[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Seahawks in legal trouble?

Bill Swerski

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if this has been posted already.  Heard on the radio this morning that Texas A&M has asked the Seahawks to stop using A&M's copyrighted "12th Man" slogan.  No word yet on whether or not the Seahawks are going to comply.

1289725[/snapback]

how can that be copy written.... :D

how can that be copy written....  :D

1289733[/snapback]

The "12th Man" and "Twelfth Man" are registered trademarks of Texas A&M University. From what they said on the radio, the Bears (and one other team) did the same thing in the past and A&M forced them to stop.

Sorry if this has been posted already.  Heard on the radio this morning that Texas A&M has asked the Seahawks to stop using A&M's copyrighted "12th Man" slogan.  No word yet on whether or not the Seahawks are going to comply.

1289725[/snapback]

That's interesting since the 'Hawks have been using it since the late 70's. Wonder why it would suddenly be a problem now? :D

Edited by Bonehand

The "12th Man" and "Twelfth Man" are registered trademarks of Texas A&M University.  From what they said on the radio, the Bears (and one other team) did the same thing in the past and A&M forced them to stop.

1289744[/snapback]

A&M is concentrating on what's really important I see. Nice ues of public funds. :D

It doesn't matter.  If it's a registered trademark, the Seahawks can't use it to make money.

1289784[/snapback]

The Hawks dont use the 12th Man to make money. But fine, we're changing to a new catchphrase anyway.

HOOK 'EM HORNS! :D

Edited by Bonehand

The Hawks dont use the 12th Man to make money.

1289789[/snapback]

It's used as part of their marketing.

I think that it's kind of silly, but I wouldn't be surprised if A&M pursued them aggressively. They take stuff like that very seriously (hence the trademark). And, as I said before, they've already stopped the Bears (and one other team that I can't recall) from using it. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Trademarking "Twelfth Man" makes as much sense as trademarking "Fair and Balanced", it's such a common phrase.  Still, if it's the law, I suppose A&M can enforce it. 

Whatever.

1289803[/snapback]

Or Paul Allen can buy them off. Several Million times over.

Could be argued that the 12th man is a common saying, and part of popular culture. Systematic misuse of a trademark can result in the term becoming generic. Words such as "aspirin," "cellophane," and "elevator" slipped into the public domain because of improper usage. Xerox narrowly avoided this in the late 70's by a massive marketing campaign to get the general population to call the items thier machines produced "photocopies" instead of "xeroxes".

Or Paul Allen can buy them off. Several Million times over.

1289809[/snapback]

I'm sure that he could. And if he wants to continue to use the phrase, he very well may have to.

Doesn't that boxing announcer have his "Let's get ready to rummmmble!" phrase trademarked as well?

It doesn't matter.  If it's a registered trademark, the Seahawks can't use it to make money.

1289784[/snapback]

This reminds me of when Fox sued over "fair and balanced" and lost. I wouldn't push it.