[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pa. student humiliated over Broncos jersey

whitem0nkey

BEAVER FALLS, Pa. (AP) - A 17-year-old high school student said he was humiliated when a teacher made him sit on the floor during a midterm exam in his ethnicity class - for wearing a Denver Broncos jersey.

Link

The teacher, John Kelly, forced Joshua Vannoy to sit on the floor and take the test Friday - two days before the Pittsburgh Steelers beat the Broncos 34-17 in the AFC championship game. Kelly also made other students throw crumpled up paper at Vannoy, whom he called a "stinking Denver fan," Vannoy told The Associated Press on Monday.

Kelly said Vannoy, a junior at Beaver Area Senior High School, just didn't get the joke.

"If he felt uncomfortable, then that's a lesson; that's what (the class) is designed to do," Kelly told The Denver Post. "It was silly fun. I can't believe he was upset."

Vannoy was wearing a No. 7 Broncos jersey on Friday, because he is a fan of John Elway, the Broncos' retired Hall of Fame quarterback.

Vannoy said he was so unnerved he left at least 20 questions blank on the 60-question test, and just wants out of Kelly's class because he's afraid the teacher won't treat him fairly now that the story reached the media.

"I'm going to have to deal with him for two more nine weeks (school quarters) and he's going to want revenge somehow," Vannoy said Monday. "I took the test. I'm shaking. I'm furious. I didn't know what to do."

Kelly, who wore a Ben Roethlisberger jersey Friday, and his principal, Thomas Karczewski, didn't immediately return messages left on their school voice mail Monday.

Big Beaver Falls Area School District Superintendent Donna Nugent said she was aware of the situation, but said confidentiality rules prevent her from commenting specifically.

"We'll take whatever action we need to in order for the student to feel comfortable," Nugent said.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"We'll take whatever action we need to in order for the student to feel comfortable," Nugent said.[/i]

1289672[/snapback]

John Kelly, when reached yesterday, remained silent when questioned on the matter. Silent, that is, until forced by his current employer to speak.

"Do you want fries with that?" was his only comment.

John Kelly, when reached yesterday, remained silent when questioned on the matter. Silent, that is, until forced by his current employer to speak.

"Do you want fries with that?" was his only comment.

1289732[/snapback]

:D Not bad. :D

I bet I can accurately explain what happened here. Everybody in the class, including the kid with the jersey, knew it was a joke and thought it was funny. Then the kid, bombed the test (whether he's an idiot or was just unprepared). Instead of sacking up and acting like a man, he decides to blame the teacher for "humiliating him" and causing him to bomb the test. That's our wonderful litigious society working for you! No need to do what's expected of you as long as there is a remote chance of pointing a finger at somebody else.

The kid is an idiot. He expects to wear that to provoke people, and then cries when he gets a response.  :D

1289750[/snapback]

I agree with creatiff. I was on your side for awhile buddy. But when you get to the end of the other thread (where I got rained on pretty good), you will see this was not as good natured as it seemed. The teacher was WAY OUT OF LINE..

No fault of you though, you were only reacting to what was reported to you. Your reaction was my first as well.

Read the other thread near the end and you get the full story. It wasn't as good-natured as that blurb makes it seem.  :D

1289758[/snapback]

Facts haven't changed.

1 ) He wore a shirt intended to provoke a response

2 ) He received a response

3 ) The response was not to his liking

4 ) The Rosie O'Donnell cried about it

Nothing was 'good natured' in his actions, so what is his problem?

Edited by DKF

Facts haven't changed.

1 ) He wore a shirt intended to provoke a response

2 ) He received a response

3 ) The response was not to his liking

4 ) The Rosie O'Donnell cried about it

Nothing was 'good natured' in his actions, so what is his problem?

1289772[/snapback]

WOW!!!

Memo to self:

Don't wear (or send my child wearing) jersey of opposing team of DKF!! Got it!

Seriously, I agree with you, he probably wore the jersey to get a reaction. But the reaction he got from a teacher is way out of line. A little joking and good-natured teasing would be fine, but expressing anger (and the teacher did that) is way out of line.

Edited by NinersIn2006!

Yea, it was low.

But it can't be a reflection of all Steeler fans.

Crap like this goes on all the time in public high schools, this one just happened to hit Fox Sports.

1289680[/snapback]

I am not so sure about that last statement..I mean I know it goes on from other kids, but for a teacher to make a kid sit on the floor to take a test and all that??? I doubt that is very common. I wouldn't have taken that sh** from a teacher either. Students, its expected...but not a teacher. I hope that teacher gets fired.

I definitely think the teacher should be fired.

That does not mean that the kid is not an idiot who got exactly what he was asking for. :D

1289889[/snapback]

The kid is not an idiot. Yeah, he was asking for some teasing, some good-natured fun, but he wasn't asking for anger from a teacher.

This was more of a "punishment" than good-natured teasing.

I did the same thing when I was a kid and the Niners played the Rams (when they were in LA) in the NFC title game (I live in So-Cal). I wore a Niners jersey to school the week leading up to that game, and took ALOT of teasing and good natured fun. I went to school knowing I would take some (thats why I wore it) but I NEVER got anything like that, and nor did I deserve it.

The kid is not an idiot.  Yeah, he was asking for some teasing, some good-natured fun, but he wasn't asking for anger from a teacher. 

This was more of a "punishment" than good-natured teasing.

I did the same thing when I was a kid and the Niners played the Rams (when they were in LA) in the NFC title game (I live in So-Cal).  I wore a Niners jersey to school the week leading up to that game, and took ALOT of teasing and good natured fun.  I went to school knowing I would take some (thats why I wore it) but I NEVER got anything like that, and nor did I deserve it.

1289905[/snapback]

Pleaaase... Just admitting to being a Niners fan entitles you to be abused. :D

That said the teacher is supposed to accord himself in a professional manner at all times. He should be fired.

But when anyone intentionally does something designed to provoke a reaction from people, how can he expect to dictate the terms of what that reaction is? He intentionally did something to cause a reaction, now he does not want to accept the outcome of his actions. :D

Pleaaase... Just admitting to being a Niners fan entitles you to be abused. :D

That said the teacher is supposed to accord himself in a professional manner at all times. He should be fired.

But when anyone intentionally does something designed to provoke a reaction from people, how can he expect to dictate the terms of what that reaction is?  He intentionally did something to cause a reaction, now he does not want to accept the outcome of his actions. :D

1289918[/snapback]

Abuse if you must...we will be back!! And if you think Menudo posts alot and is fired up, let the Niners be in the Super Bowl in the next few years!! :D:D

Back to the topic at hand. Part of the article that changed my mind (keep in mind, I was one saying this kid needed to suck it up until I read this):

Joshua said his feelings were hurt, his nerves shattered and Mr. Kelly's reaction to his John Elway No. 7 jersey was anything but humorous.

"He had a dead serious face," said Joshua. "He never laughed at all."

He said when he went to sit down at his regular desk on Friday, Mr. Kelly ordered him to "take those books off my desk. I own that desk." He placed his textbooks on the floor and then sat down at the desk.

Joshua said his teacher told him to "get out of my desk. You're sitting in my desk."

He said Mr. Kelly began sliding the desks into a circle. Then he told Joshua to sit on the floor in the center of the circle.

While Mr. Kelly passed out the tests, he dropped Joshua's test papers, scattering them on the floor so that he had to crawl around and pick them up, Joshua said.

"As I started to write my name on the papers and number them, I noticed he went to the cupboard and grabbed a handful of notebook paper and handed it to all the kids and said, 'This is part two of your test. You'll get points for this. Take the paper and ball it up with two hands and throw it at the Denver fan,' " Joshua said.

Joshua said there were "papers flying everywhere towards me. At one point, a girl refused to do it and he [Mr. Kelly] took the paper off her desk and threw it into the back of my head."

Those are NOT signs of teasing/good-natured fun that the student should have absolutely been ready for by wearing the jersey at that time. Those are signs of ABUSE which a student should not have to take for any reason. The student shouldnt have had to expect that.

Edited by NinersIn2006!