[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Steelers - Seahawks

untateve

But you can pin your "what if" onto an actual participant in the game.  Not a referee.  Big difference.

1308356[/snapback]

My point is (and untateve represented it much more clearly) is that everyone is focusing on the wrong thing. Even if the calls were blatantly wrong, the Seahawks had plays after the calls that they did not make. Surely, the calls that went against them made it more difficult for them to win, but officating part of the game.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

My point is (and untateve represented it much more clearly) is that everyone is focusing on the wrong thing.  Even if the calls were blatantly wrong, the Seahawks had plays after the calls that they did not make.  Surely, the calls that went against them made it more difficult for them to win, but officating part of the game.

1308370[/snapback]

They were continually put in long down and distance in the red zone. It happened three times. One was justified. The other two were not. Not easy to overcome.

the lame old "seattle has noone to blame but themselves" cliche rings awfully hollow to me here. yeah, seattle could have outplayed the steelers even more than they did and been able to overcome the fact that every questionable call in a game full of questionable calls went against them. if seattle played a perfect game, they still would have won by two TDs despite all the officiating adversity. that's how BAD roethlisberger et al played. but seattle didnt play great either, so they lost.

but the point isn't that seattle deserved to win. the point is that the steelers won by playing even worse than seattle. seattle didnt deserve to win, but i would argue that the steelers deserved to LOSE even more than seattle did. and that the steelers won specifically because the refs took two TDs and a ton of field position away from seattle. the calls, which ALL went one way, had a more dramatic impact on the game than anything either team did, and that's a dam shame.

steeler, wake up and realize that dam near EVERYONE outside of pittsburgh feels this way to one degree or another. even people mouthing the "seattle didn't make enough plays to overcome the calls" cliche are implicitly acknowledging that there was something there to overcome. seattle made as many plays as pittsburgh did, the difference is theirs were wiped off the board by bad officiating. so the result is tainted in a lot of peoples' minds. and not because we're "jealous" :D capische?

the lame old "seattle has noone to blame but themselves" cliche rings awfully hollow to me here.  yeah, seattle could have outplayed the steelers even more than they did and been able to overcome the fact that every questionable call in a game full of questionable calls went against them.  if seattle played a perfect game, they still would have won by two TDs despite all the officiating adversity.  that's how BAD roethlisberger et al played.  but seattle didnt play great either, so they lost.

but the point isn't that seattle deserved to win.  the point is that the steelers won by playing even worse than seattle.  seattle didnt deserve to win, but i would argue that the steelers deserved to LOSE even more than seattle did.  and that the steelers won specifically because the refs took two TDs and a ton of field position away from seattle.  the calls, which ALL went one way, had a more dramatic impact on the game than anything either team did, and that's a dam shame. 

steeler, wake up and realize that dam near EVERYONE outside of pittsburgh feels this way to one degree or another.  even people mouthing the "seattle didn't make enough plays to overcome the calls" cliche are implicitly acknowledging that there was something there to overcome.  seattle made as many plays as pittsburgh did, the difference is theirs were wiped off the board by bad officiating.  so the result is tainted in a lot of peoples' minds.  and not because we're "jealous" :D  capische?

1308393[/snapback]

Well put.

They did make the plays, the refs called them all back. PI call on Jackson was horrible, and the phantom holding call on the completion to the 2 to Stevens were plays that were made, and taken from them. Period. End of discusion. When you play a tough D, you can't ask an offense to make twice as many plays as they should have to.

1308117[/snapback]

I suggest a do over. :D

When I say the "illegal block" call was weak against hasselback, I mean it is a bad call.  I thought my opinion was obvious but clearly I was wrong.  However, and I stand by this opinion, hasselback doesn't have to make a tackle if he doesn't throw the pick.

1308312[/snapback]

I saw that exact same call earlier this year on an offensive lineman trying to tackle somebody after a pick.

You might say it's a weak call but evidently it is in the rules that you can't do it.

I saw that exact same call earlier this year on an offensive lineman trying to tackle somebody after a pick.

You might say it's a weak call but evidently it is in the rules that you can't do it.

1308420[/snapback]

No, you are thinking of the Pitt/Indy MNF game. The o-lineman went low and took out a blocker before hitting the ball carrier. That's why that one was called. That did not happen last night. Hass only hit the ball carrier. It was a blown call.

1308420[/snapback]

Exactly. I saw it earlier this season in a Steelers game called against the Steelers.

Exactly.  I saw it earlier this season in a Steelers game called against the Steelers.

1308465[/snapback]

No, you are thinking of the Pitt/Indy MNF game.  The o-lineman went low and took out a blocker before hitting the ball carrier.  That's why that one was called.  That did not happen last night.  Hass only hit the ball carrier.  It was a blown call.

1308463[/snapback]

1308420[/snapback]

Exactly.  I saw it earlier this season in a Steelers game called against the Steelers.

1308465[/snapback]

uhh, WRONG. you can't go low on a BLOCKER on an INT return. but hass didn't even come close to touching a blocker. he went low on the ball-carrier, which is a perfectly legal tackle ANY time. if you think you saw the same play called the same way, you're wrong. you probably saw someone go THROUGH a blocker low to try and tackle or divert the ball-carrier, and that is a completely different situation.

bottom line IMO...... is that the hawks had soooooooo many chances to put this game away...... can't blame the refs for those missed opportunities.

josh Brown sucked

tom rouen sucked

stevens dropped some critical catches

their clock management before 1/2 time falls clearly on holmgren

.... and the football gods were not in their corner - sorta-speak. ( I'm not blaming the refs. )

all year long the hawks seemed to have the breaks go their way. even against Washington they had 3 critical mishaps on special teams..... they over came those to still win. you can't do that over & over & over again & expect to come out on top.

the roethlisberger TD was not..... but my guess is the bus woulda pounded it in on 4th. down anyway. BTW...... was there ever a poorer performance by a SB winning QB that roeth ? He was downright awful.

Back to the Hawks.....championship teams cash in on opportunities.... they win the "field position battles of the game".... they overcome officiating issues & still find a way to win.

I thought holmgrens post game conference was great...... one of his first statements was...

" I want them to remember how this feels" - he knows this team will be back & soon.

see you in miami.

bottom line IMO...... is that the hawks had soooooooo many chances to put this game away...... can't blame the refs for those missed opportunities.

1308487[/snapback]

The Seahawks owned all of the first quarter and most of the 2nd quater, but put up only three points.

uhh, WRONG.  you can't go low on a BLOCKER on an INT return.  but hass didn't even come close to touching a blocker.  he went low on the ball-carrier, which is a perfectly legal tackle ANY time.  if you think you saw the same play called the same way, you're wrong.  you probably saw someone go THROUGH a blocker low to try and tackle or divert the ball-carrier, and that is a completely different situation.

1308484[/snapback]

It's easier to justify bad officiaiting when you don't know the rules.

josh Brown sucked

tom rouen sucked

stevens dropped some critical catches

their clock management before 1/2 time falls clearly on holmgren

.... and the football gods were not in their corner - sorta-speak. ( I'm not blaming the refs.  )

all year long the hawks seemed to have the breaks go their way. even against Washington they had 3 critical mishaps on special teams..... they over came those to still win. you can't do that over & over & over again & expect to come out on top.

the roethlisberger TD was not..... but my guess is the bus woulda pounded it in on 4th. down anyway. BTW...... was there ever a poorer performance by a SB winning QB that roeth ?  He was downright awful.

Back to the Hawks.....championship teams cash in on opportunities.... they win the "field position battles of the game".... they overcome officiating issues & still find a way to win.

I thought holmgrens post game conference was great...... one of his first statements was...

" I want them to remember how this feels" - he knows this team will be back & soon.

see you in miami.

1308487[/snapback]

i appreciate this graciousness from a hawks fan. it says a lot about holmgren that he's kept quiet thus far and not taken any fines. but as a football fan with no dog in the fight, i reserve my right to be appalled at the effort put forth by both teams and ESPECIALLY the zebras in a game that is supposed to be the pinnacle of the season.

Congrats to the Steelers, who won despite Big Ben playing like Tommy Maddox. Roethlisberger's a very good QB, but he was absolutely wretched last night. He almost gave the game away on that drive early in the 3rd quarter. Even that big 3rd-and-28 play could've easily been picked off. Hines was awesome and deserving of the MVP. Randle El did a great job on the fake reverse TD pass. And the Steelers defense... wow! Surprisingly, they played most of the game with 8 back in coverage and did a spectacular job, especially with regard to forcing incompletions by hitting Seahawks receivers hard.

Seattle got screwed by the refs on the D-Jax pass interference call in the first quarter. The holding call that negated first-and-goal on the 1 late in the game was questionable as well, but it was obvious to me that Seattle's line was holding throughout much of the game. So, despite what some people here think, I don't agree that the 'Hawks got screwed that badly by the refs. Seattle shot themselves in the foot several times. Jerramy Stevens' three or four dropped passes were completely inexcusable. I seem to remember D-Jax dropping one or two as well after his stellar first quarter. Seattle's defense played well on most downs (especially against the run), but gave up way too many big plays. Despite what his numbers suggest, Hasselbeck had a relatively good game. That TD in the first quarter shouldn't have been overturned. He scrambled for two or three first downs on broken plays as well. His only mistake (and it was a big one) was the stupid interception in the red zone with the score at 14-10. Alexander was effective, but didn't dominate in any sense of the word.

As I predicted, the solid Steelers defense limited the vaunted Seahawks offense. Seattle's offense is certainly prolific, but they weren't going to score 28 points (their average this season) against a defense like Pittsburgh's. Great defense will always beat great offense.

Congrats to the Steelers, who won despite Big Ben playing like Tommy Maddox. Roethlisberger's a very good QB, but he was absolutely wretched last night. He almost gave the game away on that drive early in the 3rd quarter. Even that big 3rd-and-28 play could've easily been picked off. Hines was awesome and deserving of the MVP. Randle El did a great job on the fake reverse TD pass. And the Steelers defense... wow! Surprisingly, they played most of the game with 8 back in coverage and did a spectacular job, especially with regard to forcing incompletions by hitting Seahawks receivers hard.

Seattle got screwed by the refs on the D-Jax pass interference call in the first quarter. The holding call that negated first-and-goal on the 1 late in the game was questionable as well, but it was obvious to me that Seattle's line was holding throughout much of the game. So, despite what some people here think, I don't agree that the 'Hawks got screwed that badly by the refs. Seattle shot themselves in the foot several times. Jerramy Stevens' three or four dropped passes were completely inexcusable. I seem to remember D-Jax dropping one or two as well after his stellar first quarter. Seattle's defense played well on most downs (especially against the run), but gave up way too many big plays. Despite what his numbers suggest, Hasselbeck had a relatively good game. That TD in the first quarter shouldn't have been overturned. He scrambled for two or three first downs on broken plays as well. His only mistake (and it was a big one) was the stupid interception in the red zone with the score at 14-10. Alexander was effective, but didn't dominate in any sense of the word.

As I predicted, the solid Steelers defense limited the vaunted Seahawks offense. Seattle's offense is certainly prolific, but they weren't going to score 28 points (their average this season) against a defense like Pittsburgh's. Great defense will always beat great offense.

1308570[/snapback]

Agree with everything you said here. What has been lost in this mess is that the Steelers defense really did step up big time, and Roethlisberger played and absolutely awful game.