[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Joey Porter

Puddy

Don't know about you, but this guy is starting to irritate me. I don't think Stevens' comments warranted his response.

Porter peeved about 'guarantee'

Story Tools:

Print Email Blog This

Associated Press

Posted: 1 hour ago

PONTIAC, Mich. (AP) - Steelers linebacker Joey Porter minded his manners and said nothing derogatory about the Seahawks during his first two days at the Super Bowl. That changed Wednesday after Seattle tight end Jerramy Stevens effectively guaranteed a victory.

Porter said Stevens' remarks were all he needed to get him going for the Super Bowl.

"I've been asleep all week but now I got woke up," Porter said Wednesday. "I've got my first taste of blood and now I'm thirsty for more. Until now, it was 'Watch what I say,' 'I can't say this,' 'I can't say that,' 'Don't do anything silly,' but I'm ready now.

"You look for the guys that say something that aren't supposed to say nothing, and I feel like he definitely was out of pocket to say what he said," Porter said. "I'm going to make sure he owns up to those words."

What agitated Porter were Stevens' comments Tuesday about Steelers star Jerome Bettis' much-publicized return to his hometown of Detroit to try to win a Super Bowl in what likely is his final season.

"It's a heartwarming story and all that, but it will be a sad day when he leaves without that trophy," said Stevens, who said later he wasn't guaranteeing a victory but was only saying what he felt.

Stevens also said Porter will have a difficult time whenever he is matched up with Seahawks All-Pro tackle Walter Jones.

"He had a huge game in the AFC championship game coming off the edge on the blitz," Stevens said of Porter. "I don't think he is going to have such an easy day against Walt, though."

Porter said Stevens' remarks made it even easier to get himself ready to play in his first Super Bowl.

"He's too soft to say something like that," Porter said. "He's going to have the opportunity to back up his words. I'm going to have the opportunity to back up my words. So, it's something I'm looking forward to and I'm ready to get going."

Porter also called Stevens "a first-round bust who barely made some plays this season." He also said a player of Stevens' stature "has a lot of nerve" to say what he said about Bettis.

Porter's outburst was the latest in a series of strong or inflammatory comments by him during these NFL playoffs.

He riled up the Colts during the divisional round by saying they relied on tricks and wouldn't play smashmouth football, then accused the NFL officiating crew of cheating the Steelers during their 21-18 upset of the Colts.

Steelers coach Bill Cowher subsequently cautioned Porter and other players about making comments that opposing teams might use for motivation. He also called Porter's officiating comments "ridiculous," and Porter subsequently had little to say before Pittsburgh's 34-17 victory over Denver in the AFC championship game.

Steelers players also were cautioned before the Super Bowl about not saying anything that the Seahawks could use for motivation, but Porter didn't seem to care.

"When a guy says something who lines up in front of me on every play, I have to like that," Porter said. "He has to see me. There's no way he can hide from me. We have to meet - over and over and over. ... I'll remind him every time I put him on his back."

Porter also said he was going to remind his Steelers teammates repeatedly what was said.

"It was good to hear it, I needed that," Porter said. "He spoke out of turn right there."

And what might Cowher think of his comments?

"I do what I have do to get myself going and he likes to see me going," Porter said. "He knows once I get going, he knows what kind of player he's going to get. That's going to make me play at a high level."

The NFL did not fine Porter for his officiating comments. But the league issued a statement that one of the calls Porter was upset about in the Colts' game - an apparent interception by Steelers safety Troy Polamalu - was incorrectly overturned upon review

Edited by Puddy

and why didnt they warrant a response? the guy guaranteed victory and called out the bus, the hero of the current steelers team. for once porter wasnt the one starting it. at least porter has backed up his talk with his play throughout the playoffs. a lot of guys talk and then disappear.

I think Stevens' response to the question was a little bit clever and nothing more. Calling him a first round bust and 'players of his status', etc. to the media is in bad taste IMO. Many, many players have guaranteed victories in the past wihout being humiliated by someone on the opposing team.

If this is really what it takes for Porter to get up for the Super Bowl, that seems a little odd.

Bottom line is I think he's a very good player with a mouth too big for me to like. He's not alone though.

Personally, I wish Porter would keep his mouth shut. I get sick of him always being the outspoken Steeler. I also can't deny, that he has been playing the best football of his career over the last three games. I think Porter over-reacted, and was just waiting for someone to say something, so that he could have an excuse to start talking. None of this is going to mean much of anything come Sunday though.

and why didnt they warrant a response?  the guy guaranteed victory and called out the bus, the hero of the current steelers team.  for once porter wasnt the one starting it. 

1299908[/snapback]

I hardly think the following statement is definitively calling out the Bus or guaranteeing a victory.

"It's a heartwarming story and all that, but it will be a sad day when he leaves without that trophy," said Stevens, who said later he wasn't guaranteeing a victory but was only saying what he felt.

Regardless, it isn't just basis for acting like a tool, and Porter has surely proven his ability to be a tool over and over again. How big of a homer do you have to be to defend this? :D

Frankly, almost everyone outside of Pittsburgh is getting sick of the Bettis story line leading up to this game.

Wow, if Porter need that to get up for the Superbowl.....

I guess there always has to be one guy to vent the steam for the team. I mean the pressure has to be incredible for these guys. Plus two weeks of nothing but SB talk... Has to get to these guys.

As a Hawk homer I love it. It gets me fired up! better than hearing all the standard replies from everyone to this point. I like Stevens popping off a little bit as well, Hawks need someone to step up like that. Porter is a great LB, and talker, and you knew something was coming. Stevens has a point about Walt Jones tho- and as for Porter?? I highly doubt the 6'7 270 lb Stevens is going anywhere.

Regardless, it isn't just basis for acting like a tool, and Porter has surely proven his ability to be a tool over and over again. How big of a homer do you have to be to defend this? :D

1299954[/snapback]

im not saying i agree with porter talking and talking each week.. but if he backs it up, i dont really care. he hasnt said anything since the afccg.. he has time and time again gave praise to walter jones and the offense. stevens started this whole thing.

as for the other post calling this good bulletin board material for the seahawks.. fine.. but saying the bus is going to leave detroit without a trophy was not very smart. i dont care what his intentions were or how you guys viewed the comments.

Frankly, almost everyone outside of Pittsburgh is getting sick of the Bettis story line leading up to this game.

1299954[/snapback]

Personally, I'm sick of all of it. I'm ready for them to line up and play the game. You would think someone who is a crazed fan like me would love all the media hype, but, to be honest, I don't even watch much of it as the days go on, as it is the same stuff over and over and over again.

As for Porter, it is a shame, all of the other Steelers can keep their mouths shut and just play the game, but, Porter just can't do that. Shut up and play !!!!!!

Once again, I don't believe any of this garbage is going to mean anything on Sunday. No one needs extra motivation, it is after all, the Oprahing Super Bowl !!!!

Edited by Menudo

For what it's worth, when Porter spoke out before the Colts game, it reminded me of something Abe Lincoln once said: "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Funny thing is, Porter's pregame statement that the Colts were "soft" was prophetic, at least for that game.

Frankly, I have no problem with his response to Stevens' comments. After all, when you get to this point, what's said before the game doesn't mean diddly.

As for the Bettis story, it's the national media that's promoting this angle. Last night, on a program on the NFL network, Donovan McNabb, after being prompted by Rich Eisen, gave his his take on the story. According to McNabb, here's a story about a black kid from a middle-class Detroit family who first gets to go to Notre Dame, then plays professionally in Los Angeles, St. Louis and Pittsburgh, having a measure of success throughout but never reaching the ultimate. Like all football players, he dreams of playing in, and winning, a super bowl. Then, wham, he plays in the super bowl, and is on the winning team, in his last season before heading off into the sunset.

Which of us would not want that to be our story?

According to McNabb, here's a story about a black kid from a middle-class Detroit family who first gets to go to Notre Dame, then plays professionally in Los Angeles, St. Louis and Pittsburgh, having a measure of success throughout but never reaching the ultimate.  Like all football players, he dreams of playing in, and winning, a super bowl.  Then, wham, he plays in the super bowl, and is on the winning team, in his last season before heading off into the sunset.

Which of us would not want that to be our story?

1300028[/snapback]

Agreed, anyone would love that to be about them but it's all that's being talked about and if the Steelers lose, the fall from that mountain top is going to crush Bettis and all that are hoping he gets to go out on top. Save the story for after the game if they win and then you can talk about it for the next few months for all I care.

Agreed, it is a good story...it's just that most of us are tired of hearing it.

Not a knock on the Steelers, or Bettis; the media just keeps beating it to death.

By the way, has anyone seen the Over/Under for # of times they show Jerome's parents in the stands during the SB? :D

As for the Bettis story, it's the national media that's promoting this angle. 

1300028[/snapback]

The Steelers have had just as much to do with this "After School Special" story line as the media. From Hines crying for Jerome after last years AFC tiltle game to all the Steelers showing up in Jerome's ND jersey in Detriot. I for one hope the Seahawks burst this bubble. The Steelers fans think the have such a class team. Well from the 2001 season when they already booked rooms in NO before the Pats beat them and then crying afterwards that the better team didn't win. Then claiming revenge the next season and getting spanked opening night. Last season when they beat the Pats in the regular season and Porter doing his "dirt kick" routine on Brady after a sack(very classy). That little diddy brought Richard Seymour to call him out after that game claiming that's why they'll never win a big game.(Maybe he's got somehing there??? After all what have the Steelers done in any big games over the last 25 years?)

The story line should be: What do Pitt and Peyton have in common? uhhhh-CHOKE! :D

The Steelers have had just as much to do with this "After School Special" story line as the media. From Hines crying for Jerome after last years AFC tiltle game to all the Steelers showing up in Jerome's ND jersey in Detriot. I for one hope the Seahawks burst this bubble. The Steelers fans think the have such a class team. Well from the 2001 season when they already booked rooms in NO before the Pats beat them and then crying afterwards that the better team didn't win. Then claiming revenge the next season and getting spanked opening night. Last season when they beat the Pats in the regular season and Porter doing his "dirt kick" routine on Brady after a sack(very classy). That little diddy brought Richard Seymour to call him out after that game claiming that's why they'll never win a big game.(Maybe he's got somehing there??? After all what have the Steelers done in any big games over the last 25 years?)

The story line should be: What do Pitt and Peyton have in common? uhhhh-CHOKE!  :D

1300050[/snapback]

What are big games ? AFC Championship games ? They just won one.

Is it Super Bowls ? They've only been to one in that time period, and they were 10 point under-dogs. Hardly what I would call choking.

Oh no...it begins  :D

1300057[/snapback]

Not at all. Finger does not have the ability to get to me. He is the AFC's version of Seahawk37, and most on the site know it.

What are big games ?  AFC Championship games ?  They just won one.

Is it Super Bowls ?  They've only been to one in that time period, and they were 10 point under-dogs.  Hardly what I would call choking.

1300058[/snapback]

lost 3 out of 4 AFC championships at home.....that's as big as it gets. I'll give you the the last one, but what did they do after the last AFC Champioship they won???? Point spreads don't come into play unless your betting. Pats were -14 in 2001. And that was the original "Shock the World".

Edited by Finger