[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Calling 49ers fans.....

NinersIn2006!

No offense to Pittsburgh, Denver, Carolina, and Seattle, but I'm tired of reading about the four of you, and I just want to read something else. So I'm starting this up for us Niner fans to discuss (please let this get more than like 10 replies :D:D )

And for all the haters, I know, the Niners suck, we will be bad for a number of years, and we deserve it for messing with the salary cap in the mid-90's. I've heard all that. Rain on me if you want, but I've probably heard it already. :D

But I have seen that there are a couple of diehard Niner fans out there and I'm interested in YOUR OPINIONS on the following or any other thoughts you have:

1. What do you think of what you saw the past year (notably the last two games). I feel like Frank Gore showed alot of potential, and makes me feel decent about the fact we won't be getting Reggie Bush.

2. How do you feel about Alex? I have been sticking up for him, as he is still a boy basically. But a boy with a lot of potential! Give him some semblance of an O-line, then we can see a more accurate assessment of his abilities.

3. What do you think of Mike Nolan? I wasn't crazy about the hire at first, but I really started liking him at the draft. I also liked when he started Rattay at the beginning because he felt that Rattay gave them a better chance to win NOW. What kind of message would he have been sending if he didnt do that?

4. What's our outlook for 2006 and beyond? Remember, Carolina played in the Super Bowl two years after going 1-15...gives all of us bottom feeders hope.

Forgive me for being a homer and posting about one of the worst teams in the NFL during Super Bowl week (or weeks :D ), but I just HAVE to read something other than the four teams that played yesterday. :D:D

1.  What do you think of what you saw the past year (notably the last two games).  I feel like Frank Gore showed alot of potential, and makes me feel decent about the fact we won't be getting Reggie Bush.

2.  How do you feel about Alex?  I have been sticking up for him, as he is still a boy basically.  But a boy with a lot of potential!  Give him some semblance of an O-line, then we can see a more accurate assessment of his abilities.

3.  What do you think of Mike Nolan?  I wasn't crazy about the hire at first, but I really started liking him at the draft.  I also liked when he started Rattay at the beginning because he felt that Rattay gave them a better chance to win NOW.  What kind of message would he have been sending if he didnt do that?

4.  What's our outlook for 2006 and beyond?  Remember, Carolina played in the Super Bowl two years after going 1-15...gives all of us bottom feeders hope.

1284425[/snapback]

I'm not much of a fan, but have friends that are diehards, and I lived in the Bay Area so I'm comfortable speaking about the Niners with a good deal of backup knowledge.

1. Sure, be excited about Frank Gore, but realize a few things: one, the guy is dumb as a box of rocks. Actually, that's not fair to rocks. I'm sure the guy is a good guy (or maybe not, he is a graduate of THE U), but he's just not very smart. Does that automatically mean he's not gonna be a stud RB? Who knows. But it's mentionable. Plus, he's coming off a MAJOR knee injury. His "U" cohort Willis McGahee has bounced back nicely, but that doesn't mean Gore will too. What you should be more excited about, in my opinion, is Maurice Hicks. I don't get the Niners. Every time the guy gets a chance, he performs. Maybe I'm missing something that they see in practice and/or training camp. But this guy looks like a bonafide NFL RB that could handle a featured role (meaning 20+ carries).

2. Yes, the Niners need to address the O-line in the worst of ways. As I recall, University of Utah's O-line was HUGH and protected Smith very well. He has skills and smarts and will most likely be a solid NFL QB.

3. Agree with your Nolan commentary. He's a solid coach. Hopefully he won't fold under the pressure that will undoubtedly be put on him in the next 2-3 years.

4. 2006 outlook isn't too rosy, sorry. You will still have O-line issues, and Smith is still going to be very raw/green. Who knows what's going on with the RB situation. As I noted in #1, you're most likely better off going with Hicks as your featured back. That is, unless Gore looks like he could tear it up in a featured role. I think they'll cut ties with Barlow. Perhaps Denny Green would give a few picks for Barlow. Brandon Lloyd is a budding star, and hopefully he and Smith will establish a good rapport. Lloyd's also an accomplished and talented rapper - check him out! Remember, the Niners had one of the better TEs in the NFL 2 seasons ago, and he should be back in 2006. Having a solid safety valve for the young Smith will be a godsend. The Niners need a solid possession WR (think Bobby Engram) to go along with the playmaker Lloyd. Defensively, the secondary was a bit underrated but still not a hugh threat. The linebackers were suspect and the front 4 were average. You need a big playmaker or 2 on defense. We'll see how the brass and coaching staff addresses this need in the draft and through free agency.

In short, the Niners are going to suck again next year. Sorry. Beyond? Your guess is as good as mine.

Edited by darin3

I think Gore will be an above average back. Another year removed from his knee injury. I'd much rather see him start then Barlow. Barlow looked like he was trying to find a place to lay down before somebody could hit him. Hicks is ok. Defenses aren't going to worry about containing him. Nothing great there.

I didn't want us to take Bush if we had the first pick, but I'd have liked to have the pick to trade for a couple of picks. We have got to rebuild the o-line. Priority #1

I'm a little concerned about Smith. He might turn out to be ok, but I wasn't liking what I saw and yes I know he was a rookie. It seems every interview I heard with him he was commenting on how he couldn't believe how fast the NFL was. Not really what I want to be hearing at the end of the season.

I like Mike Nolan. The 49ers played hard for him all season even when I was wishing they would lose to help our draft picks. Unlike numerous other teams who lay down, they kept playing and that speaks well of the coach.

We are going to suck in 2006 unless we improve the line. Can't really do that all through the draft. We need to attract some decent d free agent lineman and to do that, they have to believe that the 49ers are serious about improving. This owner hasn't been coming across that he wants to build a winning team. If they manage to sign a couple decent free agents this year and have another good draft, we can be competitive in 2007.

1. i'm happy with gore and hicks...barlow disappointed me.... biggest problem i see is that if i were a DC i'd focus on stopping the run, because the young qb will make mistakes.... so i don't think the rb's will look too good.....

2. smith... i really wanted them to trade the pick to fill more needs. it's going to take time for him to show anything (again, needs o-line support). he will be playing from behind... will be forced to throw.... will get hit a lot and produce turnovers.

3. Nolan is fine...doing what he can.

4. 06... will do a hair better than last year, but we have a little while before we can even think about playoffs again.

Good to see at least a few Die Hard fans coming out of the wood work.

1. I think Gore will be a really good back once we get our O-Line solidified and Hicks will be a great third down back. Barlow has to go!

2. Alex Smith needs an O-Line before we judge him. He definitly has the physical tools and is a bright guy, I also think that that Norv Turner is going to be good for him. His Offenses in the past have been QB friendly.

3. I love what Nolan is bringing to the 49ers, we have fire again. We lost that under the last bone head Erickson. I also like the fact that Nolan is quick to bring in Quality assistants like Singletary and now Turner.

4. In 06 I think we continue to build and I think our O-line is going to be alot better which translates to us being better on O.

I am eager to see the draft this year and how we do, I'd like to see a big playmaker on D.

Edited by 9ersdude

Im thinking 6 wins for the 9ers in '06....then they go "big" (relatively speaking) and win 9 games in '07.

1285398[/snapback]

6 wins huh... which of these teams do you see them beating?

ARI (twice, and gotta assume they'll be improved)

STL (twice, maybe they beat them once?)

SEA (twice, and we know how good they are)

GB (hey at least this one's at home)

CHI (tough run at Soldier)

MIN (hey at least this one's at home)

DET (toss-up, but it's in Detroit)

OAK (cross-Bay rivalry, never know)

DEN (in Mile High?)

SD (tough, even though its in SF)

KC (very tough at KC)

PHI (who knows... it's at home though)

NO (toss-up... wherever they play)

I see them potentially beating ARI once. Maybe STL once. GB, if Favre isn't playing. And maybe either PHI or NO. I'm seeing 4 or 5 wins, personally. And that's giving them a lot of credit.

darin....

this year-

lost to dal 31-34

lost to chi 9- 17 (funky fg returned for td)

lost to sea 25-27

lost to jax 9-10

i saw 6-7 wins in 06 as well.

1285508[/snapback]

All still LOSSES, no?

Dallas was doin' it with smoke n' mirrors.

Chicago's offense didn't need to score to win.

Seattle's defense was spotty, especially in the beginning of the season.

Jacksonville game was a fluke.

So where are the Niners' 6 wins coming from in '06?

darin...you crack me up.....

for such a crappy team they beat a playoff team and came pretty close to 3 others. i see improvement, though slight in 06.

i could see 2 vs az, 1 vs stl, 1 vs gb, 1 vs NO....

then a lot of possibility vs chi, det, min, oak.. and even a possible split with sea.

darin...you crack me up.....

for such a crappy team they beat a playoff team and came pretty close to 3 others.  i see improvement, though slight in 06.

i could see 2 vs az, 1 vs stl, 1 vs gb, 1 vs NO....

then a lot of possibility vs chi, det, min, oak.. and even a possible split with sea.

1285622[/snapback]

2 wins against Arizona? :D I just don't see it.

I feel ya on STL, GB and perhaps NO. They're not beating the Bears. Nor are they splitting with the NFC champs. No way. Let's say they win one or perhaps 2 of DET/MIN/OAK. 4-5 wins.

2 wins against Arizona?  :D  I just don't see it.

I feel ya on STL, GB and perhaps NO.  They're not beating the Bears.  Nor are they splitting with the NFC champs.  No way.  Let's say they win one or perhaps 2 of DET/MIN/OAK.  4-5 wins.

1285668[/snapback]

we shall see..... i think they will turn some of their close loses into close wins....

most of us thought philly would walk away with the nfc this year... a lot can happen between now and dec.

we shall see.....  i think they will turn some of their close loses into close wins....

most of us thought philly would walk away with the nfc this year... a lot can happen between now and dec.

1285707[/snapback]

I'd like to see them do it. If they can land a playmaker on D and some solid O-line help through free agency, they should be able to win a few. Lloyd's talented and between Hicks and Gore, they'll have a solid RB. I love Nolan, and I actually think Turner was a quality hire. Hate to pin it all on one guy, but it's really gonna come down to Alex Smith and his maturation process.

Good to see at least a few Die Hard fans coming out of the wood work.

1. I think Gore will be a really good back once we get our O-Line solidified and Hicks will be a great third down back. Barlow has to go!

2. Alex Smith needs an O-Line before we judge him. He definitly has the physical tools and is a bright guy, I also think that that Norv Turner is going to be good for him. His Offenses in the past have been QB friendly.

3. I love what Nolan is bringing to the 49ers, we have fire again. We lost that under the last bone head Erickson. I also like the fact that Nolan is quick to bring in Quality assistants like Singletary and now Turner.

4. In 06 I think we continue to build and I think our O-line is going to be alot better which translates to us being better on O.

I am eager to see the draft this year and how we do, I'd like to see a big playmaker on D.

1285100[/snapback]

Couldn't agree more 9erdude!! Glad to see a few come out. Keep the comments coming. I personally see 6 or maybe even seven with, and get ready for this 10-11 the following year :D:D

Okay, maybe I'm a little biased in my opinion (or hope), but hey, isnt that whats being a fan (short for "fanatic") is all about??

Keep the opinions coming all. I'm enjoying reading both sides believe it or not!!

:D:D:D

6 wins huh... which of these teams do you see them beating?

ARI (twice, and gotta assume they'll be improved)

STL (twice, maybe they beat them once?)

SEA (twice, and we know how good they are)

GB (hey at least this one's at home)

CHI (tough run at Soldier)

MIN (hey at least this one's at home)

DET (toss-up, but it's in Detroit)

OAK (cross-Bay rivalry, never know)

DEN (in Mile High?)

SD (tough, even though its in SF)

KC (very tough at KC)

PHI (who knows... it's at home though)

NO (toss-up... wherever they play)

I see them potentially beating ARI once.  Maybe STL once.  GB, if Favre isn't playing.  And maybe either PHI or NO.  I'm seeing 4 or 5 wins, personally.  And that's giving them a lot of credit.

1285471[/snapback]

Remind me to kick you in your nuts when I see you again.

It's the offseason, let us dream.

Remind me to kick you in your nuts when I see you again.

It's the offseason, let us dream.

1286892[/snapback]

:D Hey as a Bears fan, I know how it is to dream and have dreams come true - to an extent. The Niners are getting their pieces together. They're not nearly as pathetic as some teams out there. :D