[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Samkon Gado, ready to roll...

Super Twinky

I am pulling for him. I really can't wait to see how the RB position comes about for next season in GB. Green, Davenport, Gado, and Fisher are all question marks for next year. Plus all the possibilities in this year's NFL draft. This will be very exciting to see!!!

Samkon Gado Looks Forward To New Offensive Scheme

by Jeff Fedotin, Packers.com

posted 02/06/2006

Four-and-a half months ago, Samkon Gado was a former backup at a Division I-AA school and an anonymous practice squader hoping to make it on an NFL active roster.

Three 100-yard rushing games in the NFL later, sunglasses and hats will not keep the autograph hounds away. That star-induced adulation has followed him from Green Bay, Wis., to his hometown of Columbia, S.C.

"I walk into restaurants, and people know who I am," Gado said. "The last two months have probably changed almost everything about my life."

The Packers' 2006 offensive scheme, however, will serve as a return to the familiar. Gado played in the new zone blocking scheme which will be installed by offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski and offensive line coach Joe Philbin while in college at Liberty University.

Gado's head coach at Liberty, former quarterback Ken Karcher, played under Jagodzinksi's mentor, Alex Gibbs, while with the Denver Broncos in 1987. Karcher liked the zone blocking scheme so much that he installed it at Liberty. Gado's experience in that system has him pumped for the 2006 season to begin.

"I've been running the zone blocking schemes for four years," Gado said. "Once I heard that connection, I just couldn't wait to start. That has a lot to do with my excitement in getting ready for next year."

Gado already has begun those preparations. While most players take time off following the season to rest their bodies, Gado, who ended his season by spraining a knee ligament in Week 15 against the Baltimore Ravens, has worked out intensely.

"Because I missed the last two-and-a-half weeks of the season," Gado said, "I felt like that was rest enough."

Gado spends two days in the gym each week, focusing on Olympic lifting. He follows those muscle-building sessions by running on a treadmill. He also spends three days-a-week on the track, working on general conditioning and speed.

"I'm trying to get at the highest level of conditioning I've ever been in my life," Gado said.

He displayed that same drive during his rookie season. Often players spend Tuesday, their off day, as far away from the stadium facility as possible. Even when he was on the practice squad with no chance of seeing action in that week's game, Gado, however, lifted weights and broke down film with running backs coach Edgar Bennett.

The hard work paid off. He not only earned a spot on the active roster but also became the starting running back in Week 10. Gado went on to rush for 582 yards and scored seven touchdowns. As the 2005 season wore on, the raw rookie improved his vision and patience in letting holes develop.

In 2006 Gado wants to take it another step. He yearns to become better at reading his blocks, protecting the passer and holding on to the football. Once he returns to Green Bay in March, he will perform daily drills to hammer home the correct form of using his forearm and hand to grasp the football high and tight near his shoulder. Gado fumbled four times in a three-game stretch last season, but he has set a goal of going without fumbles in 2006.

"I want to put the fumbling issue to rest," Gado said. "I want to greatly improve on that."

In the mean time he spends his offseason working out, visiting with friends and family and speaking at various engagements. Those speaking opportunities, all made possible by his new-found fame, have taken place all over the country. He has traveled to churches and schools throughout the southeastern United States and has trips planned to Ohio and California.

Gado has quite a message to impart. He lived in Kufai, Nigeria until the age of nine. In 1990 his father, Jeremiah, came to the United States to earn a doctorate degree in divinity at Columbia International University. Through a church in South Carolina, a donation was made one year later, allowing Samkon and his mother, Grace, to join him in America.

He went on to letter four times at Liberty while earning conference all-academic honors with a 3.66 GPA in health promotions and becoming a member of the university's honors program. Gado started only two games at Liberty but still made it to the NFL, signing as an undrafted free agent with the Kansas City Chiefs. After finishing his NFL career, he wants to become a doctor and return to his native Nigeria as a medical missionary.

Medical school, however, will have to wait. Gado's thoughts revolve around football now. Since the season ended, he watched other NFL teams compete in the playoffs while chomping at the bit to join them in action.

"Just watching the playoffs makes me want to compete that much more," Gado said. "I'm so excited. I just cannot wait to start the (organized team activities)."

http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2006/02/06/1/

I like everything about this kid. Hope he gets a shot at the starting RB gig with the new Coaching regime in Green Bay.

Gado :D

1316092[/snapback]

If he is healthy I don't see anyone taking his job, the kid showed a burst of speed that none of the other G.B. backs showed last year. they Packers went from not having a running game to having a excellent running game while he was in there. I think the biggest thing surrounding him is can he handle being a every down back, he got hurt in his 1st chance (although so did everyone else G.B. put in there.). should be interesting.

What a huge bonus it would be for me if he turned out to be the man in Packerland next year. In my main keeper league, we keep either 4 or 5 players, if you keep 5, you lose your 1st round pick. We are naming keepers two weeks prior to the draft, 3 weeks prior to the season. Running backs are a goldmine in this league's setup, even more so than in most league's scoring systems, especially receiving backs. Here are my consideration's for keepers:

Dom Davis :D

Warrick Dunn

Willie Parker

Samkon Gado

Chris Chambers

-------------------

Joe Horn

Donald Driver

Not overly impressive, but if Parker holds onto his position, and Gado has the Packer position, that could be HUGH for me, as I will have 4 starting backs and solid trade bait hading into the draft.

What a huge bonus it would be for me if he turned out to be the man in Packerland next year.  In my main keeper league, we keep either 4 or 5 players, if you keep 5, you lose your 1st round pick.  We are naming keepers two weeks prior to the draft, 3 weeks prior to the season.  Running backs are a goldmine in this league's setup, even more so than in most league's scoring systems, especially receiving backs.  Here are my consideration's for keepers:

Dom Davis  :D

Warrick Dunn

Willie Parker

Samkon Gado

Chris Chambers

-------------------

Joe Horn

Donald Driver

Not overly impressive, but if Parker holds onto his position, and Gado has the Packer position, that could be HUGH for me, as I will have 4 starting backs and solid trade bait hading into the draft.

1316126[/snapback]

Lot of If's there. I really do not see Parker being the starting RB for Pitt next year...what are they saying in Pitt Menudo? or I they still celebrating and not worried about other things right now?

Looks to me that the surest thing you have on that list is Chambers, but as you said RB's are what you need.

Lot of If's there. I really do not see Parker being the starting RB for Pitt next year...what are they saying in Pitt Menudo? or I they still celebrating and not worried about other things right now?

Looks to me that the surest thing you have on that list is Chambers, but as you said RB's are what you need.

1316143[/snapback]

Oh trust me, I know, and agree with you. I've never gone into a season with so many ?' Until this year, we named keepers on Super Bowl Sunday. I am thankful that wasn't the case this year.

As far as Parker goes, not much word yet in Pittsburgh, but, as it probably doesn't surprise you, I read pretty much everything that comes out of there, and it seems that it will be his job to lose, unless they would happen to bring in a top-tier guy like Edge or Shaun, which won't happen. I also don't think the Steelers are dumb enough to go in with just Parker. They will bring someone in to compete with, and/or share the load with him. I'm expecting them to bring in a Najeh Davenport type, and also draft a RB at some point. So, to sum it all up, I think it will be Parker's job to lose, but there will be 1 or 2 people brought in to compete for the job.

Oh trust me, I know, and agree with you.  I've never gone into a season with so many ?'  Until this year, we named keepers on Super Bowl Sunday.  I am thankful that wasn't the case this year. 

As far as Parker goes, not much word yet in Pittsburgh, but, as it probably doesn't surprise you, I read pretty much everything that comes out of there, and it seems that it will be his job to lose, unless they would happen to bring in a top-tier guy like Edge or Shaun, which won't happen.  I also don't think the Steelers are dumb enough to go in with just Parker.  They will bring someone in to compete with, and/or share the load with him.  I'm expecting them to bring in a Najeh Davenport type, and also draft a RB at some point.  So, to sum it all up, I think it will be Parker's job to lose, but there will be 1 or 2 people brought in to compete for the job.

1316219[/snapback]

If Parker does go in the Starter he will be a good fantasy option, just as someone said earlier he goes down way to often on the 1st hit.

Like you said I think they bring someone else in if for nothing else as a short yardage back.

1 thing I would do if I did go into next year with Parker as my starter if I am Pitt is start throwing the ball more to him.

If Parker does go in the Starter he will be a good fantasy option, just as someone said earlier he goes down way to often on the 1st hit.

Like you said I think they bring someone else in if for nothing else as a short yardage back.

1 thing I would do if I did go into next year with Parker as my starter if I am Pitt is start throwing the ball more to him.

1316242[/snapback]

It was me that said about him going down on first hits. Early in the year, he was breaking a lot of tackles, but as the season wore on, we saw less and less of it. They did start throwing him the ball a bit more, and their screen passes to him were very successful. I agree that should continue to look for more ways to get him the ball in open field with the passing game though, he truly is a blazer.

What about GB drafting Lendale White??

Would he start over Fisher and Samkon? Granted Ahman dosn't get resigned?

1317889[/snapback]

I say they don't draft White. I think Thompson is a very stingy manager, and he knows that running back talent is going to be super cheap this year in free agency. I bet he tries to land a decent free agent RB, and then pickup a reserve in the draft in the mid rounds. I bet GB trades down, and possibly several times. We all know that is Thompson's style anyways.