[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone got a good BBQ sauce recipe or tip?

Pope Flick

I'm not a big sauce guy actually. If I use sauce I usually just buy Gates, which is a local BBQ joint. I could give you some ideas for dry rubs and such.

As a matter of fact, we actually only use a dry rub on our ribs and hardly ever put sauce on them. A friend of mine makes his own sauce, so we will sometimes put some of that on them. He will mix a little honey in it to give the ribs a honey-glazed taste.

He only puts it on at the end because you DO NOT want the sauce to burn and crust on the ribs. My advice is to put the sauce on about the last 20 minutes or so if you are slow smoking, and the last 5 minutes if you are direct grilling. Basically you want to heat up the sauce on the meat.

Edited by Chief Dick

4-6 tbs veg oil

2 yellow onions (chopped)

1 cup celery (finely chopped)

5 cups catsup

2 cups cider vinegar

2 cups water

1 1/3 C brown sugar

2 tsp cayenne

2 tsp salt

1/2 C honey (or to taste)

warm oil over med-high heat. add onions and celery. cook until soft and only slightly brown. add catsup, vinegar, water, sugar, cayenne, salt, honey..... bring to a boil then drop heat to low. simmer until sauce thickens slightly (about 15-20 min). i like to blend it, but your call.

this is a decent base.. you can do a lot of different things with it...

asian= green onions, soy, and hoisin sauce

sw= chipotles

could add liquid smoke for a smokey flavor.

garlic...

whatever floats your boat....

chief is absolutely right about using it close to the end of cooking.

I really like this one but as written, it makes about two cups so adjust ingredient amounts:

1 large onion--the recipe calls for smoking it but I've also carmelized the onion and then chopped it up

1 tbs vegetable oil

2 garlic cloves-minced (I always add more, but I love garlic)

1 cup tomato puree

3/4 cup cider vinegar

6 tbs molasses

3 tbs brown sugar

3 tbs tomato paste

3 tbs worcestershire sauce

1 tbs yellow mustard

2 tbs chili powder

2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

1 tsp salt

In a saucepan, warm oil over med heat. Add onion and garlic and saute til garlic is soft. Mix in remaining ingredients and 3/4 cupwater. reduce heat to lo and cook mixture til it thickens (recipe calls for 30 minutes, but I usually go longer bc I like a thicker sauce).

I cook (smoke) my ribs indirect for the first 4 hours or so. The last hour, they get direct, but not over searing heat. I begin to sauce them when I have about 30 minutes left. I just want a little carmelization from the sugars in the sauce.

Yum.

• 2 weeks later...