[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Emmitt and Aikman crying for Irving.......

Chief

NFL.com wire reports

DETROIT (Feb. 4, 2006) -- Emmitt Smith believes Hall of Fame voters are holding Michael Irvin's personal problems against him.

And he's incensed by it.

Smith, the NFL's career rushing leader and eligible for the Hall in four more years, campaigned vigorously for his former Dallas Cowboys teammate.

Irvin is on the ballot for the second time, and election results will be announced Feb. 5. Smith senses the wide receiver didn't get in last year because of Irvin's off-field troubles.

"But you're going to try to bring this personal side of it?" Smith said. "This is what he's done off the field -- what has that got to do with what he's done on the football field?"

Pounding his finger on a table and emphasizing every single word, Smith made his point.

"This is the Pro Football Hall of Fame, not the Life Hall of Fame. His stats are what they are. They are not going to change."

"There should be a set criteria in terms of understanding ... what it takes to get to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. If you're an athlete and you've got credentials like Michael Irvin -- Pro Bowls, records, Super Bowls, all those things -- if you stack up against that, whoever the panel is, somebody needs to sign off on it."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9207778

Alot of people were held to thier conduct, and I'm not so sure it's not wrong. Can see this at Canton, "Look son, theres the crack head, maybe one day you can be like him." Should the integrety of the Hall Of Fame be upheld and to a higher standard? I think so. Just my 2 cents.

I have a real problem with that.

Let's start this with off the field. Irving's actions should of put him in prison. But on the field, he was good, damm good and his numbers/accomplishments put him in the HOF.

So you want to judge his entrance by his entire life? Go ahead, but what's good for the Goose is good for the gander.

1. You have to wait at least 30 years before you are eligible. That way the entire life can be reviewed. Damm there goes Brett Farve (Drug Addict), Remove Warren Moon (Wife Beater)

2. All people with a shady reputation have to be removed, That should clear out some space (there goes the Raider Wing)

3. OJ Simpson, enough said.

"Look son, theres the double murderer, maybe one day you can be like him."

It's about what you did on the field.

Edited by JoJoTheWebToedBoy

I wouldn't put him in on the first ballot he deserves to wait for a good long time if he ever makes it.

BTW how many times has Art Monk been passed over? If/when he finally gets in, triple the time before we should begun to consider/forgive Irvin.

Edited by Voltaire

I wouldn't put him in on the first ballot he deserves to wait for a good long time if he ever makes it.

BTW how many times has Art Monk been passed over? If/when he finally gets in, triple the time before we should begun to consider/forgive Irvin.

1305202[/snapback]

Yeah it is sad when a average WR like Lynn Swann is in and great WR's like Monk and Irvin are left off year after year.

Yeah it is sad when a average WR like Lynn Swann is in and great WR's like Monk and Irvin are left off year after year.

1305211[/snapback]

I agree, but I'll take it a step farther when HoFers like Emmitt are whining about the exclusion of Irvin and the only time you here mention of Monk's exclusion is when it's prefaced with "It's a fliping crime that he's not in".

1305202[/snapback]

:D:D wow blast from the past

I have a real problem with that.

Let's start this with off the field. Irving's actions  should of put him in prison. But on the field, he was good, damm good and his numbers/accomplishments  put him in the HOF.

So you want to judge his entrance by his entire life? Go ahead, but what's good for the Goose is good for the gander.

1. You have to wait at least 30 years before you are eligible. That way the entire life can be reviewed. Damm there goes Brett Farve (Drug Addict), Remove Warren Moon (Wife Beater)

2. All people with a shady reputation have to be removed, That should clear out some space (there goes the Raider Wing)

3. OJ Simpson, enough said.

"Look son, theres the double murderer, maybe one day you can be like him."

It's about what you did on the field.

1304946[/snapback]

:D

I detest Irvin, but he does belong in the HOF. He will make it next year.

Art Monk also deserves the nod.

If he gets in before monk its a joke....

1306257[/snapback]

Word. :D

Troy and Smith shouldn't be so quick to dismiss Irvin's antics ... I can see letting him in based on starting for three superbowl victors -- but a bit of drug testing certainly would have changed (ended) his career and he's not quite TO if he doesn't play with Troy and ESmith, so I'm just as happy they're letting him rot a bit before letting his rings get him in ...

More concerned with Rayfield Wright, he needs to get in this year.

1304914[/snapback]

The bias toward Dallas does have it limits. I think Aikman will be the last nondeserving cowboy inducted.