[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

This is major mickey mouse

The Misfit

No wonder everyone hates politicians. And, Jean Schmidt has already proven herself to be an idiot, but I don't really know of any Bengals fans who thought the hit on Carson Palmer was "dirty."

This is from the Cincinnati Enquirer, so it has the Cincinnati angle, but it looks like a number of representatives from the state of Washington also refuse to congratulate the Steelers ...

WASHINGTON - When the U.S. House voted this week on a resolution honoring Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers, Cincinnati’s two members of Congress - Steve Chabot and Jean Schmidt - refused to go along with it.

Citing what many Bengals fans think was a dirty hit on quarterback Carson Palmer, Chabot and Schmdit joined eight other lawmakers -- mostly from Washington state, home of the Seattle Seahawks, who lost the Super Bowl to the Steelers -- in voting “present” instead of “yes.”

“I kept picturing Carson Palmer writhing in pain on the ground and I just couldn’t bring myself to vote ‘yes,’” Chabot explained today.

Said Schmidt, “While I congratulate the Steelers on winning, as a die-hard Bengals fan, I voted with Carson Palmer in my heart.”

Palmer was forced to have major surgery to repair two torn ligaments in his left knee after he was hit by Steelers defensive end Kim von Oelhoffen in last month’s playoff game in Cincinnati.

Chabot said he hopes the hit was an accident and explained that voting “present” was a more dignified way to oppose the resolution than voting “no.”

“I didn’t want to be unsportsmanlike, but I did want to send a message on behalf of the Bengals fans,” he said. “We’ll get them next year.”

The House resolution was sponsored by four Pennsylvania lawmakers -- and Ohio Rep. Mike Oxley, a Republican from Findlay, the hometown of Steelers quarterback Ben Rothlisberger, who also happens to be a Miami University graduate.

A similar resolution passed the Senate this week on a unanimous voice vote.

Edit to add: For those who don't know, Miami of Ohio, where Big Ben played, is about 35 miles north of Cincinnati.

Edited by The Misfit

WASHINGTON - When the U.S. House voted this week on a resolution honoring Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers, ...

1316637[/snapback]

You would think the U.S. House would more benificial things to do for this country than waste time writing up resolutions honoring sports franchises.

It's just a game for crying out loud! Get on with the jobs you were voted to do!

You would think the U.S. House would more benificial things to do for this country than waste time writing up resolutions honoring sports franchises.

It's just a game for crying out loud! Get on with the jobs you were voted to do!

1316646[/snapback]

Yeah, really, what a joke ! :D

1316646[/snapback]

For sure. I mean I don't know that this takes any real time or brain work but this should not at all be brought up by politicians.

Effiing stupid!

1316646[/snapback]

Agreed. If I were a reporter I would be grilling these slows. Why aren't more people outraged about crap like this?

I don't think I would last long at a newspaper doing editorials and such... :D

Agreed.  If I were a reporter I would be grilling these slows.  Why aren't more people outraged about crap like this?

I don't think I would last long at a newspaper doing editorials and such... :D

1316850[/snapback]

LOL I wouldn't last long either.

I'd probably manage to get myself assassinated

1316646[/snapback]

I believe they do this all the time - I mean not only for every SB winner but other sports and stupid things unimagineable to most people. This is nothing new or unusual.

I believe they do this all the time - I mean not only for every SB winner but other sports and stupid things unimagineable to most people.  This is nothing new or unusual.

1317286[/snapback]

Doesn't mean it needs to continue. Hey...slavery was fine and dandy but eventually it had to stop...:openingcanofworms: :D

Your tax dollars at work, ladies and gentlemen!!

1316689[/snapback]

That's my frustration -- we're paying these belugahs (both those who voted for my STEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELERS and those who didn't), but not to be doing stupid stuff like this. Calculate the cost of saleries involved in even 15 minutes of debating an off-topic resolution like this and just think what an impact that kind of coinage could have in rural America. Do some real legislative work you creampuffs!!! :D

Doesn't mean it needs to continue.  Hey...slavery was fine and dandy but eventually it had to stop...:openingcanofworms:  :D

1317333[/snapback]

I think we need to secede because of the The only 6 time Super Bowl Winners and YOUR DADDY.

darn you Union fatherless males!

:D

They didn't vote against it...

It didn't prevent any critical work from getting done...

I sure wouldn't sit there and officially congratulate the "enemy" without a brief protest.

It was a tongue in cheak attempt to show support for the hometown team while giving the slightest of jabs to the Steelers. Good for them.

Nobody went homeless or lost their jobs because a room a politians passed a resolution.

I think it was cool :D

1316646[/snapback]

Well said. Do something for the good of the country.