[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Okay Oakland, so now what?

DMD

Al Davis does actually plan on having a coaching staff this year, right?

From ESPN

Whisenhunt, Petrino won't coach for RaidersBy John Clayton

ESPN.com

After having a good visit Wednesday with Raiders boss Al Davis, Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt informed the Raiders that he would stay with the Steelers.

Whisenhunt left Oakland Wednesday night on a red-eye flight without an offer. He was told by Davis that the team would get back to him in a couple of days. Conversations with the team and Whisenhunt continued Thursday morning until Whisenhunt decided that staying with the Steelers was his best move.

While talking to Whisenhunt, the Raiders apparently made an offer to Louisville coach Bobby Petrino, who turned them down Wednesday night, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported. It was the third overture to Petrino, who said he was flattered but wanted to remain in Louisville.

With Whisenhunt out of the picture, the Raiders could move quickly to return former Raiders coach Art Shell to head coaching duties. Shell interviewed Feb. 2 and told Davis he's ready to serve when necessary. Shell is in the Tampa area for the next couple of days, but he told Davis he's ready to accept the job if offered.

Whisenhunt's agent, Eric Metz, stayed over in Oakland on Thursday night, but he left town Thursday without any deal being offered and knowing Whisenhunt's decision.

For Whisenhunt, it was going to be hard to leave a Super Bowl team, particularly one with the youngest quarterback to win a Super Bowl, Ben Roethlisberger. By staying, Whisenhunt can continue to expand the passing offense around Roethlisberger for an organization that has a chance to return to the Super Bowl in the next few years.

The Raiders had the luxury of waiting until after the Super Bowl to hire a head coach because they have the ability to keep many of the assistant coaches from last year's staff. Should Shell get the job, he will only have to make a couple of hires.

They will turn back to Art Shell I guess. He is one guy, I could never figure out why he didn't get another job. Had a winning record with the team and even led them to a conference championship game right? He never even got a sniff at another job, never made much sense to me.

They will turn back to Art Shell I guess. He is one guy, I could never figure out why he didn't get another job. Had a winning record with the team and even led them to a conference championship game right? He never even got a sniff at another job, never made much sense to me.

1316537[/snapback]

It's just another sign of racism in the White America.

Shell interviewed Feb. 2 and told Davis he's ready to serve when necessary. Shell is in the Tampa area for the next couple of days, but he told Davis he's ready to accept the job if offered.

Serving Al is a problem imo.

The only successful coach there recently did what he thought was right in spite of Al and I think Shell needs to take that attitude Al is good at getting talent but needs to keep his distance.

It's just another sign of racism in the White America.

1316559[/snapback]

JJ are you being sarcastic? :D Shell is a good coach but doubt if being black kept him out of the coaching ranks.

Edited by Randall

Shell interviewed Feb. 2 and told Davis he's ready to serve when necessary. Shell is in the Tampa area for the next couple of days, but he told Davis he's ready to accept the job if offered.

The only successful coach there recently did what he thought was right in spite of Al and I think Shell needs to take that attitude Al is good at getting talent but needs to keep his distance.

JJ are you being sarcastic?  :D Shell is a good coach but doubt if being black kept him out of the coaching ranks.

1316563[/snapback]

Kinda agree, except Art did pretty fargin good doin it his own way (well, al's way).

JJ are you being sarcastic?  :D Shell is a good coach but doubt if being black kept him out of the coaching ranks.

1316563[/snapback]

Definetely being sarcastic...to a point.

:D Art Shell

He should have gotten the job all along, and most of us in the Raider nation are really hoping he gets it.

He did an amazing job coaching them last time, and one of the main reasons is Shell, like the other most recent successfull Raider head coach Gruden, knows how to play Davis and work around him.

We'll see what happens, but Oaktown has definetly wasted a lot of valuable time with out a head coach...

:D Art Shell

He should have gotten the job all along, and most of us in the Raider nation are really hoping he gets it.

He did an amazing job coaching them last time, and one of the main reasons is Shell, like the other most recent successfull Raider head coach Gruden, knows how to play Davis and work around him.

We'll see what happens, but Oaktown has definetly wasted a lot of valuable time with out a head coach...

1316873[/snapback]

Ya kow, this is the truth. Ask most of the Raider fans you know, and we all say "Art Shell" and HAVE been saying Shell from the get go.

1316563[/snapback]

Al Davis is the biggest liability the Raiders have right now; you nailed it in that Gruden is their most successful coach since they canned Shell and he didn't necessarily subscribe to "the Raiduh Way."

:D  That's what I want too.

Either that or since Madden just lost his MNF gig... bring him back to coach.

1316894[/snapback]

Bring back Madden?? The HoF Coach???

I'm not quite sure why you'd want that since his record was around 130-30 as the Raiders coach, and he spanked your Broncos.

But if thats what you want to happen again... :D