[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

S. Alexander

steeler

This weekend, M. Anderson has some nice hard-nosed runs against the Steelers, but Denver was so far behind they couldn't really stick with it. Then as I watched the Seattle game I started wondering if the Steelers D matches up well against S. Alexander's running style? He's more of a slasher who's trying to hit the home run that a tough runner (unless he's near the goal line). The Steelers run D is very good and the players are very fast... so I'm saying it's a slight edge to the Steelers. Alexander is an incredible talent and can take it to the house on any run if he's got a big hole... and I just don't think there will be a lot of big holes for him to run through.

Thoughts?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Steeler defense is one of the fastest in the NFL, and they play the 3-4. Seattle had trouble in their only game this year against a team that plays the 3-4, in Dallas. Should be very interesting. If they hold him under 100 yds, I can't see how the Steelers can't win.

The Steelers defense has been off-the-hook good against some pretty good offenses. Not only are they solid against the run, but their pass rush has been incredible in the playoffs. Seattle will score points, but I'd be surprised if they get into the endzone more than twice.

I wouldn't doubt shaun, you don't set the rushing title (practicaly) two years in a row if you're not a hardnosed, tough physical runner.

I am not saying he is gonna have a great day, but that line can run on anybody if conditions fit.

The best way to limit shaun, is Roeth, 8 min drives capped off with a TD, mix in a turnover or two, and the game will be on Hass's shoulders.

I think the reason you don't think Shaun runs that hard is because against Carolina he was getting to the second level pretty easily, and after that point was looking to take it to the house. If the game calls for Shaun to be more phsyical and grind out 2-4 yards a pop, he's got that kind of game too. He'll hit it hard and hit it hard and every once in a while he'll dance and try to make a big one. Sometimes it works, sometimes he gets stopped for no gain.

I have alot of respect for the Steeler D- but I think their overall speed could play right into SA hands. He is an excellent cut-back runner, and is one of the best at cutting it back against an over-aggressice, fast D. Hence- Da Steelers, they get too aggressive and over pursue, he may find some nice lanes cutting it back behind Hutch & Jones which is exaclty what he did against Carolina's aggressive LB's last week.

You really might be right, and I can see the LB's overpersuing, but from what I've seen, Polamalu seems to attack and feast on the cutback before the cutback happens. Maybe he'll overpersue too?? That'll be interesting to watch.

The Steeler defense is one of the fastest in the NFL, and they play the 3-4.  Seattle had trouble in their only game this year against a team that plays the 3-4, in Dallas.  Should be very interesting.  If they hold him under 100 yds, I can't see how the Steelers can't win.

1285366[/snapback]

I think Shaun will be fine and do what he always does against big defenses, couple yards here, a couple yards there, and then a big one. Hasselbeck has showed time and time again he can pass if Shaun isn't running. Hasselbeck did struggle against the 3-4.....but they were also missing there #1 and #2 recivers that game and they weren't as "on" as they are now. Oh yea, and the Hawks still won that game. :D

SA was held to less than 10 yards in round one of the playoffs.

People have doubted Alexander since his days at Alabama. As a Bama fan, I recall thinking he didn’t seem to be a very physical runner and wondered at times if he was the best guy for the job. Then the game would end, I would see his stats and realize he had made it look pretty easy against pretty stout SEC defenses.

Bottom line is this – Alexander had a nose for the end zone in college and he still does in the NFL. There is no back I would rather have than SA when my team gets down around the opponents 20 yard line. The guy is money…

There is no back I would rather have than SA when my team gets down around the opponents 20 yard line.  The guy is money…

1287272[/snapback]

Well i'd rather have Holmes or LJ, but that is probably the homer in me :D

Edited by Hat Trick

Bottom line is this – Alexander had a nose for the end zone in college and he still does in the NFL.  There is no back I would rather have than SA when my team gets down around the opponents 20 yard line.  The guy is money…

1287272[/snapback]

Exactly right. As I've said before, once the 'Hawks are in the red zone, trying to stop SA from reaching the goal line is like trying to stop a poured bucket of water from hitting the floor. Good Luck!

I wouldn't doubt shaun, you don't set the rushing title (practicaly) two years in a row if you're not a hardnosed, tough physical runner.

I am not saying he is gonna have a great day, but that line can run on anybody if conditions fit.

The best way to limit shaun, is Roeth, 8 min drives capped off with a TD, mix in a turnover or two, and the game will be on Hass's shoulders.

1285392[/snapback]

well if that's all it takes...

Bottom line is this – Alexander had a nose for the end zone in college and he still does in the NFL.

1287272[/snapback]

I hate when people use this phrase. Talented RBs who run behind good fullbacks and great offensive lines ALL "have a nose for the endzone." I'm not trying to take away from Alexander, who is clearly a GREAT running back, but let's give the rest of the offense some credit for his 28 TDs. Priest, Emmitt, and TD didn't do it alone, either.

I hate when people use this phrase.  Talented RBs who run behind good fullbacks and great offensive lines ALL "have a nose for the endzone."  I'm not trying to take away from Alexander, who is clearly a GREAT running back, but let's give the rest of the offense some credit for his 28 TDs.  Priest, Emmitt, and TD didn't do it alone, either.

1290367[/snapback]

:D Um, if there is ever a time the phrase "nose for the endzone" is appropriate, it is for SA, who just broke one the NFL TD record!. Truly amazing feat- and of course the rest of the O gets credit, that goes wihtout saying, who ever said they did it alone?

And your wrong- the NFL has plenty of talented RB's with good lines/FB's that DO NOT have a nose for the endzone. SA gives the rest of his O credit all the time, and he turns it up a notch inside the 20.

Boy he sure does have a heck of a nose for the endzone.

:D  Um, if there is ever a time the phrase "nose for the endzone" is appropriate, it is for SA, who just broke one the NFL TD record!. Truly amazing feat- and of course the rest of the O gets credit, that goes wihtout saying, who ever said they did it alone?

And your wrong- the NFL has plenty of talented RB's with good lines/FB's that DO NOT have a nose for the endzone. SA gives the rest of his O credit all the time, and he turns it up a notch inside the 20.

Boy he sure does have a heck of a nose for the endzone.

1290520[/snapback]

Boy you're sure completely clueless about football. :D

Boy you're sure completely clueless about football.  :D

1290620[/snapback]

:D I just thought your post was pointless, and flat out not correct. SA has scored TD's at a recored-breaking pace over his career. Credit to the rest of the Offense? Are you Tobeck's momma? They get plenty of it- SA has A NOSE FOR THE ENDZONE that 90% of your "talented RB's" do not have- Clueless about football?? :D save it

:D  I just thought your post was pointless, and flat out not correct. SA has scored TD's at a recored-breaking pace over his career.

1290662[/snapback]

Oh, I didn't realize that SA has averaged 28 TDs/season over the course of his career. :D

Credit to the rest of the Offense? Are you Tobeck's momma? They get plenty of it- SA has A NOSE FOR THE ENDZONE that 90% of your "talented RB's" do not have- Clueless about football??  :D save it

This same "nose for the endzone" crap has been said about Priest. Priest didn't have a 20+ TD season until he had Willie Roaf and Will Shields blocking for him. Hell, he was a second-stringer for the first half of his career. And then Larry Johnson stepped in and scored 20 last year without even being a featured back for the entire season. But, no, they both have "noses for the endzone," right? :D

SA is a GREAT halfback and may be inducted into Canton if he has four or five more really good seasons. But it clearly takes a dominant O-line for any RB to have a 20-TD season.

Oh, I didn't realize that SA has averaged 28 TDs/season over the course of his career.  :D

This same "nose for the endzone" crap has been said about Priest.  Priest didn't have a 20+ TD season until he had Willie Roaf and Will Shields blocking for him.  Hell, he was a second-stringer for the first half of his career.  And then Larry Johnson stepped in and scored 20 last year without even being a featured back for the entire season.  But, no, they both have "noses for the endzone," right?  :D

SA is a GREAT halfback and may be inducted into Canton if he has four or five more really good seasons.  But it clearly takes a dominant O-line for any RB to have a 20-TD season.

1291344[/snapback]

Naw not 28/year-

since he became full time starter in 2001- 20TD/year :D . Show me someone who has had that production to begin their careers. Trust me when I tell you Sea has not had a dominant offensive line since 2001. Your point on KC? they have arguably the best running system in place besides Den- and both Priets/LJ are great backs- what is your point? In previous posts you felt - talented RB's who had great lines/FB's ALL had a nose for the endzone- just not the case. It is just hilarious to me- people continue to knock SA. I think it is the combination of him making it look easy, and being tucked away in Seattle-

I am not a fan of Hasselbeck's but he has shown that he can win games without Alexander. Alexander might get stuffed a lot at the line, but Hasselbeck should be able to keep the offense moving well enough through the air, to allow Alexander to eventually break off a couple of long runs.

Edited by Savage Beatings

Naw not 28/year-

since he became full time starter in 2001-  20TD/year  :D . Show me someone who has had that production to begin their careers. Trust me when I tell you Sea has not had a dominant offensive line since 2001.  Your point on KC? they have arguably the best running system in place besides Den- and both Priets/LJ are great backs- what is your point?  In previous posts you felt - talented RB's who had great lines/FB's ALL had a nose for the endzone- just not the case.

1291622[/snapback]

No, you're missing the point... again. There's no such thing as a back having a "nose for the endzone." Offenses that run the ball effectively in the red zone need the full package - a talented back AND effective blocking. Individual players don't score touchdowns all by themselves - entire offenses do. And, not to take away from SA, but having Walter Jones, Robbie Tobeck, Steve Hutchinson, and Mack Strong helps them run in the red zone IMMENSELY. If SA played for the Cardinals, he would've been lucky to have 10 TDs.

It is just hilarious to me- people continue to knock SA. I think it is the combination of him making it look easy, and being tucked away in Seattle-

:D

I am NOT knocking SA. As I've said before, he's a great back and has a very good shot of ending up in Canton.

To me "A nose for the endzone" can be, and in SA's case is, a bad thing. What this means is that you have an individual who gives it his all when there is something in it he wants and not before. This is the biggest problem I have with SA. This is further shown by SA in his Primetime performances over the last few years, where he looked almost super human. To me if you are overpaid by a couple million a year to do a job, you should be giving it your all every down of every game.