[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

BEER CLUB

Azazello1313

ok let's get this thing going and see if it has any legs.

let's work off of this list of styles:

american IPA/british IPA

stout

porter

brown ale

scottish ale

belgian dubbel

belgian trippel

belgian witbier

belgian dark ale

hefewiezen

dopplebock

pilsener

marzen/oktoberfest/amber

i think going in that order makes a certain amount of sense, so shall we start with India Pale Ale (IPA)?

probably the best plan is to come up with a couple fairly widely available top choices that would make for good comparing, with a couple back up choices as well. i'm thinking some weeks it might also be cool to throw out a sorta high end "bonus" choice.

for IPA, it would probably be good to go with an american micro (there are SO many good ones) and put it next to a more traditional english IPA. let's hear some recommendations, but i'm thinking a good top two would be:

1) stone IPA

2) samuel smith's india ale

a good back-up american might be sierra nevada pale ale, though there are tons of others as well. stone is not quite as available as sierra nevada, but it's brewed in CA and i get it here in colorado so it must get a fair amount of distribution. a good back up english might be fuller's? and maybe for a "bonus" choice, the dogfish head 90 minute IPA?

the next big questions are, when do we want to do it and who's going to show up? please chime in...

Edited by Azazello1313

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm in.

i think the list is a good start. once we get through some of those, we could go out farther like red ales, lambics, irish ales, barleywines, etc. the sky is the limit.

when i read starting with ipa's, i immediately thought about stone, but i think the choices you have suggested are good and readily available. although i don't think sierra nevada pale ale is considered a true IPA. that would probably just fall under a typical pale ale. so do we want to have 2 different categories or just use them both as a comparison?

so count me in. i would suggest kicking it off next week sometime after the super bowl.

edit to add: thanks Az!!

Edited by rhippens

i'm in. 

i think the list is a good start.  once we get through some of those, we could go out farther like red ales, lambics, irish ales, barleywines, etc.  the sky is the limit.

yeah, i mentioned that in the other thread. could be a lot of fun, but 10-15 basic styles is probably a good place to start.

when i read starting with ipa's, i immediately thought about stone, but i think the choices you have suggested are good and readily available.  although i don't think sierra nevada pale ale is considered a true IPA.  that would probably just fall under a typical pale ale.  so do we want to have 2 different categories or just use them both as a comparison?

well, they're pretty darn close. i guess the difference would be IPAs tending to be a little hoppier than just a PA. but sierra nevada PA is pretty darn hoppy. way hoppier than a british pale ale like bass or something. i guess part of me wanted to pick something with a wider appeal, because a lot of beer drinkers don't like the over-the-top hoppiness characteristic of so many american IPAs. i think you're right though, stone may be a better first choice as far as demonstrating american IPA vs. british. SNPA vs. bass (two absolute classics in my mind) might be an interesting extra credit undercard. i figure it's good to keep the format somewhat open, so that people can get 1) what they like, and 2) something their liquor store carries.

i would suggest kicking it off next week sometime after the super bowl.

1297822[/snapback]

agreed.

In, Redhook IPA is top notch and easily obtainable. Then again having worked there I could have some bias. Bridgeport IPA is also excellant and obtainable. Though less "hoppy" in overall taste. Both are strong as all IPA's should be.

Edited by Hugh B Tool

I'm in. As long as things start around 9:00 or 10:00 EST I should be available most evenings.

I'm in the northeast, so availablility of some of the west coast breweries can be limited. Red Hook is typically available, although it is primarily the ESB. Gearys from Maine makes a very good pale ale that you can get throughout the NE. Saranac is a good IPA. ( still can't believe that it is produced in the Matts plant). I think that some good ones are also put out under the Harpoon and Brooklyn labels.

Should be fun. :D

I might try and stop in if I can.

We've been getting a fantastic IPA here in the restaurant from Britian; Meantime IPA.

Never seen it in a store, so probably not that easy to get but I highly recommend it. :D