[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jets to hold press conference at 3pm

Mr. X

He got screwed with his HC and OC both whining their way out of town. He let them go for a song... I don't have much more than an outsiders view ofthe situation.

HC can't get any staff assembled.

That organization is a mess right now.

As a rabid Jets fan, I think this is not only good news, but had to happen. Once it was obvious, back in November that Edwards wanted out, and the way Bradway protected him as he leaked all kinds of stuff to the press to grease the skids, I simply don't think Bradway had this franchise's best interest at heart. Mark my words, Bradway ends up in KC with his buddies, King Carl and Herm the Werm.

I wanted a shake up, and I got it. Manigini was a Tannenbaum hire, if Bradway had remained in control, TICE would be the Jets HC today. I can't imagine a worse choice.

Going with a youth movement like this is a gutsy call by Woody Johnson, and I'm very happy. This cuts the ties with Martin and Pennington who should both be cut, as they rebuild the offense around a QB that I think they will take in this draft... Cutler, Jacobs, Croyle, or Olsen. Bradway will hang around as the director of Scouting for this draft, and will then get his walking papers.... and all of this was very easy to see coming, starting with herm the Werm's press conferences back in November. We have identified the enemy, and it was us. Good riddance to the KC weenies, don't let the door hit you in the butt on yer way out.

Isn't Tannenbaum the business/salary cap guy? Are you Jets fans so sure that this is the guy you want running the team? Of course I'm a Lions fan and I've got Millen, but we'll save that for another thread.

Isn't Tannenbaum the business/salary cap guy? Are you Jets fans so sure that this is the guy you want running the team? Of course I'm a Lions fan and I've got Millen, but we'll save that for another thread.

1311595[/snapback]

Tannenbaum has been in player personnel development in some capacity for 13 years in the NFL now. Does that mean he can draft? I dunno, but Bradway is staying on at least for this draft as a consultant. I think this move was done to allow Mangini final say on the draft. He has been in the Jets FO for nine years. I know he's more than just a capologist, but just how good or bad at player evals is a big ?. Mangini will run this team though, and he and Tannenbaum have been good friends for a decade.

Isn't Tannenbaum the business/salary cap guy? Are you Jets fans so sure that this is the guy you want running the team?

1311595[/snapback]

Yes, he is the business/salary cap guy. And, no he is not the guy I want running the team.

The Jets are so screwed up, it has become humorous. The coach wants out, so the owner let's the GM - who also either wants out, or the owner doesn't want around - negotiate the compensation package for the outgoing coach. Then you let him hire the new coach. Then you let him hang around in some sort of diminished role so he can further undermine the franchise. And you put a guy who has no personnel experience in as GM. Two months before the draft. :D

I'm frightened, Auntie Em! :D

(And New York sportsfans are so upset by this news, that Mike & the Mad Dog are talking about Olympic ice skating right now... :D )

Edited by Vet

I was searching for more news on this development with the Jets when I came across the following story from February 1st:

Anderson signs Jets to retire in green

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (AP) - Fullback Richie Anderson signed with the New York Jets on Wednesday, so he could retire as a member of the team.

Anderson was out of football in 2005 after the Cowboys cut him last April. He spent the first 10 seasons of his career with the Jets after being taken in the sixth round of the 1993 draft. Anderson finished his career with the Jets ranked second in team history for receptions (305) and yards receiving (2,449) among running backs.

He also made the Pro Bowl in 2000. Anderson finished his final two seasons with the Cowboys, where he served as team captain.

OK. I can see Emmitt Smith signing a one day contract with Dallas in order to retire a Cowboy. Or, Jerry Rice wanting to retire as a 49er - fine, I'm all for it.

But Richie Anderson? Richie Anderson!

I mean, he's a nice player and all...but do we really need Richie Anderson coming back to Hofstra for a day to retire a Jet? Please.

Just another example of how much of a joke this organization has become.

This cuts the ties with Martin and Pennington who should both be cut, as they rebuild the offense around a QB that I think they will take in this draft... Cutler, Jacobs, Croyle, or Olsen.

1311516[/snapback]

Jets have three talented players. Pennington, Martin, and Vilma. It's probably a good plan to cut two of them and rebuild around second tier QB prospects. Yep. That'll help.

Hey, somebody's gotta be 4-12 so others in the league can be 12-4. :D

Granted, Pennington's injuries and Martin's age make these moves tempting, but with nothing in place to replace them, the Jets are better off praying for their recovery/return than cutting and running ... on empty.

Granted, Pennington's injuries and Martin's age make these moves tempting, but with nothing in place to replace them, the Jets are better off praying for their recovery/return than cutting and running ... on empty.

1311822[/snapback]

Agreed. The way I see things, you have to give Pennington a chance to come back if he is medically able. There is just too much money tied up there. And I believe Martin is in the last year of his contract, so if you cut him, you end up paying him practically all of his remaining money anyway. The right thing to do would be pick up a young RB and "Marshall Faulk-ize" Martin. If you can't get a good RB in the draft, let Cedric Houston split carries with Curtis for a year.

What a friggin' mess. :D

I was searching for more news on this development with the Jets when I came across the following story from February 1st:

OK.  I can see Emmitt Smith signing a one day contract with Dallas in order to retire a Cowboy.  Or, Jerry Rice wanting to retire as a 49er - fine, I'm all for it.

But Richie Anderson?  Richie Anderson! 

I mean, he's a nice player and all...but do we really need Richie Anderson coming back to Hofstra for a day to retire a Jet?  Please.

Just another example of how much of a joke this organization has become.

1311802[/snapback]

The man spent 10 years in green. If he calls the team requesting this honor you wanna be the one to tell him no?

Agreed.  The way I see things, you have to give Pennington a chance to come back if he is medically able.  There is just too much money tied up there.  And I believe Martin is in the last year of his contract, so if you cut him, you end up paying him practically all of his remaining money anyway.  The right thing to do would be pick up a young RB and "Marshall Faulk-ize" Martin.  If you can't get a good RB in the draft, let Cedric Houston split carries with Curtis for a year.

What a friggin' mess.  :D

1311839[/snapback]

Do you think Cedrick Houston is the guy ... I mean you're closer to the situation. But with Derrick Blaylock collecting high end backup RB money and houston collecting 5th? 6th? round RB money.

(I've got CuMar and Blaylock in a dynasty league and had too sh*tty waiver position to grab Houston too -and no roster rom anyways- so I'm hoping the answer is still Blaylock)

Jets have three talented players.  Pennington, Martin, and Vilma. 

1311822[/snapback]

That's a little harsh. jets have reasonable talent on the defensive side of the ball in addition to Vilma - John Abraham, Shaun Ellis, Dwayne Robertson, Eric Barton, David Barrett, Eric Coleman are all bona fide NFL starters at their respective positions. Abraham and Ellis are not very far removed at all from Pro Bowl seasons. If the Jets could replace Jason ferguson as a run-stopper in the middle of the d-line, they could have a strong defense, certainly better than average, although it may be difficult to put up solid defensive stats because they are likely to suffer on things like field position and time of possession because of the anemic offense.

Do you think Cedrick Houston is the guy ... I mean you're closer to the situation. But with Derrick Blaylock collecting high end backup RB money and houston collecting 5th? 6th? round RB money.

(I've got CuMar and Blaylock in a dynasty league and had too sh*tty waiver position to grab Houston too -and no roster rom anyways- so I'm hoping the answer is still Blaylock)

1311910[/snapback]

Why didn't Houston get to split last year? Because someone wanted to get CuMra to 1000 yards. That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard in a pro franchise. Why bother seeing what you may have for the future when you can let the old guy try to get 1000 for personal reasons only?