have transpired. Let alone some coaching adjustments in some games. I do not accept what happened this past season as being what Culpepper is going to be like moving forward - pending injury recovery. And an adequate - let alone good - Culpepper is good enough for me.

I think the Raiders might consider a trade - I think Al Davis salivates at this kind of thing. I also definitely think Denny Green would go for him - and throw out a first rounder to get him. And looking at the Fitz/Bouldin situation...that could be sweet, although it doesn't address their running game problems. But Denny Green doesn't care about anything except for Denny Green, and he is probably desperate enough to do anything at this point. A splashy Culpepper trade could give some optimism down there.

As much as I like Culpepper and think he is worth the effort, his request is idiotic. The Vikings truly have a chance to move forward aggressively with a clean slate, and some very good players on hand. If Culpepper is going to bring more of the same old crap from before, I can agree that getting rid of him is a good idea. But to trade away what could be a pro bowl QB for several years is a tough decision to make. I need to see what free agent QB's are out there. Could be someone to pair with Johnson, and then they could spend a 2nd or 3rd rounder on a new project.

As a Bears fans you should WANT Culpepper to Start for the Vikings for the rest of your life. Culpepper is awfull without elite WRs and a strong running game, neither of which Minnesota will have in the next couple years.

1281227[/snapback]

Which makes him completely the opposite of most QBs, who are utterly brilliant without elite WRs and a strong running game. :D

Which makes him completely the opposite of most QBs, who are utterly brilliant without elite WRs and a strong running game.  :D

1281240[/snapback]

McNabb helped Eagles to the playoffs without a dominant ground game or average WR's for 3 years....

he had a very good defense to rely on, mind you....but he never lost the game for us...

Culpepper and Culpepper alone is the one driving this. If you want to understand why, you have to try to get inside his head a little bit.

Like most athletes at this level, Culpepper has enough talent to convince himself that he is a future HOF'er that deserves constant prasie even during times of drought.

With his marked decline in production this last season, coupled with his off-field trangressions, and major injury, Culpepper knows that the road back to Superstardom in Minnesota is just going to be too rough on his immature little ego. He wants a fresh start with a team that will welcome his raw talent instead of having to overcome a bunch of negatives.

It's too bad, but if that's wht he wants... see ya!

Expect the Vikings to trade Culpepper for next to nothing now (they don't have much leverage at this point)... the Vikes will trade up for a rookie QB in the draft (or else go for someone like Rivers, or even Rogers God forbid)... then they'll give Johnson the start for a single year while the young QB learns the ropes.

Yeah, that would be silly, especially with 2 first ballot hall of famers in Grossman and Orton on the Bears roster.  :D

1281029[/snapback]

has nothing to do with orton or grossman. i was really talking about the 1st round pick. and personally i don't see culpepper as any first ballot guy either. i would give up a first round pick for big ben, for brees (injury dependent), hasselbeck, manning, etc. a leader that has control. no, regardless of the bears situation, i would not give up a first round pick for culpepper.

McNabb helped Eagles to the playoffs without a dominant ground game or average WR's for 3 years....

he had a very good defense to rely on, mind you....but he never lost the game for us...

1281244[/snapback]

McChunky may be the exception that proves the rule.

McChunky may be the exception that proves the rule.

1281296[/snapback]

It wasn't all McNabb, they had a very good offensive line and running game.

Edit: something Culpepper did not have this year. Anybody would have gotten killed back there.

Edited by Outshined

no way do i give up a first rounder, especially in the first half of the draft for that chubby over-rated fumbling dope.

1281021[/snapback]

Daunte may play next season minus 20 lbs of weight. Maybe Roethlisberger will be the chubby over-rated dope next year. :D

This goes to show that Daunte's clock in his head is too slow. On the field he's looking downfield for receivers for five, six, or seven seconds. Never mind that he should have thrown the ball about 4 seconds ago. The receiver will make his break anytime now. :D

Now he's developed the same problems off the field. His knee is shredded wheat and his playing performance was lousy in 05. Now is the time to ask for a paycheck?

Maybe I am reading things wrong... or maybe I am just slow... but isn't the situation:

Without Culpepper's knowledge, or permission, his agent asks for a raise.

Culpepper, and his agent, were told that they, the Vikes, would take care of things after the season.

Culpepper is po'd at his agent and said agent is on a short leash.

Culpepper may not be able to play again.... and if he does he will be a lot less than the Culpepper of old.

Culpepper started the season, and played until finally put out of his misery, injured and had less mobility than in prior years.

That WOULD be a first. McNabb QB'ing two teams at the same time. What'd you mean to say?

1281520[/snapback]

Just what he said if you read into it. :D

Moss gets traded to Phil to make room for Owens who gets picked up by Oakland.

McNabb starts the season tossing to Moss and then gets traded in mid-season to Oakland where he re-hooks up with Owens.

LOL