[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

bradshaw and montana

Azazello1313

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is hystercial: Montana didn't want to miss his son's game so he asekd for $ that would make it worth it to miss the game. "Want me to miss that game?" Pick up his college tuition or I'm going to the game. A ricidulous counter is oftentimes code for "not interested, sorry" when they won't take the actual "not interested, sorry" at face value.

Nothing here, move along.....

"You proved your point of being judgemental quite nicely thanks...move along."

Oh please, judgmental in that Montana is free to make his own decisions. LOL what's your definition of "judgmental", I'm giving a HOF'er and family man the benefit of the doubt. Others are castigating him for not being the NFL's (female dog).

Everyone should do themselves a favor and think about this (non)story for a second. Use your brain and ask yourself why anyone should be expected to give up a weekend because their ex-employer asks them to.

Random pre-game ritual (and again, NO ONE WILL REMEMBER THIS), with no real rhyme or reason and Montana is expected to show up at cost because he "owes it to the game."

Where does this come from? We all have our price in our life decisions, whether its vacations, careers, salaries, overtime work, or what we do with respect to our budget.

$100,000 was what Montana wanted for an appearance, the NFL wanted him at cost. There is no one who can say that Montana is a bad guy for this unless you expect him to him to show up at the NFL's whim.

as someone who doesn't get to see much of his......

it would be nice to be  in a fancial situation where i could spend all of my time with family.

1309099[/snapback]

It is ... my two daughters played in a combined 67 softball games last season and I saw 66 of them (one night they played at opposite ends of the State and I could only make it to one). There is something, clearly, to be said for being an involved father -- and my choice of career and employer was predicated on making that possible :D

If that's what drew away Bradshaw or Montana, and not a lack of appearance money as the rumor mill has been festering on, I'd rethink my criticism of them.

I'm sure he knew they'd say, "no".  He was asking for ONE HUNDRED TIMES WHAT THEY WERE OFFERING.  Seriously, I offered you $10 to come and give me a back rub.  I doubt you'd accept.  What would your price be?

1308931[/snapback]

you had me at 'hello.'

This is hystercial: Montana didn't want to miss his son's game so he asekd for $ that would make it worth it to miss the game. "Want me to miss that game?" Pick up his college tuition or I'm going to the game. A ricidulous counter is oftentimes code for "not interested, sorry" when they won't take the actual "not interested, sorry" at face value.

1309106[/snapback]

and sometimes a ridiculous counter is code for "SHOW ME THE MONEY!!" :D

you guys make it sound like they were asking him to abandon his family or something. "it's them or us, joe". please. he coulda flown in for the game sunday morning and left that evening. any basketball game taking place on feb. 5th isn't going to be any sort of playoff or anything. i'm sure joe has missed one or two others...ya know, shooting a fedex commercial or doing a motivational speech to a bunch of corporate suck-ups, or putting itch cream on ronnie lott's beanbag for a tivo commercial.

sure you're going to miss things here and there..... who know what thier schedules are? you want someone to jump on a plane.. wave and smile, jump back on the plane and hope to make it back on time.....

common... stop crucifying him for this.

you guys make it sound like they were asking him to abandon his family or something.  "it's them or us, joe".  please.  he coulda flown in for the game sunday morning and left that evening.  any basketball game taking place on feb. 5th isn't going to be any sort of playoff or anything.  i'm sure joe has missed one or two others...ya know, shooting a fedex commercial or doing a motivational speech to a bunch of corporate suck-ups, or putting itch cream on ronnie lott's beanbag for a tivo commercial.

1309158[/snapback]

Do you know he missed his son's bball game for any of those?

Did he kick your dog or something? They wanted him, he wanted to be elsewhere and came up with what it was worth to him to miss his kid's game. Ever flown cross country and back in the same day? Was it fun? Do you think he needed that hassle for a grand, which is what he made as a base-day rate SAG player on his FedEx commercial and I doubt he was paid that little for that)? There's nothing to this here, just some bitter Denver fan who didn't like lsoing to him when he was at KC I guess...... :D

"We were disappointed we weren't able to work it out with him," said Greg Aiello, the NFL's vice president of public relations.

The former MVPs were guaranteed $1,000 for incidental expenses while in Detroit. The NFL also provided each former Super Bowl MVP with two first-class airplane tickets, a hotel room, a Cadillac for the weekend, two tickets to the game, two tickets to the Friday night commissioner's party, two tickets to a Saturday night party and two tickets to a Sunday tailgate party. There also were opportunities for paid appearances arranged by the NFL.

To sources close to the league said Montana refused to attend over money. One of the sources said Montana asked for a guarantee of at least $100,000 for appearances if he came here, and the league said it would not make that guarantee.

sounds pretty clear the $100k demand wasn't some out-of-left-field demand that he knew they'd refuse. there were going to be opportunities for "paid appearances", the league just couldn't guarantee any particular amount to any one player. for joe and terry, that was obviously a dealbreaker. 30 other guys were fine with it, though i'm sure they have families too. i think that suggests those two are Megan Foxes. if you don't, that's cool too. :D

Use your brain and ask yourself why anyone should be expected to give up a weekend because their ex-employer asks them to.

1309110[/snapback]

well, my ex-employer isn't wanting to bring me back to put me on display in front of the entire world ... we love football for what it represents and the enjoyment it brings to our lives. without the fans support, montana would not have had a stage. a simple gesture to show up and give something back to the game that gave you everything is more than fulfilling a request from an ex-employer. you are an idiot and should leave the huddle too.

so joe was in detroit, at least as late as thursday. placing himself near to the super bowl festivities so that he could get on TV and pimp the blood pressure drug he's a paid sponsor for.

More specifically, he was discussing Lotrel, a high blood pressure drug that Montana, not surprisingly, has an endorsement deal. At no point was this deal mentioned; the host (not Dana) just said, “How did you deal with the pressure of the Super Bowl?” and Montana said, essentially, “Lotrel!”

:D

These two fellas owe alot to the NFL and are still cashing in with commercials and airtime.  I'm very disappointed in the two QBs that couldn't show up.

1309821[/snapback]

These guys are both HOFers and multi-millionaires because of the Super Bowl. Bradshaw's regular-season numbers were pedestrian and he'd be living off of his NFL pension had he not played on those great Steelers teams. Montana's regular-season numbers were much better, but his career numbers aren't much better than Bledsoe's. He sure as hell wouldn't have the fame or money if he didn't have the fortune of playing on Walsh's dynasty teams.

Sad thing is, I didnt even notice that those 2 were missing.... :D

1310325[/snapback]

yep, I thought it was a pretty cool deal to announce them and didn't miss Bradshaw or Montana either. Missed Harvey Martin, but he had a good excuse, he is no longer with us. :D

Edited by Retrograde assault

Uh-oh!

When the NFL unveiled its MVPs from the previous 39 Super Bowls, only three living members skipped the ceremony.

Former 49ers quarterback Joe Montana and former Steelers quarterback Terry Bradshaw decided to stay home, while former Dolphins MVP Jake Scott was traveling in Australia.

Montana, the league's only three-time Super Bowl MVP, and Bradshaw reportedly turned down the invitation over money.

Both denied the reports.

In a phone interview with "Quite Frankly" host Stephen A. Smith on Monday night, Montana vehemently denied forgoing the ceremony over money and reiterated that his absence was due to his preference to see his son's basketball game.

Montana told ESPN last week that he wasn't going to attend the Super Bowl because his son had an important basketball game he wanted to attend. Bradshaw, according to the Chronicle, told league officials he wanted to be with his family.

Montana said money was never an issue and that he would not have attended the Super Bowl ceremony even if the appearance fee had been greater than the $100,000 he was reported to have requested.

Former MVPs were given $1,000 for incidental expenses while in Detroit, along with other amenities such as plane tickets, car rental and game tickets.

Sources told each paper that Montana asked for a guarantee of at least $100,000 in appearance money.

When the league balked at Montana's demands, the quarterback declined to be in attendance.

link

:D you buy that chit, hook? what do you think they're gonna say? i suppose the NFL people are just making that chit up about him demanding $100k? when he was there earlier in the week taking advantage of the super bowl hype to pimp the blood pressure medicine he's getting paid to endorse? maybe it was the money, maybe he didn't want to have to hang out with steve young, maybe bradshaw had whatever stupid petty reasons he had for skipping out. bottom line is they werent there because they didnt WANT to be there, and they defaulted to the predictable "spend time with the family" excuse, like anyone who skips an all-star game or whatever for their own selfish reasons.

i've always hated bradshaw, so no respect lost there. but i've always thought a TON of montana, so this really disappoints me. :D

Look Bradshaw is on NFL associated TV every week since last August.

He has a few weeks off and someone dreams up the idea of bringing everyone to Detroit for a 2 minute ceremony at the start of the game.

He was a Super Bowl MVP well over 20 years ago.

I think if he didn't want to fight the crowds and fans bothering him this week then let him stay home.

As far as Pittsburgh and Steelers there have been problems for years that have only recently started to thaw.

Where is there any proof that he demanded more money for an appearance? Does his contract with Fox allow him to participate?

As far as this "host" isn't he the same ex NBA player with an axe to grind every week on TV?

"reportedly turned down the invitation over money." Who reported it?

Does the reporter have any credibility?

Too many unanswered questions for me to believe this at this time.