[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kevin Jones down fall

TecmoBeast

Fantasy bust in 05, was taken high in all drafts.  And who could blame anyone who drafted him...  after all he blew up in the second half of 04.  In your opinion, what happened to his loss of production?  We saw a stud in 04.

1295239[/snapback]

We saw a stud in the latter half of '04, not all of it. The Lions were an offensive shambles in '05 and Jones suffered from that but he exhibited some serious durability issues too. I question his enthusiasm and it's difficult to blame him in that team.

Well, this is more of a comparison really.....but the same thing happened to William Green a few years back. As a rookie he was basically crap for the first half of the season. He ended the season strong (just like K.Jones did his rookie year) and was taken high in most drafts. Rookie's ending season's strong apparently is still a crap shoot for the following year. I remember some fantasy 'expert' on ESPN (Eric something or other) saying he wouldn't be surprised if Kevin Jones broke the 1800 rushing yark mark. I think he missed that one....

Not sure I could name any othe team that so defied their potential than DET this year. KJ did not suddenly become untalented, the offense as a whole just absolutely fizzled. KJ is a bit prone to injury which is something to consider, but with the right blocking there is no reason why he cannot improve this year.

His big games in 2004 came against MIN (2), IND, ARZ, GB and CHI so he at least will continue to face GB and MIN twice every year. He only had 3 games with more than 18 carries in 2005. Kind of hard to hit a groove when he kept getting pulled to share with Pinner and Bryson. KJ only had 186 carries for the year for 664 yards and 5 TD. That's only about 12 carries per game but he only averaged about 3.6 yards per carry. Pinner had 106 carries for 349 yards and 3 scores. more than one carry for every two that Jones had. And Pinner only averaged 3.3 per carry. I never did understand why Pinner was given as much playing time. Bryson had 64 carries too. They just never relied on KJ much.

This one is too easy. He plays for the Lions. While I neither like not dislike Detroit, they've been a wreck of a team for a while now. That's just the way it is. But I got caught up in the preseason hype as much as others. All those first round skill players, its hard to pass them by.

Not sure I could name any othe team that so defied their potential than DET this year. KJ did not suddenly become untalented, the offense as a whole just absolutely fizzled. KJ is a bit prone to injury which is something to consider, but with the right blocking there is no reason why he cannot improve this year.

His big games in 2004 came against MIN (2), IND, ARZ, GB and CHI so he at least will continue to face GB and MIN twice every year. He only had 3 games with more than 18 carries in 2005. Kind of hard to hit a groove when he kept getting pulled to share with Pinner and Bryson. KJ only had 186 carries for the year for 664 yards and 5 TD. That's only about 12 carries per game but he only averaged about 3.6 yards per carry. Pinner had 106 carries for 349 yards and 3 scores. more than one carry for every two that Jones had. And Pinner only averaged 3.3 per carry. I never did understand why Pinner was given as much playing time. Bryson had 64 carries too. They just never relied on KJ much.

1295247[/snapback]

I think DMD covered it pretty well, part of it were injuries but who knows how much, part of it was Mooch and playing the other two RB's, part Herrington and the underperforming passing game, and part offensive line.

I've been on record here as saying that I think KJ will have a solid year in 2006. I think 1500 and 12 TD's is very doable for him with the health issue being the main variable factor of course.

Not sure I could name any other team that so defied their potential than DET this year.

1295247[/snapback]

Prior to the season a lot of us around these here parts were touting a pretty good season for Det based on all the potential. Then they started the season and it was all downhill from there.

Seemed to me that the team was in disaray right from the git-go. A HUGH disappointment of a team. Could never decide on a QB, RB, and game plan.

Think that Jones mirrored that disaray. Not to mention durability starting to be questioned. Was big on him and even drafted him fairly high in some leagues. That'll teach me I guess. :D

New coach.... new attitude.... new beginning? Most of the pieces are there I think.

Kevin Jones has been the bane of my existence for the past two seasons. Two years ago he almost single handidly beat me in our SB, then I drafted him this year and he did nothing :D

Hopefully a new coaching staff will bring better results to DET, sad to see them struggle so badly. Now if they could just get rid of Millen... :D

I just read an article on Mariucci and it mentioned the fact that Mike Martz was being looked at for offensive coordinator at Detroit. Can you imagine Martz's passing offense in DET with the receivers they have? Of course, they would have to get a QB who could get them the ball, but if so, I would think KJ would have an easier time running it. :D

Edit to add: The article was saying that Mooch was planning "a long time off" from coaching.

Edited by junebugz

This far into this thread and no one has mentioned Detroit's offensive line?  I watched Detroit play several times.  Their o-line is TERRIBLE.  They can't pass block or run block.

1295442[/snapback]

Amen! Winning and losing starts in the trenches, and the Lion's O Line was suspect at best.

I just read an article on Mariucci and it mentioned the fact that Mike Martz was being looked at for offensive coordinator at Detroit.  Can you imagine Martz's passing offense in DET with the receivers they have?  Of course, they would have to get a QB who could get them the ball, but if so, I would think KJ would have an easier time running it.  :D

Edit to add: The article was saying that Mooch was planning "a long time off" from coaching.

1295428[/snapback]

I'm not buying their WRs. Zero effort out there. Not sure if someone said it here or it was on TV, but they drafted all these stud WRs with no veteran to show them how to be an NFL player.

This far into this thread and no one has mentioned Detroit's offensive line?  I watched Detroit play several times.  Their o-line is TERRIBLE.  They can't pass block or run block.

1295442[/snapback]

Bingo.

If the Lions don't take Offensive Linemen with every one of their 2006 draft picks then they're bigger idiots than originallly thought.

I had him on something like 4 of my teams ... that was his death nell ... :D

1297497[/snapback]

Burned me in three leagues. In fact...like a moron, I chose to keep him and trade away Rudi Johnson in a keeper league before 2005 started. Drafted him in the 2nd round in one league and he was part of a trade package I had in another. I still own him in the keeper and in a Dynasty league :D

Kind of hard to hit a groove when he kept getting pulled to share with Pinner and Bryson. KJ only had 186 carries for the year for 664 yards and 5 TD. That's only about 12 carries per game but he only averaged about 3.6 yards per carry.

Good info here. :D Maybe there are some NFL coaches that should take note a R/B needs to get into a groove and that's not done with 12 carries a game or sharing time by alternating series with different backs. I know you want to keep your back healthy but, I think some rbbc teams a just getting ridiculous. :D