[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2006 players likely to get released

Voltaire

Folks curious enough all have reasonable access to info showing which players will be free agents this offseason. Here's one for those curious ... http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=102&p=9&c=12&...lnid=83&yr=2006

But there are going to be lots of other players out there looking for new contracts since many won't be retained as well. What I want from this thread is get an idea of names of guys under contract who you hear or think (by it's nature this will be an imprecise list) will be cut for salary cap or any other reasons. I'll get this thing going with three WRs probably on their way out.

1) Terrell Owens- Everybody posting here knows the story. This one is a lock.

2) Eric Moulds- no chemistry with Losman, suspended by team at the end of the year, and a huge contract option for the Bills to pick up. Almost certainly done in Buffalo

3) Charles Rogers- You never know but the guy has had substance abuse issues, been injured, unproductive, lazy, and the real writing on the wall is the team has sued him to try to recoup some of their signing bonus money. Hard to see him back with the Lions.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edgerrin James and Vanderjagt are probably gone.

Reggie Wayne will probably be franchised.

Cato June and Robert Mathis are restricted free agents and should be back.

One name I will throw out there is Dominic Rhodes. He is due a hefty bonus in the off-season to get the final year of his deal. I'm not sure the Colts are going to pay it yet. He might be released.

Edgerrin James and Vanderjagt are probably gone.

Reggie Wayne will probably be franchised.

Cato June and Robert Mathis are restricted free agents and should be back.

One name I will throw out there is Dominic Rhodes.  He is due a hefty bonus in the off-season to get the final year of his deal.  I'm not sure the Colts are going to pay it yet.  He might be released.

1310839[/snapback]

Hook, I might be extremely clueless on this, but isn't Freeney and UFA as well ?

Hook, I might be extremely clueless on this, but isn't Freeney and UFA as well ?

1310849[/snapback]

A lot of people think that. No. He's not. He has one year left on his deal. However, he has hit an escalator in his contract that adds $5 million to this years deal. It would be in the Colts best interest to renegotiate to avoid a cap hit, but not crucial. He will be a Colt next year.

I dont see Edge hitting the market. First off he wants to go to Miami, but Ronnie Brown is entrenched there with big money. Miami isnt going to pay top dollar for Edge. Personally I think this ploy is to show Edge what his real market value is, aand it will be up to him to decide does he want to go to Arz, or possibly Tenn, or does he want to accept a lil less to stay in Indy and compete for a title.

Now if Pitt was smart, they would let Randle El walk, and sign Edge or Alexander to take away the primary weapon off one of thier possible opponents next season.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

I dont see Edge hitting the market.  I just think this will get done.  Manning will lobby to have the franchise back, back.

1310926[/snapback]

I just don't think they have the money Sarge. They've already implied that Wayne is their top priority. Freeney needs his deal extended to lower his hit. Both those things would have to get done before the Colts would even attempt to get Edge back. The only way I can see it happening is that if the market does not pay Edge as much as he thinks he's worth, especially with the amount of backs hitting the FA market this year.

I dont see Edge hitting the market.  I just think this will get done.  Manning will lobby to have the franchise back, back.

1310926[/snapback]

The Colts are facing salary cap issues and Polian has repeatedly prioritized signing Reggie Wayne meaning that the money won't be there to pay James anywhere near the salary he can command elsewhere.

The logic with taht is that Edge is getting long in the tooth and Wayne is both younger and WRs generally have longer careers. Plugging RBs into a system is much easier (as you know, rookie RBs fit immediatly, while WRs often take years). Plus, if you recall, the annual trouble Indy had finding a #2 WR to put alongside Harrison until Wayne stepped up.

Edited by Voltaire

Oh I dont disagree, but the cap is increasing significantly, and Manning can restructure like Troy Boy did in Dallas and they can keep that nucleus for another 3 yrs. i see Edge getting a 7 yr deal, only getting 3 yrs money heavily backloaded. he is such a complete back, that anything else will stall that high powered offense.

Oh I dont disagree, but the cap is increasing significantly, and Manning can restructure like Troy Boy did in Dallas and they can keep that nucleus for another 3 yrs.  i see Edge getting a 7 yr deal, only getting 3 yrs money heavily backloaded. he is such a complete back, that anything else will stall that high powered offense.

1310945[/snapback]

I've only heard the cap is increasing significantly if the CBA gets done. It hasn't, and it doesn't look like it will anytime soon.

I dont see Edge hitting the market.    First off he wants to go to Miami, but Ronnie Brown is entrenched there with big money.  Miami isnt going to pay top dollar for Edge.  Personally I think this ploy is to show Edge what his real market value is, aand it will be up to him to decide does he want to go to Arz, or possibly Tenn, or does he want to accept a lil less to stay in Indy and compete for a title.

Now if Pitt was smart, they would let Randle El walk, and sign Edge or Alexander to take away the primary weapon off one of thier possible opponents next season.

1310926[/snapback]

I would love it Sarge, but, unfortunately Randle-El isn't the only problem. Deshea Townsend is also a FA. Personally, I wouldn't be upset if he walked. He is a solid player, but I think McFadden has shown he can play, and could probably step right in to that spot. Ike Taylor is a restricted FA, and must be kept at all costs. Chris Hope is a FA. Hope isn't phenomenal, but, I think the Steeelrs would like to keep him. Then they have some more minor ones in Okobi (Who may become important if Hartings retires), Haynes, Morgan, and I am probably forgetting someone. They will ask Duce to take a mjor paycut, or he is gone. If Hartings retires, that frees some money.

Edge and/or Alexander would be huge, but the Rooney's won't overpay for them. They set a price of what they think is fair and stick to it, and that price probably won't be enough to bring either of them in.

I would love it Sarge, but, unfortunately Randle-El isn't the only problem.  Deshea Townsend is also a FA.  Personally, I wouldn't be upset if he walked.  He is a solid player, but I think McFadden has shown he can play, and could probably step right in to that spot.  Ike Taylor is a restricted FA, and must be kept at all costs.  Chris Hope is a FA.  Hope isn't phenomenal, but, I think the Steeelrs would like to keep him.  Then they have some more minor ones in Okobi (Who may become important if Hartings retires), Haynes, Morgan, and I am probably forgetting someone.  They will ask Duce to take a mjor paycut, or he is gone.  If Hartings retires, that frees some money.

Edge and/or Alexander would be huge, but the Rooney's won't overpay for them.  They set a price of what they think is fair and stick to it, and that price probably won't be enough to bring either of them in.

1310961[/snapback]

The way Ike taylor was exposed by DJax, how is he a priority at all costs. Id dump Joey Porter right now, and draft a rookie LB who would upgrade the position in training camp.

The way Ike taylor was exposed by DJax, how is he a priority at all costs.  Id dump Joey Porter right now, and draft a rookie LB who would upgrade the position in training camp.

1311032[/snapback]

Joey Porter, while an annoying big-mouth, is a very good OLB in a 3-4 defense. Ike Taylor is only in his 2nd year. He still makes his share of mistakes, but, he is developing well, and is the one CB that I would hang onto if I were the Steelers. He isn't there yet, but, he is going to be very good.

Edited by Menudo

Porter is good when he has a free rush to the QB,  And when he didnt, like Sunday, he disappeared.

1311049[/snapback]

I'll give you that he is a bit over-rated, but is still an above-average linebacker. I'll also freely admit that the Steelers blitzing, 3-4 defense, gives their linebackers more of an opportunity to excel than some others. I don't think our opinions are really THAT far off on this one Sarge.

Look for Bennett to be gone from the Vikings.

Not sure about Marcus Robinson (not that he matters much). Also K-Rob signed a one year deal last year so who knows if he is coming back. He had man love for Tice and may be on his way to Jax...

The way Ike taylor was exposed by DJax, how is he a priority at all costs.  Id dump Joey Porter right now, and draft a rookie LB who would upgrade the position in training camp.

1311032[/snapback]

Taylor wasn't exposed by DJax, unless you are talking about the 5 and out patterns he did in the first quarter. DJax didn't have a catch after the first quarter.

Taylor developed nicely this year, and did an outstanding job most of the year, especially against Chad. He will only get better. Now to Porter...

Porter played lousey in the SB, but that doesn't mean you can "upgrade" the position in training camp. Polamalu had a bad game too, but I wouldn't try to upgrade his position based on one game. Porter started out somewhat slow this year, then really turned it up mid season. I've never been a big Joey Porter supporter, but he's the emotional leader of that defense, and everyone feeds off of his emotion. Plus, he's perfect in the 3/4 defense. Every QB, every game looks to see where he is. Just ask Peyton Manning. Porter can be a lot better if he kept his mouth shut.

Menudo, I agree that Townsend is a priority. You can never have too many quality DBs. I look for McFadden to take over the starting role, but Deshea may be delegated to the nickle package. Hope should find his way back in, but it all depends on how much cabbage he is asking. It is a lot easier filling a FS spot that a CB. The Steelers also need to sign Okobi. Hartings may have one more year with those knees, and Okobi has been in the system for a few years now, and has played well when called upon. My bet is Verron Haynes is gone. Randel El isn't going anywhere.