[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

top 5 super bowl qb's

HowboutthemCowboys

jojo....

only thing i agree with is how the 9ers loaded up with mercenaries for young's only sb.

again using the hypothetical.... if you trade young for aikman... i think dal is able to get those sb's while i think 9ers do worse. that o-line and emmitt was the difference maker... aikman wasn't forced to throw as much as young.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

jojo....

only thing i agree with is how the 9ers loaded up with mercenaries for young's only sb.

again using the hypothetical.... if you trade young for aikman... i think dal is able to get those sb's while i think 9ers do worse.  that o-line and emmitt was the difference maker... aikman wasn't forced to throw as much as young.

1293614[/snapback]

Mercanaries??? What mercanaries?? :D

Except for Deion, we had most of the other players in that whole run in the early 90's....

True, Emmitt and the O-line were monstor.... But Young also had a good O-Line and pehaps the best WR to ever play the game. So I think Aikman might of been better in (Glup) SF.

and 9er's, you may be right, Dallas may be the dark side, they are owned by Jerry Jones. Vader, Jones...... hummmm :D

True, Emmitt and the O-line were monstor.... But Young also had a good O-Line and pehaps the best WR to ever play the game. So I think Aikman might of been better in (Glup) SF.

and 9er's, you may be right, Dallas may be the dark side, they are owned by Jerry Jones. Vader, Jones...... hummmm :D

1293622[/snapback]

common.... how much does it help a qb when the o-line moves the pile 5 yards before the rb is even touched?

49ers did have a good o-line, and i liked watters, but he was good for the system (pass-catching rb)...... having that dal o-line and emmitt was the difference maker... very big difference having a run first offense imo.

That's my point. Aikman would of been allowed to be a more complete QB. Which I think he would of handled very nicely. Besides, Aikman to Rice just has a ring to it.... SB Ring.

And Niners, Give up a mediorce team for a bad one. Can't do it. Will always bleed Dallas.

kind of like brady..... don't think he could have carried a pass heavy offense.

edit: i'll revise that... don't think he would have won a sb. he certainly would have had more attempts, completions, and td's but i also think his int's would have been up disproportionately to the others.

Edited by Bier Meister

kind of like brady..... don't think he could have carried a pass heavy offense.

edit:  i'll revise that... don't think he would have won a sb.  he certainly would have had more attempts, completions, and td's but i also think his int's would have been up disproportionately to the others.

1293641[/snapback]

I would disagree. I like to believe that Aikman would of been a much more complete QB if he had gone somewhere else. His numbers and for the most part his style was dictated by the system he was forced to play in. Great system, but for a QB very limiting.

i think you are forgetting how close the 49ers and Dal were those years.... biggest difference imo was emmitt.  young was a far superior qb over aikman.  with only 1 sb appearance i would find it hard to put him in the top 5.. though his performance was stellar.

1293581[/snapback]

I think that all QB's are more or less a product of the system that they play in and the players they are surounded by.You're entitled to your opinion that Young was "far superior" to Aikman,even if I think it's a ludicrous statement. :D

I think that all QB's are more or less a product of the system that they play in and the players they are surounded by.You're entitled to your opinion that Young was "far superior" to Aikman,even if I think it's a ludicrous statement. :D

1293828[/snapback]

again, like brady.... aikman won because of that line and emmitt....

emmitt only rushed for under 1000 yards twice for dal...first and last years.

over 1400 yds 5 times..... much easier for a qb to win with that kind of rushing game (ask dilfer about that). aikman passed for over 20 td's ONCE in his career.....

winning more sb's does make aikman a better qb. in the scheme of things aikman was pretty average.

again, like brady.... aikman won because of that line and emmitt....

emmitt only rushed for under 1000 yards twice for dal...first and last years.

over 1400 yds 5 times..... much easier for a qb to win with that kind of rushing game (ask dilfer about that). aikman passed for over 20 td's ONCE  in his career.....

winning more sb's does make aikman a better qb.  in the scheme of things aikman was pretty average.

1293846[/snapback]

that's odd because in '92 the 49ers rushed for 2315 yds to Dallas 2121yds,and in '93 the 49ers had 2133 to Dallas' 2161 and yet Aikman's team beat Young's in the NFC championship both years :D

that's odd because  in '92 the 49ers rushed for 2315 yds to Dallas 2121yds,and in '93 the 49ers had 2133 to Dallas' 2161 and yet Aikman's team beat Young's in the NFC championship both years    :D

1293900[/snapback]

don't confuse team rushing yards with ball control. and yes.... the team beat the other team....

92: emmitt- 173 total yds/2 td's; aikman- 322 yds/ 2 td's :D his 3rd highest in a playoff game

93: emmitt- 173 total yds/ 2 td's; aikman- 177/ 3 td's.....

personally i think their success was driven by the line and emmitt. after looking at his post-season game log, i'll say he has moved ahead of brady in my book based on the attempts. though he had only achieved 3 300 yd games. looking at his last 4 games he posted 2 td's and 8 int's.

looking at young... a lot of years with much less support at rb.

I would pick Aikman orver Montana any day.  Montana was an very good QB but Aikman was better. IMHO

1293931[/snapback]

Where can I get some of what this man (or woman) is drinking?? :D

I'll listen to the argument that Aikman was better than Young, but better than Montana?? NO WAY!!!

Guest THEbigred

Taking Montana over Aikman is pretty funny. Anyway er can we get back to the SB thing now...

Is the criteria is "best QBs who happened to be in SBs" or "best QBs based on their performances in SBs" - ? If the latter, LMFAO @ Elway in there. He notoriously sucked in SBs - so much so that the kiss-butt media made a huge deal of him not sucking in his last one.

Bradshaw, Montana, Brady are easily the top 3. Aikman is the most likely 4th. The 5th spot is somewhat debatable IMO. Young was great but it was just 1 SB. Although should multiple SB performances weigh more than 1 really good one? :D

New York Giants Att. Comp. Yds. TD Int.

Simms 25 22 268 3 0

:D

After a field goal and a rushing score by Joe Morris, Simms threw for his third touchdown, a 6-yard pass to wide receiver Phil McConkey. The 24 unanswered points put the game out of reach and Simms was a perfect 10-for-10 as the Giants set a record with 30 second-half points. :D

Linky

You couldn't ask for a much better performance from your QB in the SB IMO.

Aikman had a great supporting cast as do most winning superbowl qb's.  :D

1293906[/snapback]

Many losing QB's do too. Many times coaching, luck and fellow players determine the winner. At this level small things can determine the winners.

Is the criteria is "best QBs who happened to be in SBs" or "best QBs based on their performances in SBs" - ?  If the latter, LMFAO @ Elway in there.  He notoriously sucked in SBs - so much so that the kiss-butt media made a huge deal of him not sucking in his last one.

1294378[/snapback]

his last two :D

but i more or less agree with you. someone who's 3-0 should clearly be ranked higher than someone who's 2-3 if that's the only criteria.