[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Abraham for Rivers Trade Talk

Vet

Jets would send DE John Abraham to San Diego for QB Philip Rivers.

This has been out there for a while, and I'm sure it has been discussed here in this forum. But the rumors are gaining momentum.

The Newark Star Ledger speculated that this trade could happen in an article on Monday: Star Ledger

Since then it has been gaining momentum on other sites with some saying it is imminent. The word is that Mangini wants to be certain that he has a QB to build around and the hiring of San Diego QB coach Brian Schottenheimer as the Jets new offensive coordinator could be an indication that Rivers is the guy they want. The recent addition of AJ Feeley by San Diego is being cited as further evidence supporting the trade. The speculation today is that disagreement over the deal is the reason Terry Bradway was abruptly shoved aside as GM and that new GM Tannenbaum and HC Eric Mangini will announce the deal soon, thus making their first big "splash" in a move toward putting their stamp on the team.

I'm not sure any of this is true. If this were fantasy football, I'd say it's great. But in the cap-constrained world of the NFL I don't see how you can have both Rivers and Pennington and you take a HUGH cap hit if you cut Pennington. Maybe they plan to just bite the bullet and take the big cap hit this season - I don't know. Personally, I wouldn't do it.

In any case, look for these rumors to pop up again in the "popular" sports media over the next few days.

Jets would send DE John Abraham to San Diego for QB Philip Rivers.

This has been out there for a while, and I'm sure it has been discussed here in this forum.  But the rumors are gaining momentum.

The Newark Star Ledger speculated that this trade could happen in an article on Monday:  Star Ledger

Since then it has been gaining momentum on other sites with some saying it is imminent.  The word is that Mangini wants to be certain that he has a QB to build around and the hiring of San Diego QB coach Brian Schottenheimer as the Jets new offensive coordinator could be an indication that Rivers is the guy they want.  The recent addition of AJ Feeley by San Diego is being cited as further evidence supporting the trade.  The speculation today is that disagreement over the deal is the reason Terry Bradway was abruptly shoved aside as GM and that new GM Tannenbaum and HC Eric Mangini will announce the deal soon, thus making their first big "splash" in a move toward putting their stamp on the team.

I'm not sure any of this is true.  If this were fantasy football, I'd say it's great.  But in the cap-constrained world of the NFL I don't see how you can have both Rivers and Pennington and you take a HUGH cap hit if you cut Pennington.  Maybe they plan to just bite the bullet and take the big cap hit this season - I don't know.  Personally, I wouldn't do it.

In any case, look for these rumors to pop up again in the "popular" sports media over the next few days.

1312867[/snapback]

Works for me. I just drafted Rivers in a dynasty league. It'd be nice to see him get a chance to play.

Edited by Cunning Runt

I don't know how the Jets are going to get anything done this offseason with the cap problems. This seems an unlikely scenario, but as you stated there will be plenty of stories like this to chew on over the next weeks.

I don't know how the Jets are going to get anything done this offseason with the cap problems.  This seems an unlikely scenario, but as you stated  there will be plenty of stories like this to chew on over the next weeks.

1312927[/snapback]

Thats the funniest avatar ive seen in a while

I don't know how the Jets are going to get anything done this offseason with the cap problems.  This seems an unlikely scenario, but as you stated  there will be plenty of stories like this to chew on over the next weeks.

1312927[/snapback]

In order to keep Abraham they would have to cut their cap by $24 mil, Don't see how they can afford Rivers.

I'm not sure any of this is true.  If this were fantasy football, I'd say it's great.  But in the cap-constrained world of the NFL I don't see how you can have both Rivers and Pennington and you take a HUGH cap hit if you cut Pennington.  Maybe they plan to just bite the bullet and take the big cap hit this season - I don't know.  Personally, I wouldn't do it.

1312867[/snapback]

They wouldn't be taking much of a cap hit at all by trading for Rivers. Only his base salary for this season. SD would have to absorb the hit from his signing bonuses, not the Jets. I think this would be a great move by the Jets. Penningtons career is over, IMO. They should cut him and let Rivers take his lumps next year.

They wouldn't be taking much of a cap hit at all by trading for Rivers.  Only his base salary for this season.  SD would have to absorb the hit from his signing bonuses, not the Jets.  I think this would be a great move by the Jets.  Penningtons career is over, IMO.  They should cut him and let Rivers take his lumps next year.

1312955[/snapback]

But don't they take about a 10 mil hit even if they release Pennington? I don't think they have that kind of wiggle room, but I am not an expert in Jets capology, just going on what I have heard.

They wouldn't be taking much of a cap hit at all by trading for Rivers.  Only his base salary for this season.  SD would have to absorb the hit from his signing bonuses, not the Jets.  I think this would be a great move by the Jets.  Penningtons career is over, IMO.  They should cut him and let Rivers take his lumps next year.

1312955[/snapback]

Agree if no cap hit this is a great trade for the Jets, SD really hoping Brees comes out OK in time for camp.

But in the cap-constrained world of the NFL I don't see how you can have both Rivers and Pennington and you take a HUGH cap hit if you cut Pennington. Maybe they plan to just bite the bullet and take the big cap hit this season - I don't know. Personally, I wouldn't do it.

1312867[/snapback]

If Pennington can't play NYJ are f*cked anyways with his salary. Pennington is a very capable, highly regarded young NFL QB and Rivers wouldn't even be considered if CP were healthy.

Look, that franchise needs a QB really badly. Tehy could go the cheap route and squeeze another year out of Vinny or some other has been waiting and crossing their fingers on CP or they they can eat the cap hit and move on. I think this is the right way to go.

Pennington is a huge drain of resources and it doesn't matter what position he plays because he can't play (actually I don't follow his injury status very closely since he's not my FF problem, just repeating the consensus opinion). So you get somebody who's highly regarded but hasn't/won't see the field in SD. Makes a lot of sense to me.

Abraham is a great DL, but you can't get quality without giving up quality. Again, if you want to shop in the blue light special bin for a QB, Vinny, Fiedler and Bollinger are already there.

Who said anything about blue light specials at QB?

If Pennington is physically able to play, I'd have him come back for at least one more season. If you cut him this year, the cap hit is $12 million. If you cut him next year, the hit is roughly half that.

The Jets are clearly trying to copy the Patriots model. And the Pats defense is system-based, not player based (although having the right players to run the system is obviously important). The Patriots don't have a big speed-rusher off the end, and they haven't needed one. I don't think Mangini thinks he needs one here. So I think Abraham is gone, I just don't know if Rivers is the guy I'd want back. Right now I'd rather get some help on the offensive line in return. Draft a young RB and/or WR. Then address the QB position in 2007 if Pennington can't get the job done.

The only way Rivers makes sense right now is if the Jets know that Pennington is not going to be able to come back from the second shoulder injury. Which is very possible - obviously they have the medical information, I don't. I'm just saying that if Pennington is physically able to play, it makes sense to let him try to come back given the salary cap situation they are in. If he's not, then they need to convince him to retire in which case I believe they get some salary cap relief - although I'm not sure exactly how that works.

Edited by Vet

If Pennington is physically able to play, I'd have him come back for at least one more season.  If you cut him this year, the cap hit is $12 million.  If you cut him next year, the hit is roughly half that.

1313122[/snapback]

Yowza. Gotta keep him one more year then.

Now that I think about it more... I just don't trust the Jets organiztion to make smart decisions. And this seems pretty snap.

I'm not sure what's going on in New York. New HC doesn't know his players yet and the recently appointed GM comes from the salary cap/business part of the organization not the football side.

The guy hasn't even moved into the big office yet but he's ready to trade a battlehardend stud and one of their jewels for a highly regarded but unproven QB with CP's status really unknown.

If it were any other team trading a stud for Phillip Rivers, then I'd be less concerned maybe. Not even on the job 24 hours yet and dangling Abraham out there for trade. I don't trust their decisions or ability to evaluate talent. And they're in the absolute worst media market in the country to be under such scrutiny too.

Don't know how they would fit him in, but how about Pennington to the Raiders? Randy once said Pennington was the best QB he ever played with...

1313301[/snapback]

You know we keep talking about Pennington, but we don't have any clue where he's at does anybody know the latest on his recovery? I mean it's his throwing shoulder, it's not like it's his knee or ankle, and it's been severly injured twice. And he wasn't all that effective after he hurt it the first time.

You know we keep talking about Pennington, but we don't have any clue where he's at does anybody know the latest on his recovery? I mean it's his throwing  shoulder, it's not like it's his knee or ankle, and it's been severly injured twice. And he wasn't all that effective after he hurt it the first time.

1313320[/snapback]

Good point. The guy has had terrible luck.