[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2006 players likely to get released

Voltaire

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see the RavensVikings dump JamalBennett, sign the best 2 O lineman out ther, draft a RB and bring in a vet backup.  Then we can hope it's enough to plug the holes, keep the SteelersBears out of the playoffs and end these dark times we now live in.

1314509[/snapback]

Sounds about right to me.

I'd like to see the Ravens dump Jamal, sign the best 2 O lineman out ther, draft a RB and bring in a vet backup.  Then we can hope it's enough to plug the holes, keep the Steelers out of the playoffs and end these dark times we now live in.

1314509[/snapback]

Is Taylor a UFA. I don't watch all of the Ravens games, but, when they played the Steelers last year, I thought Chester Taylor was clearly a better back than Jamal Lewis at this point.

The Steelers might go from solid depth at RB to being as thin as could be:

Parker is definitely coming back

Bettis retired.

Haynes is an UFA. I thinnk the Steelers will try to keep him, but, if someone goes over the Steelers price that they think he is worth, he will be gone.

Staley will be asked to take a huge paycut, or he will be let loose. Not sure if he will do it or not. Even if he does, he has not shown the ability to stay healthy since we got him. It is a shame, because the guy still has some skills.

I saw enough from Parker to know that he is a solid contributor, but, I'm still not sold that he can ever be an everydown back. He is definitely a homerun threat, but as the season wore on, he started going down on first contact far too often.

Edited by Menudo

I think there is a better than 50% chance you will see David Givens on another team.  I give it about 65% at this point.

1310755[/snapback]

I'd put it at 75%, honestly. I just don't see the Patriots paying for him, as much as I'd love to see him stay. He makes the whole receiving corps better.

Though if the rumors of the Patriots pursuing Joe Jurivicius are true, that could lessen the blow...

I saw enough from Parker to know that he is a solid contributor, but, I'm still not sold that he can ever be an everydown back.  He is definitely a homerun threat, but as the season wore on, he started going down on first contact far too often.

1314557[/snapback]

That was a long year for what was effectively a rookie. He'll be a better back next year.

That was a long year for what was effectively a rookie.  He'll be a better back next year.

1315055[/snapback]

I really hope you are right, because, early in the year, what impressed me was not only his speed, but his ability to break out of tackles. That diminished as the season went on. This was essentially his rookie season, he didn't play much in his actual rookie season, so, maybe we will see some improvement next year. I hope so, because with his homerun threat ability, it would be nice to have him in there as much as possible, but he needs to be able to move the chains as well.

Is Taylor a UFA.  I don't watch all of the Ravens games, but, when they played the Steelers last year, I thought Chester Taylor was clearly a better back than Jamal Lewis at this point.

1314557[/snapback]

Yes. The Baltimore RB situation is real interesting. They have both RBs, Lewis and Taylor, as UFAs. And they can't use a tag could they, since neither one deserves the money that a franchise tag entails. So, it's not out possibility that they provide two other teams with starting rbs and find their own starting RB someplace else. I would guess that they try to retain one and let the other walk.

Lewis had an absolute cr@p contract year, he may come cheap but teams that sign him will have to roll the dice on if he can get his mojo back and stay healthy. I'm sure lots of NFL folks took note of Taylor's play this year too. He'll get a big raise. Heck, Cleveland was hot for him last year ... they may cool off now because I imagine they're happy with Droughnes, but it just shows that there will be interest.

I know for FF purposes the best gigs opening this year are in Indy and Seattle. Whoever runs the ball for those teams will provide a fantasy goldmine. James is done in Indy, they can't pay him. Alexander is far more likely to stay in Seattle, Seattle does have the ability to pay, but he's pretty much made it clear that he's going to charge a fortune for his services and isn't willing to cut Seattle any sort of home team discount. Part of Alexander's contract last year was they couldn't franchise tag him this year. So he's gonna see some serious coinage. Notice Hutchinson is also an UFA and you know he'll cost a lot too. Seattle may be better off keeping their O-Line intact and letting Alexander go. For the record, MoMorris is also an UFA in Seattle so the chances of him being the heir aren't as good as they may seem. He does know the system and they did spend a high pick on him back in the day so he has that going for him. Edge won't get tagged, Indy is going to spend the money the save from letting him walk to give Wayne a raise, and tag Wayne if necessary. I snagged Dominck Rhodes in both my dynasty leagues last year because I saw the writing on the wall with Edge and I remember a few years back what he did with the job. It seemed pretty sly at the time, but he played like crap when given the chance and really hurt his chance of inheriting the Indy job.

Both James and Alexander will be great FF plays next year however the chips fall. If Seattle or Indy look for cheaper alternatives at RB, that player will be a FF goldmine unless we see RBBC. The best replacement candidates would be the pair that come from Baltimore I would think. Green Bay RBs are availible as UFAs too. Way to go Green and Davenpoop getting season ending injuries in your contract years. These guys being hurt and all will be availible for cheap. DeShawn Foster is in the same boat. Other familiar names, not saying they're good ones... Anthony Thomas, Lamar Gordon, both Bennett and Williams from Minny, Ron Dayne, Vernon Hanyes.

So that's what teams have to choose from, then there are the rookies, then there are always a few guys who will be salary cap cuts.

Edited by Voltaire

Yes. The Baltimore RB situation is real interesting. They have both RBs, Lewis and Taylor, as UFAs. And they can't use a tag could they, since neither one deserves the money that a franchise tag entails. So, it's not out possibility that they provide two other teams with starting rbs and find their own starting RB someplace else. I would guess that they try to retain one and let the other walk.

Lewis had an absolute cr@p contract year, he may come cheap but teams that sign him will have to roll the dice on if he can get his mojo back and stay healthy. I'm sure lots of NFL folks took note of Taylor's play this year too. He'll get a big raise. Heck, Cleveland was hot for him last year ... they may cool off now because I imagine they're happy with Droughnes, but it just shows that there will be interest.

I know for FF purposes the best gigs opening this year are in Indy and Seattle. Whoever runs the ball for those teams will provide a fantasy goldmine. James is done in Indy, they can't pay him. Alexander is far more likely to stay in Seattle,  Seattle does have the ability to pay, but he's pretty much made it clear that he's going to charge a fortune for his services and isn't willing to cut Seattle any sort of home team discount. Part of Alexander's contract last year was they couldn't franchise tag him this year. So he's gonna see some serious coinage. Notice Hutchinson is also an UFA and you know he'll cost a lot too. Seattle may be better off keeping their O-Line intact and letting Alexander go. For the record, MoMorris is also an UFA in Seattle so the chances of him being the heir aren't as good as they may seem. He does know the system and they did spend a high pick on him back in the day so he has that going for him. Edge won't get tagged, Indy is going to spend the money the save from letting him walk to give Wayne a raise, and tag Wayne if necessary. I snagged Dominck Rhodes in both my dynasty leagues last year because I saw the writing on the wall with Edge and I remember a few years back what he did with the job. It seemed pretty sly at the time, but he played like crap when given the chance and really hurt his chance of inheriting the Indy job.

Both James and Alexander will be great FF plays next year however the chips fall. If Seattle or Indy look for cheaper alternatives at RB, that player will be a FF goldmine unless we see RBBC. The best replacement candidates would be the pair that come from Baltimore I would think. Green Bay RBs are availible as UFAs too. Way to go Green and Davenpoop getting season ending injuries in your contract years. These guys being hurt and all will be availible for cheap. DeShawn Foster is in the same boat. Other familiar names, not saying they're good ones... Anthony Thomas, Lamar Gordon, both Bennett and Williams from Minny,  Ron Dayne, Vernon Hanyes.

So that's what teams have to choose from, then there are the rookies, then there are always a few guys who will be salary cap cuts.

1315418[/snapback]

Now that is some serious knowledge dropping. Thanks for all of that info. I haven't gotten a chance to see what RB's were UFA's. It is going to be real interesting. I do think the Steelers will be in the market for someone. They know that Parker is a contributor, but, I don't think they are sold on him as the main man. I expect the Steelers to go the mid-level FA route on someone like Chester Taylor or Najeh Davenport.

I really hope you are right, because, early in the year, what impressed me was not only his speed, but his ability to break out of tackles.  That diminished as the season went on.  This was essentially his rookie season, he didn't play much in his actual rookie season, so, maybe we will see some improvement next year.  I hope so, because with his homerun threat ability, it would be nice to have him in there as much as possible, but he needs to be able to move the chains as well.

1315278[/snapback]

I think Willie did a better job of waiting for the holes to open later in the season as well. Bettis was a hugh help to him. I hope not having an experienced RB around to tutor him next year doesn't set him back. But I agree, he did seem to lose some steam towards the end of the season. It was either all or nothing with him. I would've liked to see more 4-5 yd carries. Rather than a bunch of carries for 1 yd and then a HR.

Now that is some serious knowledge dropping.  Thanks for all of that info.

1315435[/snapback]

I'm glad I could get back on your good side after you busted my chops in the Doug Johnson thread. I've been so interested in the backup Cincy job that I'd forgotten that they will also need a 4th string QB while Palmer rehabs to make training camp run smoothly. I have to think you're right now, that Johnson is just a warm body and training camp fodder.

The reason I pay attention to all this FA cr@p so closely is that in my money dynasty league, if a player hits FA, you have all summer to trade him or else he gets thrown into the rookie draft pool and you lose all claims to him. In turn what that means is that you're desperate to move a guy and you field all sorts of cr@p offers because you're desperate to move a guy and everybody knows this.

You should see the complete sh*t I've been offered for Reggie Wayne so far. I'm just glad I have months. The reason I follow the Eric Moulds situation so closely, and put his name in this thread, is because he's on my team too and I expect to be forced to take one in the p0oper for him as well. You won't see Moulds' name on any FA list, it doesn't get bounced around, but he's almost a lock to get cut. That's the sort of info I' looking for.

The reason I started this thread is because swapping FAs is the best way to go if you want to get a fair shake or at least have some Vaseline used on you. I've already moved Brown for Vinatieri for example. So for me anyways, I want a heads up as to who's gonna be out there to get.

Edited by Voltaire

I snagged Dominck Rhodes in both my dynasty leagues last year because I saw the writing on the wall with Edge and I remember a few years back what he did with the job. It seemed pretty sly at the time, but he played like crap when given the chance and really hurt his chance of inheriting the Indy job.

1315418[/snapback]

Back-up RB Domanic Rhodes is due a $1.45 million roster bonus in the off-season to activate the final year of his deal. There are rumors that the team may not pay it, allowing Rhodes to become a UFA as well.

You should see the complete sh*t I've been offered for Reggie Wayne so far. I'm just glad I have months.

1315661[/snapback]

Like you said earlier, most likely, Wayne gets franchise tagged. He should be a Colt next year.

Like you said earlier, most likely, Wayne gets franchise tagged.  He should be a Colt next year.

1315707[/snapback]

If Wayne gets signed before March 3rd FA season begins, I'll be so happy I may need to change my pants. If he gets tagged, it doesn't help me at all. and Rhodes.... it's not like he didn't have a chance. The job was there to be taken and he didn't make an impression. He Oprahing blew his chance. If he's a UFA, I just cut bait on him completly.

Edited by Voltaire

If Wayne gets signed before March 3rd FA season begins, I'll be so happy I may need to change my pants. If he gets tagged, it doesn't help me at all.

1315730[/snapback]

I doubt he gets signed long term before March 3rd. Why doesn't him getting tagged help you?

I doubt he gets signed long term before March 3rd.  Why doesn't him getting tagged help you?

1315738[/snapback]

Just league rules. Getting tagged doesn't make your player exempt from the "must trade or gets dropped" rule. I had to move Tony Gonzolez a few years back when KC tagged him. The best I could swing at that time was an anchient Jerry Rice so that's what I did.

Rice had a couple solid season still in him, at least one was a Pro Bowl, so I guess it didnt turn out too bad it gives you an idea of what happens.

Edited by Voltaire

Hmm.  The chances of Wayne getting signed befor March 3 is about 1%.

1315791[/snapback]

:D I think it's better than that, but not much. I told the guys, I'm not entertaining any more offers on Wayne until after March 3rd. I'm not too anxious to grab my ankles just yet. Lots of folks are interested in him, but the offers suck.

I'm hopeful that Owens gets cut, not traded. I seriously doubt he gets traded, I couldn't imagine anybody wants to pay Owens his cotract bonus and further Rosenhaus doesn't make a penny unless he renegotiates a contract. Owens may be a decent return for Wayne but you never know if he'll snap.

Edited by Voltaire

I'm hopeful that Owens gets cut, not traded. I seriously doubt he gets traded, I couldn't imagine anybody wants to pay Owens his cotract bonus and further Rosenhaus doesn't make a penny unless he renegotiates a contract. Owens may be a decent return for Wayne but you never know if he'll snap.

1315838[/snapback]

I was under the impression that according to the arbiter's settlement, the Eagles HAD to cut him. It was part of the deal.

Edited by CaptainHook

I was under the impression that according to the arbiter's settlement, the Eagles HAD to cut him.  It was part of the deal.

1315844[/snapback]

No. I don't think he gets traded though. http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/PHI/9157137