[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Do you really think that the refs are cheating

Skippy

Knowing what you know and watching all the football that you watch. Do you really think they are cheating or is maybe just some bad calls?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Knowing what you know and watching all the football that you watch. Do you really think they are cheating or is maybe just some bad calls?

• Yes they clearly cheat.
    • No they don't cheat.

All I want to know is if we think that the Refs really do cheat or if there are just some bad calls/missed calls at bad times.

Now that TV is everywhere I am thinking that we really get to see ever angle on every play but I still don't feel like these guys are cheating.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think after the replay in Indy it was clear that that particular ref was cheating.

Tonights game did not help their cause either.

1307534[/snapback]

That was a terrible call and I hated it but I still don't think that he was cheating. I just don't think he had a clear grasp on that rule.

Maybe I am a glass half full kinda guy and don't even know it.

I just think it is human error, not cheating.  If I thought it was cheating, I'd quit watching the NFL, like I did with the NBA.

1307549[/snapback]

I agree with this. I also think that for the most part they do the best job that they can at the time.

I do wish that they would take steps to eliminate some of these potential problems and let technology play a bigger role.

That was a terrible call and I hated it but I still don't think that he was cheating.  I just don't think he had a clear grasp on that rule.

Maybe I am a glass half full kinda guy and don't even know it.

1307539[/snapback]

You may be right Skippy. but if we all got a grasp on it, you would think he would. I mean they have him reffing the playoffs, and he got to look it over , I just don't see how he could make that mistake.

Cheating?- wow, hard to even think that would happen, but after the Poly int in Indy/Pitt- I have some doubts. It is starting to remind me of the NBA- with home teams/superstars getting the benefit of the doubt and the refs dictating the games. I am not a conspiracy guy, but the way these NFL playoff games have gone- hard not to wonder.

I agree with this.  I also think that for the most part they do the best job that they can at the time.

I do wish that they would take steps to eliminate some of these potential problems and let technology play a bigger role.

1307554[/snapback]

There is just SO much going on in a NFL play, it's easy to see how things get "missed". As someone who has had to memorize a high school football rule book to take a test on becoming a ref, it will make you head swim. Then you have to process those written words into what you actually see. It's tough. What I don't see is how you can have 6 refs on the field, and they can't huddle together to decide that Hass did not block anyone but the interceptor to the ground. Or how Alexander didn't get horse-collared. Sometimes you see the play again in you mind and you talk yourself into a call. I think the offensive PI call and the holding call were of that variety. It's a tough job. And more instant replay would only slow the game down to a crawl. I just think the Seahawsk and Steelers seemed to be playing by differents sets of rules tonight. I don't understand that.

There is just SO much going on in a NFL play, it's easy to see how things get "missed".  As someone who has had to memorize a high school football rule book to take a test on becoming a ref, it will make you head swim.  Then you have to process those written words into what you actually see.  It's tough.  What I don't see is how you can have 6 refs on the field, and they can't huddle together to decide that Hass did not block anyone but the interceptor to the ground.  Or how Alexander didn't get horse-collared.  Sometimes you see the play again in you mind and you talk yourself into a call.  I think the offensive PI call and the holding call were of that variety.  It's a tough job.  And more instant replay would only slow the game down to a crawl.  I just think the Seahawsk and Steelers seemed to be playing by differents sets of rules tonight.  I don't understand that.

1307577[/snapback]

The calls that did not bother me was the Roth TD run. that call was so close I think the ref had to go with what was already called, and the offensive pass interference, I thought that was the correct call.

Now the Horse Collar, the Hass blocking penalty, the countless offsides by Pitt, a number of holding calls(some of which I can see how the ref made the mistake and some of which I do not)..those calls bothered me.

I agree that it seemed they were playing under different rules.

The calls that did not bother me was the Roth TD run. that call was so close I think the ref had to go with what was already called, and the offensive pass interference, I thought that was the correct call.

1307596[/snapback]

Yep. I agreed on the Roeth TD. I think he got in. But the PI was weak. guys do that ALL the time. Especially Moss and Owens. I didn't think the push was significant enough to be worthy of a penalty.

Yep.  I agreed on the Roeth TD.  I think he got in.  But the PI was weak.  guys do that ALL the time.  Especially Moss and Owens.  I didn't think the push was significant enough to be worthy of a penalty.

1307604[/snapback]

We pretty much agree I think. I think the call was pass interference but is consistantly not called as such during games.

The calls that did not bother me was the Roth TD run. that call was so close I think the ref had to go with what was already called,

1307596[/snapback]

Of all the calls, that one concerned me a lot because the side judge came running on and it seemed he was indicating Roeth was down. Then he signalled a TD, very, very late. Knowing Cowher, he'd have wheeled the Bus on for 4th and half an inch and got it anyway, but still, of all the calls that one seemed odd-looking.

I don't think there's systematic cheating going on, but it only takes two or three scattered around the league for the bookies to be happy.

We pretty much agree I think. I think the call was pass interference but is consistantly not called as such during games.

1307618[/snapback]

Exactly- and the DB made the first contact anyway. Really is too bad, Sea has multiple, game-changing holding calls- Pitt has none?? ridiculous, holding may be a judgement call, but usually is not so one-sided. Forgot about the offsides as well- our whole SB party was going nuts it was so obvious. Not just tonight tho- this whole playoffs has been a joke. There is still no explanation on the Poly int against Indy that will make me think it wasn't crooked. Tonight as well- makes me feel a little better seeing the responses from everyone, not just Hawk fans.

they are doing the best they can in a very intense situation. we have the luxury of watching instant replays from our couches over and over - they don't. they have a few seconds to make each decision. it's all a part of the game. we do have the right to say whether they did a good job or whether they did a bad job, since these should be the best in the world. it seems like the overwhelming majority feel like they did a bad job tonight. i would agree. doesn't mean they are cheating ... and it doesn't take anything away from the NFL and the game of football.

Of all the calls, that one concerned me a lot because the side judge came running on and it seemed he was indicating Roeth was down.  Then he signalled a TD, very, very late.  Knowing Cowher, he'd have wheeled the Bus on for 4th and half an inch and got it anyway, but still, of all the calls that one seemed odd-looking. 

I don't think there's systematic cheating going on, but it only takes two or three scattered around the league for the bookies to be happy.

1307634[/snapback]

I agree with this totally.

The ref did start to call him down ...and I think we would be fooling ourselves if we don't see that at least a few refs get pursuaded by(whether it be by the crowd, Mob or the league itself) something or another.

they are doing the best they can in a very intense situation.  we have the luxury of watching instant replays from our couches over and over - they don't.  they have a few seconds to make each decision.  it's all a part of the game.  we do have the right to say whether they did a good job or whether they did a bad job, since these should be the best in the world.  it seems like the overwhelming majority feel like they did a bad job tonight.  i would agree.  doesn't mean they are cheating ... and it doesn't take anything away from the NFL and the game of football.

1307651[/snapback]

They also had the luxury of seeing the Poly interception and still made that stupid call. the only reason they apologized is because there was no out for them. they won't be apologizing for these calls I would bet. they do not have to explain themselves on judgement calls.

It is clear to me that they need to revolutionize the way games are reffed.it would not cost much or take up much time to get a system in place.

Even if it makes games take a half hour longer I don't think you will hear the fans or affiliates complaining.

I agree with this totally.

The ref did start to call him down ...and I think we would be fooling ourselves if we don't see that at least a few refs get pursuaded by(whether it be by the crowd, Mob or the league itself) something or another.

1307779[/snapback]

If that guy was in someone's pocket, why wouldn't he immediately signal a TD emphatically?

It was an odd call as it appeared he was going to spot him down short of the goalline, but then he signaled a TD. There wasn't enough evidence to overturn the call on the field that happened in the 2nd quarter.

.... but still, of all the calls that one seemed odd-looking. 

1307634[/snapback]

The odd-looking one to me was the pass interference on Jackson. The ref was NOT going to call it until the Pitt player (forget who it was), turned around and started screaming at the official. He threw that flag waaaaay late and only after a player got on him.

Have a spine. The ref's first instinct to me was no flag. He appeared to be influenced bya player yelling at him which should never happen. That was bullsh-t IMO.