[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The List

Jedi

Someone asked for a list...

• The long TD run should have been called back due to obvious holding at the line of scrimmage. I replayed it several times, although I didn’t need to.

• The interference call on Darrell Jackson in the endzone was malarkey. That call is rarel made. Not to mention, the defender made contact first. Was Hass out of the pocket?

• How about the play that got the Seahawks inside the 5 yardline that was called back for a mystery holding call that moved them out of the redzone?

• And yes there was the delayed signal for Roeth’s touchdown. I do not believe he got in. I’m sure Pitt fans believe he did. Official first signaled 4th down and changed his mind.

• There were others still.. on a Pitt punt return, the ball carrier fumbled. No call. No replay.

• The Hasselbeck “fumble” was not a fumble. Wonderful.. they overturned it. But why was such a bad call made on the field in the first place?

• Less meaningful by this time, but possibly the most mind boggling was when Hasselbeck tackled the guy who intercepted him. “Blocking below the waste” was the call. How does a tackler get called for blocking? That was 15 yards and tons of field advantage!

• The long 3rd down pass from Ben to Hines putting Pitt near the goal line…. There appeared to be a couple of lineman downfield… again, no call.

• There were also a few plays where Pitt was offsides when we were threatening in the redzone.

I don't agree with your whole list. I don't see the hold on the long run (although if they are going to call Locklear for a hold, then there were about 67 holds in that game).

There was one takedown by the Seahawks RT that was a holding call. I think it was on a pass D Jax. The one to Stevens was CRAP!

Roeth got in. But it was close.

I don't recall a blown fumble on the Pitt punt return. I thought he was down.

And on the trick TD play...Ben did exactly the same "block" that Hasselbeck got flagged on eariler, except this time it was actually a block.  No flag.

1309723[/snapback]

He's allowed to block below the waist there. He's allowed to block below the waist there. You can't block below the waist on a change of posession play. That's the rule.

Edited by CaptainHook

And on the trick TD play...Ben did exactly the same "block" that Hasselbeck got flagged on eariler, except this time it was actually a block.  No flag.

1309723[/snapback]

Nope. Can't agree. I watched that one several times. He hit above the waste and slid down. Good block. Great play. Bad 3rd string safety.

• Less meaningful by this time, but possibly the most mind boggling was when Hasselbeck tackled the guy who intercepted him. “Blocking below the waste” was the call. How does a tackler get called for blocking? That was 15 yards and tons of field advantage!

1309706[/snapback]

That call was possible the worst I've ever seen. How do the refs not get together and reverse that? It was so blatant that conspiracy theorists and even level headed fans suggest the fix was on.

• The long TD run should have been called back due to obvious holding at the line of scrimmage. I replayed it several times, although I didn’t need to.

• The interference call on Darrell Jackson in the endzone was malarkey. That call is rarel made. Not to mention, the defender made contact first. Was Hass out of the pocket?

• How about the play that got the Seahawks inside the 5 yardline that was called back for a mystery holding call that moved them out of the redzone?

• And yes there was the delayed signal for Roeth’s touchdown. I do not believe he got in. I’m sure Pitt fans believe he did. Official first signaled 4th down and changed his mind.

• There were others still.. on a Pitt punt return, the ball carrier fumbled. No call. No replay.

• The Hasselbeck “fumble” was not a fumble. Wonderful.. they overturned it. But why was such a bad call made on the field in the first place?

• The long 3rd down pass from Ben to Hines putting Pitt near the goal line…. There appeared to be a couple of lineman downfield… again, no call.

• There were also a few plays where Pitt was offsides when we were threatening in the redzone.

1309706[/snapback]

I will be interested to see the song and dance of the head of officials if he is interviewed on NFL network this week. Not expecting any real answers, I would just enjoy seeing him squirm like a weasel trying to sell us this sack of manure.

Edited by rattsass

I will be interested to see the song and dance of the head of officials if he is interviewed on NFL network this week.  Not expecting any real answers, I would just enjoy seeing him squirm like a weasel trying to sell us this sack of manure.

1309737[/snapback]

Some people like manure.

I don't agree with your whole list.  I don't see the hold on the long run (although if they are going to call Locklear for a hold, then there were about 67 holds in that game).

There was one takedown by the Seahawks RT that was a holding call.  I think it was on a pass D Jax.  The one to Stevens was CRAP!

Roeth got in.  But it was close.

I don't recall a blown fumble on the Pitt punt return.  I thought he was down.

1309727[/snapback]

I saw Ben's elbow break the plane, but not the ball.

The hold is there. #83 on #94 preventing the tackle.

On the pass to the 2 where locklear was called for holding Haggans, Haggans came early and it also appears that Hampton was lined up in the nuetral zone. I loaded the game MPG into Vegas and went frame by frame on this.

On the following play Haggans came early again.

Edited by NoSupe4You

1309706[/snapback]

Starks was about 2 yards down field, the other OL all stayed legal. Winstrom was also pushed to the ground from behind trying to get to Ben.

1309723[/snapback]

i believe he was in the tackle box, where cut blocks are legal. that was an excellent, legal block by ben. probably the best play he made all day :D

Starks was about 2 yards down field, the other OL all stayed legal.  Winstrom was also pushed to the ground from behind trying to get to Ben.

1310070[/snapback]

i believe he was in the tackle box, where cut blocks are legal.  that was an excellent, legal block by ben.  probably the best play he made all day :D

1310079[/snapback]

This applies to the push on Wistrom as well.

This applies to the push on Wistrom as well.

1310085[/snapback]

From the NFL Rule book:

Blocker cannot use his hands or arms to push from behind, hang onto, or encircle an opponent in a manner that restricts his movement as the play develops.

Doesn't mention any exceptions.

From the NFL Rule book:

Blocker cannot use his hands or arms to push from behind, hang onto, or encircle an opponent in a manner that restricts his movement as the play develops.

Doesn't mention any exceptions.

1310101[/snapback]

Dude, trust me. There is a "tackle box" where cutting and blocking in the back is allowed. Offensive lineman can do that. Keep looking in the rules.

Edited by CaptainHook

You skipped the catch by Stevens that he then fumbled out of bounds... called a no catch even though he got three feet down and turned around.

1309732[/snapback]

Three feet implies three legs? Something you know about Stevens that we don't, CEO? :D

:D

• The interference call on Darrell Jackson in the endzone was malarkey. That call is rarely made.

1309706[/snapback]

Soooo, it's a rule.

Soooo, he violated the rule.

Soooo, previous bad reffing is your excuse for why this penalty should be ignored?

Hmmm. Put his hand on the defender with arm bent. Straightened the arm while still in contact with defender. Created Separation. Gained advantage. Hmmmmm. That's textbook pass interference, regardless of how Michael Irvin wishes receivers would be allowed to play, this was a classic push off -- right in front of the ref!

That one having been dismissed, the Hass tackle/block penalty was a blown call and the Stevens fumble was a blown call ... Sooo, the refs did miss some calls, but if they actually call one right, you can't ask them not to because some ref in some earlier game didn't call it quite the same way ... Fix that in the offseason.

The DJax pass interference call isn't called 98% of the time. Also, he was grabbed, 18 yards down the field, on his initial break before the "offensive" pass interference.

Go ahead and pretend the refs didn't seriously malign this game, but realize that you are part of underwhelming minority, and you happen to be a Pittsburgh fan. Virtually everyone here at the huddle gets it, and the national media didn't write numerous articles about how horrendous the officiating was, cause the refs did a "decent" job and missed a "couple" calls.

Soooo, it's a rule.

Soooo, he violated the rule.

Soooo, previous bad reffing is your excuse for why this penalty should be ignored?

Hmmm.  Put his hand on the defender with arm bent.  Straightened the arm while still in contact with defender.  Created Separation.  Gained advantage.  Hmmmmm.  That's textbook pass interference, regardless of how Michael Irvin wishes receivers would be allowed to play, this was a classic push off -- right in front of the ref!

1310133[/snapback]

Just like in 80% of passing plays in the NFL. If you have yourself convinced that he created separation with the "phantom" push-off, then so be it. But I think the majority of real fans think the call was total BS.