[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Odds for the Title Next Year

Menudo

now that they have one for the thumb, where does the next one go?

1312213[/snapback]

....next year, we start on the other hand. :D

The race for six...

Cowboys, Steelers, 49'ers

I think the Steelers have the best chance as it stands now......

Chiefs odds are a real good bet.

This team will be there next year. Mark it down now. And at 22/1...

1312503[/snapback]

That is a real good bet....There offense has bee tough for awhile, defense getting better. As a Hawk fan, I saw our D go from straight crap to pretty darn good, with a 2nd round draft pick in Tatupu and free agency.

The Colts at 4-1 after the meltdown we witnessed in the playoffs? Sounds like a good one to me. :D

Atlanta? Unless there are major changes..no playoffs again.

Chicago...will win division again...lose early. Overrated.

Philly...put a fork in em.

Cincinnati....gotta get by too many good teams.

1312009[/snapback]

As far as Philly goes, it's not only about them reaching the SB, but it's also about the odds you are getting for the chance. If they can get into the playoffs you can hedge against a 20/1 shot. I see them perhaps as underratted in the odds. They are not the favorite, but they aren't that different from the team that went to the Superbowl last year.

As far as Philly goes, it's not only about them reaching the SB, but it's also about the odds you are getting for the chance.  If they can get into the playoffs you can hedge against a 20/1 shot.  I see them perhaps as underratted in the odds.  They are not the favorite, but they aren't that different from the team that went to the Superbowl last year.

1312576[/snapback]

Uh, I am a huge Eagle fan, but to say they are not that different from 2004 is a gross overstatement. Lets see....

1. no Owens (who for sure had something to do with them being 13-3 and gaining homefield...I don't care that they won in the playoffs without him. If they had been on the road, like Pitt this year, they wouldn't have made it).

2. no Corey Simon

3. no Derek Burgess (2005 sack champ)

4. aging Kearse and Kalu at DE

5. Average DTs (Patterson was OK, but there was a reason they were 28th against the run on the road)

6. leadership questions at QB, where in 2004, McNabb was THE man

7. Still haven't shown they can run the ball when they HAVE to run it.

8. LBs that are slow (see Dhani Jones and Sam Adams) in a fast league.

9. A defense coming off a year where they were in the bottom half of the league...on 2004, they were #2.

10. no proven WR (not even a proven #2!)...Pinkston coming back a question mark.

11. In 2004, they had the world on their side...in 2006, the media and fans will be ready to pounce at the first sign of failure.

They will be very fortunate to make the playoffs in 2006...in fact, like this past year, they will be fortunate to not finish in the cellar (even the odds/rankings posted above show them as 4th in their division). The only reason their odds are as high as they are is that they are counting on someone betting them on the hunch that with McNabb back from inury, they will bounce back.

philly to me looks like a great bet at middle-of-the-pack odds like that. below teams like washington and tampa? no-brainer.

remember, they've got one of the best QBs and best coaches in the league. injuries, the TO distraction, and probably a bit of super bowl hangover killed their season last year. i think they have a very good chance of rebounding.

philly to me looks like a great bet at middle-of-the-pack odds like that.  below teams like washington and tampa?  no-brainer.

remember, they've got one of the best QBs and best coaches in the league.  injuries, the TO distraction, and probably a bit of super bowl hangover killed their season last year.  i think they have a very good chance of rebounding.

1313240[/snapback]

That's pretty much what I am saying as well. Everything changes year to year, but McNabb was pretty much hurting from the beginning of this past season. No contract problems with Westbrook. Before 2004, they didn't have TO or much of anyone else and they still did okay. I just see the odds being a good bet with a team that still has a shot at making the playoffs which is more then I can say with some of the other teams in that odds eange IMO.

With who playing QB for them? Fish are at least two years away, and unless they can grab a decent QB (Volek, Kitna or better), they ain't going anywhere deep in the playoffs.

1313025[/snapback]

First off.... if Nick Saban doesn't know, I sure as heck don't either. Just seems to good value to pass up and like you say two years may be more likely.

Everything I write below is total speculation on my part. But all the pieces are there if they could solve the QB problem. And their coaching staff is top of the line.

First, maybe the problem isn't so bad. It's not out of the realm of possiblity that team chemistry improves with another year in the system. They could make do it with what they have now... Frerotte or Cleo Lemon. Frerotte is an acceptable option. He's a caretaker sort and gave them about what they thought they'd get from him last year but not more. Teams have won with guys like this before.

I do hope/expect them to give Lemon a shot at the job in preseason. It's a lot harder to embarass a team's first string defense than the third string scrubs he's been going off on the last few years. See if he really has what it takes. Lemon may already be the answer or maybe he's a never-will-be. Either way, this is his big break and when the 'fins gave up both Feely and a 6th to get him, Schottenheimer went off on AJ Smith, so either he felt like SD got a$$raped on the deal or maybe he was just p*ssed that he wasn't consulted, or most likely both.

Cutler likely won't fall that far in the draft, but who knows. They may likely get a 2nd tier QB. If they go with a rookie it would not be good for their 2006 prospects of winning if they stat him.

There are more established names Warner and Kitna are avalible as UFAs. Aaron Brooks maybe Steve McNair. I can't say I know if Miami is interested in any of those guys, but they're out there.

Feel free to laugh at me for dropping this name too ... Brett Favre. It's just speculation, but I think the change of scenery may be just what he needs to get the competitive juices flowing and the INTs would drop significanty if he's not trying to do everything by himself. Suppose he's willing to leave Green Bay to take another shot at a title, where would he make the biggest impact?

Whatever happens though, Nick Saban is a smart, capable man. And I'm sure that he's going to spend a lot of time addressing his QB situation this offseason.

Then im going to kidnap Matt Millen week 1, then im sending all of Detroits Coaches, Players, and Fans a letter stating that if Detroit doesnt Win the Super Bowl im releasing Millen back to them.

1314206[/snapback]

That may be the one thing that could at least get them to the PO's. :D

Last year I put $50.00 on Det to win the NFC. This year I will probably do the same. Remember..... a fool and his money...... :D

All the rest of my money is on the 'Skins. NFC and SB.