[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Keep the Carr, plant the Bush

DMD

The Texans have exercised a contract option by paying David Carr $8 million to stay with the team for the next three years. Looks like the Texans now will certainly grab Reggie Bush and Domanick Davis... well maybe his future in HOU not so bright now...

Texans exercise 'buy back' to keep Carr through '08

By Len Pasquarelli ESPN.com

HONOLULU -- In a move that could augur the selection of Southern California tailback Reggie Bush as the first overall pick in the 2006 draft, league sources here for the Pro Bowl confirmed late Thursday that the Houston Texans have exercised a "buy back" clause in quarterback David Carr's contract, paying him an $8 million bonus to secure his services for three more seasons.

Retaining the four-year veteran quarterback, who would have become eligible for unrestricted free agency had the Texans not exercised the option, makes it highly unlikely that Houston will choose Texas quarterback Vince Young with the top pick in the draft April 29.

Some fans have urged the Texans to choose Young, a Houston native. But Chris Mortensen of ESPN reported weeks ago that Houston officials are locked in on Bush, the 2005 Heisman Trophy winner.

There is still some chance that Houston could choose Young or perhaps Southern California quarterback Matt Leinart. But doing so would mean keeping a young quarterback on the bench for a few seasons, or trading Carr.

The Texans' confidence has wavered only slightly in Carr in four seasons. Every indication in recent weeks was that the Texans would pay the "buy back" bonus to keep Carr.

Former NFL head coach Dan Reeves, who served as a consultant to Texans owner Bob McNair, recommended keeping Carr, the top overall choice in the 2002 draft. First-year head coach Gary Kubiak, who has a strong reputation around the league for developing quarterbacks and whose presence could enhance Carr's performance, apparently gave him a strong endorsement, too.

Carr, 26, has appeared in 60 games, starting 59. He has completed 941 of 1,628 passes for 10,624 yards, with 48 touchdowns passes, 53 interceptions and a passer rating of 73.7. But the former Fresno State star has suffered from a lack of support, particularly on the offensive line.

He has been sacked an amazing 208 times in his career, including a league-record 76 times in 2002 and 68 times during the 2005 campaign. Carr has a 16-43 record as a starter.

Under the terms of the complicated seven-year, $46.75 million contract Carr signed as a rookie, the final three seasons of the deal were voidable. Early in his career, Carr reached sufficient performance levels to cancel those three years, and technically, his contract would have expired on March 3, the first day of free agency.

But the Texans had the right to "buy back" the voidable years and had two options for doing so. The first would have involved paying Carr a bonus of $5.5 million to buy back two seasons, at base salaries of $5 million for 2006 and $5.25 million for 2007. The second, the deal for which Houston opted, included the $8 million bonus, which bought back three seasons, at base salaries of $5.25 million each in 2006 and 2007 and of $6 million in 2008.

At one point during the season, Houston officials considered the possibility of exercising the two-year option. The Texans also reviewed which NFL franchises might need a quarterback of starting caliber in the next few years, in the event they decided to trade Carr.

They have never come close, however, to putting Carr on the market.

I have been figuring and hoping, that this would be the way the went. I think with the right coaching Carr could turn things around and be a good quarterback. I am still not sure about the Bush/Domanick situation, as I think DD is a good back, WHEN HE IS HEALTHY.

The problem is obveously the offensive line. Thats what it all comes down to.

Until they address this, not much else matters.

Carr can be the starting quarterback on any team. He has proved he can do it when they play against teams with an incredibly poor pass rush. I'm glad they are giving him another chance, but at the same time if they arn't going to fix that line, he might as well have gone and backed someone else up where at least he wouldn't get his ass kicked.

DD is good, and his problems also tie back to the line. Draft Reggie, and let DD go where he can help a team out. Because he does have the ability to change a team that has no answer in the backfield.

I see both sides to this argument, but what is Bush, Young or Carr going to be able to do behind that offensive line.  Houston needs to try and deal Davis for an OL, and Id draft 2 more and try and get one in FA.  Until this is fixed, Bush like Carr and Davis will get killed.

1317871[/snapback]

:D

Dosn't matter who you throw back there. As long as they're there, they are wasting precious time in there otherwise, would be successfull careers.

One consideration here - you know that Kubiak coming from Denver is not going to settle for a sub-standard offensive line. That could pay huge dividends if they could actually give Carr time to throw.

One consideration here - you know that Kubiak coming from Denver is not going to settle for a sub-standard offensive line. That could pay huge dividends if they could actually give Carr time to throw.

1317893[/snapback]

Yes, they have tried new offensive linemen without much success. A new system may pay dividends. Playing Dom and Reggie both may also pay dividends.

The problem is obveously the offensive line. Thats what it all comes down to.

Until they address this, not much else matters.

1317868[/snapback]

The Texans should grab Ferguson out of Virginia. He is a beast!!!

The Texans should grab Ferguson out of Virginia. He is a beast!!!

1318048[/snapback]

I agree Chargerz. The skinny on him though is that he's a great pass blocker but not much of a run blocker. So it would be an advantage to Carr but not so much to Dom or Reggie (or whoever is running the ball). I'm sure with the right coaching and some time in the weight room that can be taken care of though. I can't remember if I read that here or off some other site.

I'm sure with the right coaching and some time in the weight room that can be taken care of though.  I can't remember if I read that here or off some other site.

1318097[/snapback]

I have been saying this forever now, Ferguson sucks at run blocking.  UVA never even tried running to his side on big plays.  He's not physically strong either.  I have a personal friend of mine that has started at the other tackle position at UVA for 4 years and this guy has verified to me that D'Brick needs to hit the weights.  He's extremely athletic and has great footwork and technique but he's never gonna mandhandle anyone.  Please look at the tapes of the FSU or Va Tech games for proof.

1290048[/snapback]

But see, that is the whole point.  Strength is something that can be improved rather easily, whereas technique, footwork, and athletic ability are more of the things that are harder to teach.

1290346[/snapback]

I agree Chargerz.  The skinny on him though is that he's a great pass blocker but not much of a run blocker.  So it would be an advantage to Carr but not so much to Dom or Reggie (or whoever is running the ball).  I'm sure with the right coaching and some time in the weight room that can be taken care of though.  I can't remember if I read that here or off some other site.

1318097[/snapback]

I realize that hitting the weights and increasing his strength can be added, but does he lose any technique and footwork he has with a bigger frame that he has not been used to?

I realize that hitting the weights and increasing his strength can be added, but does he lose any technique and footwork he has with a bigger frame that he has not been used to?

1318199[/snapback]

Hmmm...don't know for sure. I would think the trainers would monitor that. By adding more muscle to his frame he would be adding good wieght and decreasing his bad wieght (fat). Actually making him quicker on his feet. I'm no trainer though...I guess it depends on a lot of different variables. :D

I don't see this as a guarentee that they draft Bush, it would not suprise me at all to see them trade this pick, I do think they needed to keep Carr, but like most on here I think they need help on their line more than anything else. a better scheme can go a long way into making a offensive line look better, but I do not think a new scheme can even help this line they have now.

I don't see this as a guarentee that they draft Bush, it would not suprise me at all to see them trade this pick, I do think they needed to keep Carr, but like most on here I think they need help on their line more than anything else. a better scheme can go a long way into making a offensive line look better, but I do not think a new scheme can even help this line they have now.

1318258[/snapback]

I agree with most of what you're saying. It would take a lot of nads to deal the pick though.

Keeping Carr is definitely the way to go as far as QB. They're obviously going for Bush, but you gotta figure that between Kubiak and Reeves there'll be a definite effort to beef up both lines. We know Carr can take a beating, but who knows about Bush. There's a slight difference between taking hits from Pac-10 defenders and getting crushed by Henderson, Stroud, Sanders, Bulluck, etc. twice a season.