[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

bradshaw and montana

Azazello1313

montana and bradshaw are the only two (out of 30 or whatever) who didn't feel it was worth their while to show up.  that should tell you something about bradshaw and montana.

1308820[/snapback]

No. Jake Scott was travelling in Australia and also did not attend. He's a female spray cleanser too right?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the article in your first post:

Former 49ers quarterback Joe Montana and former Steelers quarterback Terry Bradshaw decided to stay home, while former Dolphins MVP Jake Scott was traveling in Australia. . .

Montana, however, told ESPN2's Cold Pizza last week that he wasn't going to be at the game because his son had an important basketball game he wanted to attend.

I can't believe how judgmental this thread is.

I don't know Montana, but briefly met him once and is a "good family guy" in the era of Shawn Kemp type athletes.

The man had his price to leave his four kids (all involved in athletics) in the middle of the darn school year to go to Detroit where basically only expenses were covered for a ceremony that albeit cool, was nothing but a publicity stunt that won't be remembered next year, let alone a ceremony where his presence was required.

He made the decision that his time away from the family wasn't worth just having his expenses paid and had a price that the NFL wasn't going to pay, so he didn't show up.

There's not a darn person on this thread (who are truly the female cleansers here) who's in a place to judge him.

Is he supposed to show up at every NFL event and be permanently at the leagues' beck and call? The guy is retired and has the right to make the decisions, not cater to the whims of the numbskull masses who are swayed by silly stories like this. It was an ARBITRARY pre-game ceremony, its not as if he was flipping the coin.

Are NFL fans this gullible?

I don't know Montana, but briefly met him once and is a "good family guy" in the era of Shawn Kemp type athletes. 

The man had his price to leave his four kids (all involved in athletics) in the middle of the darn school year to go to Detroit where basically only expenses were covered for a ceremony that albeit cool, was nothing but a publicity stunt that won't be remembered next year, let alone a ceremony where his presence was required.

He made the decision that his time away from the family wasn't worth just having his expenses paid and had a price that the NFL wasn't going to pay, so he didn't show up.

There's not a darn person on this thread (who are truly the female cleansers here) who's in a place to judge him.

Is he supposed to show up at every NFL event and be permanently at the leagues' beck and call?  The guy is retired and has the right to make the decisions, not cater to the whims of the numbskull masses who are swayed by silly stories like this.  It was an ARBITRARY pre-game ceremony, its not as if he was flipping the coin.

1308877[/snapback]

Hey! I agree with you. Am I a female spray cleanser? :D

that he would have been happy to miss if the price was right :D

1308920[/snapback]

I'm sure he knew they'd say, "no". He was asking for ONE HUNDRED TIMES WHAT THEY WERE OFFERING. Seriously, I offered you $10 to come and give me a back rub. I doubt you'd accept. What would your price be?

Apologies for the overgeneralization.  I'm just perplexed why this is even a "story."

1308928[/snapback]

I DO think Bradshaw should have been there. I saw an interview with him about the healing that has gone on between him and the city of Pittsburgh. Not sure why he wouldn't go if he was actually in Detroit. If he was spending time with his family, then I don't fault him for not wanting to go to Detroit in Feb for $1000.

I DO think Bradshaw should have been there.  I saw an interview with him about the healing that has gone on between him and the city of Pittsburgh.  Not sure why he wouldn't go if he was actually in Detroit.  If he was spending time with his family, then I don't fault him for not wanting to go to Detroit in Feb for $1000.

1308941[/snapback]

I heard Montana on a sports radio show broadcasting from Detroit early in the week. I think he was there earlier and had to leave before the game.

Then again, who cares. He doesn't owe me anything. :D

Is he supposed to show up at every NFL event and be permanently at the leagues' beck and call?  The guy is retired and has the right to make the decisions, not cater to the whims of the numbskull masses who are swayed by silly stories like this.  It was an ARBITRARY pre-game ceremony, its not as if he was flipping the coin.

1308877[/snapback]

I think what gripes some people about this is that they seem to be dissing the very league and its fans that made them what they are and it does strike me personally as being waay too arrogant - sort of looking their former gift horse in the mouth. Poor form in any event.

I DO think Bradshaw should have been there.  I saw an interview with him about the healing that has gone on between him and the city of Pittsburgh.  Not sure why he wouldn't go if he was actually in Detroit.  If he was spending time with his family, then I don't fault him for not wanting to go to Detroit in Feb for $1000.

1308941[/snapback]

the point is, they're trying to honor these guys and the history they're a part of. "joe, come let us honor you, everything's on us"..."what's in it for ME?" pathetic. imagine if troy aikman got the call from the HOF and his response was, "well, are you gonna pay my appearance fee? i don't look great in yellow, and my son has a basketball game that day anyway...so...how much are we talking here?"

Listen, they are no longer employees of the NFL.  They don't have to be there.  They "owe" us nothing but the memories.  If he doesn't want to come, thats up to him IMO.

1308986[/snapback]

yeah, fine. i'm not saying he has some legal obligation to anyone. i'm saying he's a Megan Fox for holding out for more dough.

1308877[/snapback]

You proved your point of being judgemental quite nicely thanks...move along. :oldrolleyes:

I think what gripes some people about this is that they seem to be dissing the very league and its fans that made them what they are and it does strike me personally as being waay too arrogant - sort of looking their former gift horse in the mouth. Poor form in any event.

1308978[/snapback]

the point is, they're trying to honor these guys and the history they're a part of.  "joe, come let us honor you, everything's on us"..."what's in it for ME?"  pathetic.  imagine if troy aikman got the call from the HOF and his response was, "well, are you gonna pay my appearance fee?  i don't look great in yellow, and my son has a basketball game that day anyway...so...how much are we talking here?"

1308982[/snapback]

This is kind of the way I see it.

montana and bradshaw are the only two (out of 30 or whatever) who didn't feel it was worth their while to show up.  that should tell you something about bradshaw and montana.

1308820[/snapback]

I love Bradshaw as a QB, and respect Montana as one of the great QBs of all time, but ducking this ceremony was Rosie O'Donnell -- forget your appearance fees, shut up, and show up.

You owe it to the game.

It's that simple. And if it's not that simple in your mind, then you are a lot closer to being a "TO" style player than you are to being a true member of a team in a game that means the world to you. :D

Listen, they are no longer employees of the NFL.  They don't have to be there.  They "owe" us nothing but the memories.  If he doesn't want to come, thats up to him IMO.

1308986[/snapback]

Maybe on a literal level. But just because they don't HAVE to, doesn't mean we can't be disappointed that they refused. Every action has a consequence, their chosen action results in a bit of the tarnish chipping away from the legacy they continue to cash in on ... :D

given a choice between a family member's sporting event that won't be remembered or a pregame appearance that will not be remembered...... no question for me

1309069[/snapback]

fixed.

:D