[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lost in the officiating fiasco

CaptainHook

Can someone explain to me why on God's green earth they felt the Seahawks should immediately kick the FG once they got in range? Who does that? They both acted like it was the normal play in that situation and seemed SHOCKED when they didn't rush the FG team out, and then onsides kick. How in the hell did Madden ever actually WIN a Super Bowl? Morans.

Edited by CaptainHook

Agreed- horrible. Madden has become a caricature of hinself, and flat out never gives an opinion or says anything remotely interesting or insightful. I like Michaels usually but he seems disinterested or something and I hate his little lobs he throws Madden to set up his genius analysis.

Was Madden flashing back to the Pats super bowl?  :D

1307662[/snapback]

Are you talking about the first one when it was suggested the Pats should just kneel at the end of regulation and take the game to OT? :D

Edited by CaptainHook

i thought it was a good point actually. take the sure 3 as soon as you can get it, and then leave yourself some time to do something after the on-side kick. it is a bit more conservative of an approach that puts you in a position to tie the game much sooner vs. going for it all on the drive they had and never having a shot to tie (which is what happened).

i'm not saying madden and michaels rock, but this wasn't a horrible point.

Can someone explain to me why on God's green earth they felt the Seahawks should immediately kick the FG once they got in range?  Who does that?  They both acted like it was the normal play in that situation and seemed SHOCKED when they didn't rush the FG team out, and then onsides kick.  How in the hell did Madden ever actually WIN a Super Bowl?  Morans.

1307646[/snapback]

I was sitting here saying the same thing. it would of been rediculous to kick a field goal there and then try and get a TD FROM FARTHER AWAY with even less time on the clock.they are knuckleheads.

Are you talking about the first one when it was suggested the Pats should just kneel at the end of regulation and take the game to OT?  :D

1307667[/snapback]

Yes. Madden was vehement that they should play for the OT rather than the win. Pure insanity.

i thought it was a good point actually.  take the sure 3 as soon as you can get it, and then leave yourself some time to do something after the on-side kick.  it is a bit more conservative of an approach that puts you in a position to tie the game much sooner vs. going for it all on the drive they had and never having a shot to tie (which is what happened).

1307668[/snapback]

How is that different than using the time NOW to get a TD and 2 pt. conversion? Then you try to get the onsides and kick a FG as time expires instead of having to get the TD and two poin conversion? The only way you kick that FG in that situation is if you have a fourth and long.

How is that different than using the time NOW to get a TD and 2 pt. conversion?  Then you try to get the onsides and kick a FG as time expires instead of having to get the TD and two poin conversion?  The only way you kick that FG in that situation is if you have a fourth and long.

1307673[/snapback]

you are right hook, it could go either way. i like the idea, however, of getting the field goal in the can quickly, and then dealing with the onside kick. if you get the onside kick, you know what you need to do - get it in the end zone to tie. by trying to score first, you are going for it all and if you don't get it, which is what happened, seattle never even gets to try the onside kick. seems to me like you get one step in the bag and get onto the next faster vs. never even having a shot.

:D

i'm not incredibly passionate about this point, i just see where madden was coming from.

Not for nothing, but what has Madden done for the game???  Personally, I'd like to see his bus run over his fat hindquarter (and break his leg, of course :D

1307669[/snapback]

Best winning percentage as a coach. HOF 2006.

I've heard of worse strategies down the stretch, such as throw a short pass out to the flats and stay in bounds.

Kicking a FG would have maybe left more time on the clock, but I'd rather try for the endzone first since you are closer at that time than after an onside kick.

Not for nothing, but what has Madden done for the game???  Personally, I'd like to see his bus run over his fat hindquarter (and break his leg, of course :D

1307669[/snapback]

Best winning percentage in the history of the game by any coach (with over 100 wins). Not too shabby.

Not to mention if they scored there and got the TD but did not get the 2 point conversion they would of had the option to try and get into the endzone to still try and get the victory.

1307686[/snapback]

Oh yeah, and there is that :D

Michaels was awful during the Hasselback fumble that got overturned. We all saw Foote get his hand on the QB as he was falling, but Michaels kept highlighting that his left elbow hit the ground 'meaning he was down'.. completely ignoring that his knee was already down. :D

I also could see the point they were making.  Kick it now, keep the time on the clock.

1307695[/snapback]

No. No. No. No. If you kick the FG right away, you MUST recover an onsides kick, get the TD AND a two point conversion.

If you go for the TD first, you bring the game within five. You of course attempt a 2 point conversion. IF you get it, you can onsides and go for the FG. If you don't get the two, you can still go for the TD. Their recommendation made no sense. Nobody ever attempts the FG first as long as they have a reasonable down and distance.

Edited by CaptainHook

No.  No. No. No.  If you kick the FG right away, you MUST recover an onsides kick, get the TD AND a two point conversion. 

If you go for the TD first, you  bring the game within five.  You of course attempt a 2 point conversion.  IF you get it, you can onsides and go for the FG.  If you don't get the two, you can still go for the TD.  Their recommendation made no sense.  Nobody ever attempts the FG  as long as they have a reasonable down and distance.

1308162[/snapback]

I don't see that it makes that much difference. It's all "IFs" - if you miss the FG you're screwed anyway.

i thought it was a good point actually.  take the sure 3 as soon as you can get it, and then leave yourself some time to do something after the on-side kick.  it is a bit more conservative of an approach that puts you in a position to tie the game much sooner vs. going for it all on the drive they had and never having a shot to tie (which is what happened).

1307668[/snapback]

The problem with that is this: The Steal-ers were not going to give up a 40 yard td at that point of the game. So the Hawks were going to have to drive the ball down the filed to score their td, whether it was first or second. So it would have been stupid to give up the field position they had for a field goal, only to try and drive the field later, if, they recovered the onside kick. They did the right thing by trying for the td first, then if they recovered the onside, they would have only had to go 30 yards or so to get into field goal range; much more doable with no timeouts than scoring the td.

Michaels and Madden are too old for this sport and need to be put out to pasture.