[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL rules you would like to change

Randall

I never understood why, after players run out of bounds, the clock starts again once the officials are set.  Not just the play clock, the game clock as well.  I'm not sure of the exact rule but there's definitely an exception for late in the half, but many times with 10 minutes left I'll see a guy run out of bounds, officials stop clock, players get to huddle, official restarts game and play clock.  I'd like to change this because it would mean less ticking, more scoring.  What fantasy nut doesn't want more scoring?

1281478[/snapback]

They changed this to speed up the games. The clock will stop whenever a player takes the ball out of bounds with under 4 minutes (I believe) to play in the half or in the game. After games started to get close to 4 hours, they had to come up with a way to make keep the clock moving for TV purposes.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never understood why, after players run out of bounds, the clock starts again once the officials are set.  Not just the play clock, the game clock as well.  I'm not sure of the exact rule but there's definitely an exception for late in the half, but many times with 10 minutes left I'll see a guy run out of bounds, officials stop clock, players get to huddle, official restarts game and play clock.  I'd like to change this because it would mean less ticking, more scoring.  What fantasy nut doesn't want more scoring?

1281478[/snapback]

That rule is to make games more TV friendly. I love football but think about how long a game would take to finish if they stopped the clock everytime a ball carrier ran out of bounds.

They changed this to speed up the games. The clock will stop whenever a player takes the ball out of bounds with under 4 minutes (I believe) to play in the half or in the game. After games started to get close to 4 hours, they had to come up with a way to make keep the clock moving for TV purposes.

1291307[/snapback]

Actually 2 minutes in the 2nd quarter and 5 minutes in the 4th quarter and overtime.

I don't understand why when the offensive team has the ball deep in their own end and get called for a penalty, they only tack on half the distance to the goal.  For example, a team is on offence on their own two yard line, they get called for holding.  If the defensive team accepts the penalty, it is only 1st and 11 from the one yard line instead of 1st and 20. 

Yet if the defense gets called for offside or another penalty on the play, they are assessed the full yardage. 

Why should the offensive team have the advantage just because they got backed up into their own end?  Move them back half the distance to the goal but assess the full penalty yardage by moving the chains forward.

1280509[/snapback]

Haven't seen this before.....thought I was the only one!!! :D

probably not a rule change, but the refs have to lighten up about illegal blocks on kick/punt returns.  it's like clockwork - player makes some great cuts, breaks free, rambles into the endzone, crowd going crazy, and ... flag.  bring it all back, no play.  then you see on the replay that the block in the back happened on the other side of the field and would have had no impact on the play.

give us back one of the most exciting plays in the game by only calling this penalty when it would have had a chance to make a difference.

1290668[/snapback]

Agreed, and not just on kick offs. Anything on the other side of the field from the play should be irrelevant.

Agreed, and not just on kick offs.  Anything on the other side of the field from the play should be irrelevant.

1291384[/snapback]

Where do you draw the line? You would be turning a factual call into a judgement call. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see less of these calls, but it's a coaching and player issue primarily.

I hate this rule too but it is not an advantage only to the offense.  In your scenario it is, but take this scenario which I believe I saw in the Indy vs. Pitt game.  Indy is on the half-yard line and gets called for a false start.  This backs them up five yards.  On the ensuing play Pitt is offsides, normally a 5-yard penalty but because they are within 10-yards of the goalline it is assessed as half the distance.  Instead of ending up back on the half-yard line they end up on the 2 1/2 yard line.  IMO the only time half the distance should be assessed is if there is not enough yardage to assess the full penalty.

1291055[/snapback]

Understood. But in your scenario, when the defense gets a penalty in their own end, the offense will very often be given benefit of an automatic 1st down. Such as defensive holding which is 5 yards and an automatic 1st down.

When the situation is reversed and the offense gets called for holding in their own end, they get the down over and only lose half the distance.

It just seems to me that the offense always has the advantage.....but maybe the NFL wants it that way.

Another rule that need fixing is if the clock is moving and you commit delae of game, the clock should not move until the ball is snapped again.

1280370[/snapback]

I've yelled at the TV more than once on that; just doesn't make sense.

Get rid of "force outs."  Just another judgement call that puts the game in the hands of the refs.

1291855[/snapback]

That'll mean a lot less sideline catches as defenders focus on force outs. Not sure the NFL would go for that.

That'll mean a lot less sideline catches as defenders focus on force outs.  Not sure the NFL would go for that.

1291892[/snapback]

Make it only 1 foot needs to be in and then forceouts could count as incomplete. Defenders can try to push out everytime, but there's a decent chance of getting 1 foot in before this happens.

The Super Bowl should be moved to Saturday, or MLK day should be moved to the Monday following the Super Bowl. Every year, my absolute best option for the Super Bowl is a buddy's party in Dallas. However, driving 3 1/2 do Dallas, getting drunk, driving back to Austin at 10 PM and going to work the next day, just does not seem like a good plan.

Either change to this or make the college kids get 2 feet down. Either one would be fine: just make it consistent.

1280483[/snapback]

agreed. :D

But keep the push out rule. Otherwise, DBs catch a receiver midair after he catches a high ball, carry him 11 yards to the sideline, dump him out of bounds, no catch ... :D