[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Steelers - Seahawks

untateve

As many know, I have no favorite NFL team.

Clearly, calls went against the Hawks yesterday. That's how the game goes.

I thought the Jackson offensive pass interference call was weak as was the "illegal block" by hasselback. Of course, hasselback doesn't have to make a tackle if he doesn't throw the pick. I don't know if there was holding on the Parker TD. There probably was but there's typically holding on every play. Did Ben get into the endzone in the air before getting knocked back? I don't know. Would the Steelers have gone for it on 4th and an inch? I don't know. For me, the bigger question is how did the Seahawks let someone get open downfield on a third and a mile?

It appears many of you played sports before and I'm sure many of you have coached on some level. I've coached soccer for about 20 years. I've had players/parents complain about calls that the refs made. My response is usually the same--did the players play a perfect game? did we coach a perfect game? Did we miss opportunities that would have made any blown call by the ref irrelevant? This usually puts things in perspective for players/parents. I've also had players complain during games to me about calls by the ref. My in-game response is pretty standard--"Bad call seems unfair?--Then try harder." If this is how I treat youth athletes and their parents, I'll hold professionals to the same standard.

Calls went against the Steelers when they played Indy. Fortunately, the Steelers played well enough in that game to overcome any blown calls. Pure and simple, the Seahawks did not do this.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess my take as a non-homer, was that both teams did not play to their potential. This is the biggest game that many will ever play, and I didn't see the intesity that I saw earlier in the playoffs definately from the Steelers, but as well from the Seahawks. Maybe two weeks off is too long.

Edit to add: the Steelers did out play the Seahawks, so the right team did win. Regardless of the officiating.

Edited by Rebellab

They did make the plays, the refs called them all back. PI call on Jackson was horrible, and the phantom holding call on the completion to the 2 to Stevens were plays that were made, and taken from them. Period. End of discusion. When you play a tough D, you can't ask an offense to make twice as many plays as they should have to.

They did make the plays, the refs called them all back. PI call on Jackson was horrible, and the phantom holding call on the completion to the 2 to Stevens were plays that were made, and taken from them. Period. End of discusion. When you play a tough D, you can't ask an offense to make twice as many plays as they should have to.

1308117[/snapback]

:D

1308117[/snapback]

Well, I guess we'll respectfully disagree on this.

1308117[/snapback]

So how many plays did the league MVP make? NONE! How about Jerame Stevens?

I'm not a fan of either team participating in last night's super bowl. I feel that Seatle and almost all NFL fans with the exception of Steeler fans were robbed. The PI on Jackson was very weak. The call on the Hasslebeck tackle was ridiculous. The Parker TD should have been called back for holding on the RT. The phantom holding on the Seahawks that cost them a TD is unexcusible. I'm not sure if Big Ben got in or not.

While I normally will state that a good team can overcome bad officiating, last nights game was so lop sided that I don't think many of the all time greats could have overcome it. They not only had to overcome the points taken off the board, but they also had to overcome the the break in momentum that the penalties caused. They had to over come the bad field possition the penalties caused. This game was a sham and as a fan of the NFL I feel cheated, I can only imagine how Seahawks fans feel.

I think Hasselbeck's interception and Seattle's missed Field Goals (and the ensuing field position) had more to do with Seattle's loss than the "bad calls". Hasselbeck played a very good game, but his mistakes cost the Seahawks more than Big Ben's mistakes hurt the Steelers. This game was a good game; the calls did not turn it into a traveshamockery.

As many know, I have no favorite NFL team.

Clearly, calls went against the Hawks yesterday.  That's how the game goes.

I thought the Jackson offensive pass interference call was weak as was the "illegal block" by hasselback.  Of course, hasselback doesn't have to make a tackle if he doesn't throw the pick.  I don't know if there was holding on the Parker TD.  There probably was but there's typically holding on every play.  Did Ben get into the endzone in the air before getting knocked back?  I don't know.  Would the Steelers have gone for it on 4th and an inch?  I don't know.  For me, the bigger question is how did the Seahawks let someone get open downfield on a third and a mile? 

It appears many of you played sports before and I'm sure many of you have coached on some level.  I've coached soccer for about 20 years.  I've had players/parents complain about calls that the refs made.  My response is usually the same--did the players play a perfect game?  did we coach a perfect game?  Did we miss opportunities that would have made any blown call by the ref irrelevant?  This usually puts things in perspective for players/parents.  I've also had players complain during games to me about calls by the ref.  My in-game response is pretty standard--"Bad call seems unfair?--Then try harder."  If this is how I treat youth athletes and their parents, I'll hold professionals to the same standard.

Calls went against the Steelers when they played Indy.  Fortunately, the Steelers played well enough in that game to overcome any blown calls.  Pure and simple, the Seahawks did not do this.

1308105[/snapback]

Mostly agree but how can you say that the call on Hasselback was WEAK? That is a horrible made up call. You cant tackle a guy and be called for "blocking below the waist". If that is the case, most tackles made on RB's running through the hole should be called for personal fouls. That call was a joke. And I do not uderstand what you mean when you said "Of course, hasselback doesn't have to make a tackle if he doesn't throw the pick." You are right but how can you defend the call? Wether the pick is thrown or not you simply cannot justify the made up call. Don't rip a guy for the pick and then justify the bad call when he did make the tackle.

Still no justification for Seattle losing. Thank Holgram for that.

Edit to add:  the Steelers did out play the Seahawks, so the right team did win.  Regardless of the officiating.

1308112[/snapback]

Really?

Time of Possesion:

SEA 33.02 PIT 26.58

Total Yards:

SEA 396 PIT 339

1st Downs:

SEA 20 PIT 14

Turnovers:

SEA 1 returned for 24 yards PIT 2 returned for 76 yards.

About the only category that you can say that PIT out played SEA was in Penalties and Rushing.

Penalties: SEA 7-70 PIT 3-30 Rushing SEA 137 PIT 181, and if you call back Parkers TD for the RT holding like it should have been, then PIT only has 106 Rushing yards.

So tell me again how PIT out played SEA?

Edited by Perchoutofwater

Mostly agree but how can you say that the call on Hasselback was WEAK?  That is a horrible made up call.  You cant tackle a guy and be called for "blocking below the waist".  If that is the case, most tackles made on RB's running through the hole should be called for personal fouls.  That call was  a joke.  And I do not uderstand what you mean when you said "Of course, hasselback doesn't have to make a tackle if he doesn't throw the pick."  You are right but how can you defend the call?  Wether the pick is thrown or not you simply cannot justify the made up call.  Don't rip a guy for the pick and then justify the bad call when he did make the tackle. 

Still no justification for Seattle losing.  Thank Holgram for that.

1308255[/snapback]

Uh, he said it was a weak call. Meaning they shouldn't have thrown the flag. You're arguing with a guy that agrees with you. :D

Really?

Time of Possesion:

SEA  33.02  PIT  26.58

Total Yards:

SEA  396  PIT 339

1st Downs:

SEA  20  PIT 14

Turnovers:

SEA 1 returned for 24 yards  PIT 2 returned for 76 yards.

About the only category that you can say that PIT out played SEA was in Penalties and Rushing.

Penalties:  SEA 7-70  PIT 3-30  Rushing SEA 137  PIT 181, and if you call back Parkers TD for the RT holding like it should have been, then PIT only has 106 Rushing yards.

1308262[/snapback]

Nice work Perch and the 7 penalties against the Seahawks for 70 don't even take into consideration the yardage that was lost because of the poor calls, add another 100 yards on there. How is any team to overcome 170 yards lost, most of which were due to bad calls.

Really?

Time of Possesion:

SEA  33.02  PIT  26.58

Total Yards:

SEA  396  PIT 339

1st Downs:

SEA  20  PIT 14

Turnovers:

SEA 1 returned for 24 yards  PIT 2 returned for 76 yards.

Penalties:  SEA 7-70  PIT 3-30  Rushing SEA 137  PIT 181, and if you call back Parkers TD for the RT holding like it should have been, then PIT only has 106 Rushing yards.

1308262[/snapback]

Just this idiots observation. The stats are close, I agree the calls were questionable. My point is that Hasselbeck floated a lot of passes. Stevens dropped at least three if not more. The Steelers D came up big when they needed to and had the opportunity. I am not arguing with you Perch, I just thought the Steelers played a better game. We can all say what if. Unfortunately all we have now are our opinions. Trust me I dropped some change on Seattle. I wish they would have won.

Mostly agree but how can you say that the call on Hasselback was WEAK?  That is a horrible made up call.  You cant tackle a guy and be called for "blocking below the waist".  If that is the case, most tackles made on RB's running through the hole should be called for personal fouls.  That call was  a joke.  And I do not uderstand what you mean when you said "Of course, hasselback doesn't have to make a tackle if he doesn't throw the pick."  You are right but how can you defend the call?  Wether the pick is thrown or not you simply cannot justify the made up call.  Don't rip a guy for the pick and then justify the bad call when he did make the tackle. 

Still no justification for Seattle losing.  Thank Holgram for that.

1308255[/snapback]

When I say the "illegal block" call was weak against hasselback, I mean it is a bad call. I thought my opinion was obvious but clearly I was wrong. However, and I stand by this opinion, hasselback doesn't have to make a tackle if he doesn't throw the pick.

When I say the "illegal block" call was weak against hasselback, I mean it is a bad call.  I thought my opinion was obvious but clearly I was wrong.  However, and I stand by this opinion, hasselback doesn't have to make a tackle if he doesn't throw the pick.

1308312[/snapback]

Hasselback doesn't throw the pick if his pass down to the two yard line was negated by a phantom holding call.

Hasselback doesn't throw the pick if his pass down to the two yard line was negated by a phantom holding call.

1308315[/snapback]

If Ben doesn't throw that horrible interception the score is 17-3 and Seattle never scores a TD.... this what-if game can go on and on.... Athena happens during a game and the Seahawks didn't make enough plays to win. The call was made and the Seahawks didn't make the plays after that :D

Edited by steeler

If Ben doesn't throw that horrible interception the score is 17-3 and Seattle never scores a TD.... this what-if game can go on and on.... Athena happens during a game and the Seahawks didn't make enough plays to win.  The call was made and the Seahawks didn't make the plays after that :D

1308330[/snapback]

But you can pin your "what if" onto an actual participant in the game. Not a referee. Big difference.