[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL rules you would like to change

Randall

Other than that tuck rule I can't see how you can take posession away when the ball goes ot of bounds in the endzone.

Unless the other team secures posession I don't believe officials should give it to the opposing team, as in Champ Bailey's int. last week. If it had gone into the end zone the Patriots would have gotten a touchback. I believe unless the other team secures the ball you should have it where you lost it.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get that either...

1280366[/snapback]

Appears to be a relic of the old rule of if a ball was fumbled forward and went out of bounds, it was spotted where the ball went out of bounds, and the touchback would prevent teams from fumbling the ball into the end zone.

But the rule is now that the ball goes back to the spot of the fumble, so it would make sense that if the ball went into the end zone to put it back to the spot of the fumble.

Another rule that need fixing is if the clock is moving and you commit delae of game, the clock should not move until the ball is snapped again.

the rule where a WR goes up and catches a sideline pass but is pushed out before he lands. It is ruled a completion if they feel he would have landed in bounds if the defender wasn't there to push him out.... Why have defenders then, Isn't that their job!! D.Sanders made a nice living on pushing guys out of bounds!!

Any rule that protects the QB from being hit like any other player.  Slide rule - don't run if you don't want to get hit.  In the grasp - If you don't want a second defender to rip your head off while engaged by another, take the sack.

1280362[/snapback]

Actually, the "in the grasp" rule isn't meant to protect QBs... it's meant to keep them from throwing the ball away when they are clearly being sacked. So... it's meant to punish QBs, not protect them.

-------------------------

The thing that I think is stupid is that an on-field ref has to actually look at a replay through a monitor. They have several officials on the field, why not just give the guy in the replay booth the ability to throw flags and look at replays on his own?

He can communicate with the umpire through the new invention called "radio" and make calls on fouls he sees, and clarify things via replay 500% faster than it happens now.

It would hopefully lead to faster replays and more accurate calls.

Imagine that... when the refs get together to talk about a false start or a PI call, they are chatting there about it, and the guy up in the replay booth says, "Hey guys, I hit rewind, and I'm looking at it now. The O-lineman moved first."... or "The receiver faked the fall... I can see it now."

Why not trust the guys in the booth the same as we trust the guys on the field?

Edited by AtomicCEO

edit: from here

Has the "in the grasp" rule been changed? I watched a game a few weeks ago with a scrambling QB and he was clearly "in the grasp," yet threw the ball for a completion. -- Mitch Gurick, Orland Park, Ill.

The old in-the-grasp rule was changed ten years ago. Under today's NFL rule, in-the-grasp will be ruled only when the quarterback is in the grasp of an opponent, with another opponent bearing down on him. This protects the quarterback from an unnecessary hit by the second man while he is being held by the first man. The old rule killed the play when the quarterback was in the grasp of one player.

Edited by sunysteelfly76

Has the "in the grasp" rule been changed? I watched a game a few weeks ago with a scrambling QB and he was clearly "in the grasp," yet threw the ball for a completion. -- Mitch Gurick, Orland Park, Ill.

The old in-the-grasp rule was changed ten years ago. Under today's NFL rule, in-the-grasp will be ruled only when the quarterback is in the grasp of an opponent, with another opponent bearing down on him. This protects the quarterback from an unnecessary hit by the second man while he is being held by the first man. The old rule killed the play when the quarterback was in the grasp of one player.

1280413[/snapback]

Well... shine my shoes! :D

Looks like my info is incorrect. Sorry everyone. I missed a lot of the 90s.

1280413[/snapback]

It seems that since big QB's like C-Pep & McNabb who can still make plays even when going down have become prevalent, the refs haven't been calling it much. Perhaps the competition committee no longer has it as a "point of emphasis" for the refs? :D

Edited by Bonehand

I don't understand why when the offensive team has the ball deep in their own end and get called for a penalty, they only tack on half the distance to the goal. For example, a team is on offence on their own two yard line, they get called for holding. If the defensive team accepts the penalty, it is only 1st and 11 from the one yard line instead of 1st and 20.

Yet if the defense gets called for offside or another penalty on the play, they are assessed the full yardage.

Why should the offensive team have the advantage just because they got backed up into their own end? Move them back half the distance to the goal but assess the full penalty yardage by moving the chains forward.

I don't understand why when the offensive team has the ball deep in their own end and get called for a penalty, they only tack on half the distance to the goal.  For example, a team is on offence on their own two yard line, they get called for holding.  If the defensive team accepts the penalty, it is only 1st and 11 from the one yard line instead of 1st and 20. 

Yet if the defense gets called for offside or another penalty on the play, they are assessed the full yardage. 

Why should the offensive team have the advantage just because they got backed up into their own end?  Move them back half the distance to the goal but assess the full penalty yardage by moving the chains forward.

1280509[/snapback]

Great idea! :D

Either change to this or make the college kids get 2 feet down. Either one would be fine: just make it consistent.

1280483[/snapback]

There are a lot of different rules from college to NFL, so then you are suggesting they make them all the same? That would completely change the way overtime is played for one. Another major rule would be that the player is over once a player is down in college whereas in the NFL he must be touched while he is down. I like the 2 feet down personally, so I guess if they were to make them consistent I would prefer to see college change their rule.

I don't understand why when the offensive team has the ball deep in their own end and get called for a penalty, they only tack on half the distance to the goal.  For example, a team is on offence on their own two yard line, they get called for holding.  If the defensive team accepts the penalty, it is only 1st and 11 from the one yard line instead of 1st and 20. 

Why should the offensive team have the advantage just because they got backed up into their own end?  Move them back half the distance to the goal but assess the full penalty yardage by moving the chains forward.

1280509[/snapback]

Never thought about that, that does make sense. Now that you mention it I have no idea why they don't move the chains back....they should.

1280509[/snapback]

:D

Sides that, though, please correct me if I have thi swrong slightly.

The whole thing about the Endzone actually stretches around the earth... so if you are knocked out of bounds but the ball crosses the goal line out of bounds, it's still a TD. Or the even worse interpretation of the rule, where not even the ball but the opposite hand that's holding the ball (Mike Vick vs CHicago was it?).