[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Oaklan's Coaching Fiasco

kpholmes

http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders/ci_3494634

Every Raider fan's dream looking better and better by the day. Unless Al has a brain lapse and decides to bring in Fassel, I tihnk it is looking good for the Raider Nation. Art is a guy who could turn this franchise around, and knows how to play Al Davis' game.

Then again, Davis could do something dumb and hire a coach no one has heard of or approves of out of the blue. It wouldn't be the first time... :D

Why is hiring Art Shell a good thing? I honestly am not familiar with what he did in Oakland the first time around, not trying to be sarcastic. It doesn't look good though that Petrino declined THREE times and Whisenhunt (sp?) would rather stay a coordinator then become Oakland's HC.

Why is hiring Art Shell a good thing? I honestly am not familiar with what he did in Oakland the first time around, not trying to be sarcastic.  It doesn't look good though that Petrino declined THREE times and Whisenhunt (sp?) would rather stay a coordinator then become Oakland's HC.

1318663[/snapback]

The thing is no one wants to take the job as an owner's man servant. Which is what everyone who works for Al Davis becomes. They do everything he says.

The successfull coaches to work under Al Davis are the ones who learn to play his game, to work around him and play him and still make their own decisions concerning the team, and win. Madden, Gruden and Art Shell are the best examples of the people who mastered this.

Norv Turner and Bill Callahan had no idea how to work with Davis. They bent over and took it from him and did what he said, then when the team went down, he had them take the bullet and blamed it on them. That dosn't happen when you have Art Shell coaching the team. Shell gets the job done, and ignores the politics that Davis drags into it.

The issue is Al Davis. Every Raider fan knows it. But we can't do anything about it. However if Davis hires someone who goes around him, that works for us until he sells the team (which will never happen) or dies.

Davis fired Shell after he lost an AFC Championship game. To this day that is one of the very few mistakes Al Davis will admit to making. Which means something in Oakland.

Edited by kpholmes

If I remember correctly Shell was a classic example of prevent offense. Get a lead, go conservative and let the other team back in. He is probably the Raiders best remaining chioce at this time. Hopefully he has learned a thing or two, especially with this offensive minded division.

Shell is a excellent motivational coach, and being that there is nothing the Raiders need more than motivation I think he is perfect for this job. Now if I wanted a coach that I planned on keeping for more than 3 years I would go with Fassell(or however his name is spelled), he is a smarter x's and o's man. but since whoever they get won't last no longer than 3 years I would go with Shell.I think he can get them headed in the right direction quicker.

Al is having a harder and harder time finding a coach. It's called Al's Puppet Regime. Not many guys willing to take the job knowing Al's hand will be firmly planted up their keester. Most head coaches like to call their own shots, and that is not an option in Oakland.

He is lucky if he can find any qualified candidates willing to coach under those conditions.

The thing is no one wants to take the job as an owner's man servant. Which is what everyone who works for Al Davis becomes. They do everything he says.

The successfull coaches to work under Al Davis are the ones who learn to play his game, to work around him and play him and still make their own decisions concerning the team, and win. Madden, Gruden and Art Shell are the best examples of the people who mastered this.

1318682[/snapback]

I agree with you on every word, except you make the same mistake every non-Raider fan makes and it drives me crazy.

You excluded Tom Flores, the man who won 2 Superbowls in 4 years in the 80's.

Just an odd story to me. Thought it was weird when he was fired, and became even worse when nobody else would hire him. Tell ya what, Art Shell must really love coaching if he's willing to go back to the hand that did that to him.

Just an odd story to me.  Thought it was weird when he was fired, and became even worse when nobody else would hire him.  Tell ya what, Art Shell must really love coaching if he's willing to go back to the hand that did that to him.

1320299[/snapback]

Al fired him, he didn't blacklist him. He was an assistant coach in 2 other teams, one went to a Superbowl. Al long ago apologized and publicly said he made a mistake, and Al admitting he made a mistake is like he publicly admitted he murdered his brother.

What Oakland needs is a LEADER! They need to find a guy like Gruden again, someone who had passion in his nut sack!

No more Bill Callahans, Norv Turners, Mike Martzs...

I will admit that Art Shell was before my time as an NFL fan in general. So I can't speak too much on him. But based on his past record not only with the team but with Al Davis, hopefully he can bring some spark back to that franchise.

Everyone who said that they need to rebuild is bang on. Enough with bringing in everyone else's problems. Let's get some good young talent (with more than just speed ala Fabian Washington).

What Oakland needs is a LEADER! They need to find a guy like Gruden again, someone who had passion in his nut sack!

No more Bill Callahans, Norv Turners, Mike Martzs...

I will admit that Art Shell was before my time as an NFL fan in general. So I can't speak too much on him. But based on his past record not only with the team but with Al Davis, hopefully he can bring some spark back to that franchise.

Everyone who said that they need to rebuild is bang on. Enough with bringing in everyone else's problems. Let's get some good young talent (with more than just speed ala Fabian Washington).

1320481[/snapback]

For a non Raider fan, or a realitively new one, you have nailed the situation perfectly. And that is the reason all of us long-timer Raider fans have been yelling Art's name for so long is that he IS a leader with a ball sack that players will demand. Or rather, he was. Who knows how he will be 10 years later, but I hated the Norv Turner hire so much and was SO not the right thign for the Raiders that this gives me so much hope.

For a non Raider fan, or a realitively new one, you have nailed the situation perfectly. And that is the reason all of us long-timer Raider fans have been yelling Art's name for so long is that he IS a leader with a ball sack that players will demand. Or rather, he was. Who knows how he will be 10 years later, but I hated the Norv Turner hire so much and was SO not the right thign for the Raiders that this gives me so much hope.

1320717[/snapback]

I've been a Raider fan for the last 5 years. I've read a lot about Art Shell, just wasn't there to see what kind of coach he was. I HAVE however seen Turner and Callahan sit like a lump of turd with no expression their faces, while their teams self destruct. Turner would have been a great hire, as on OFF C.

No disrespect meant, I figured you might be a newer fan as well. I agree that seeing Turners expressionlesws face as the team sh1ts the bed was bad enough in his first season,  a seaqson I had already though was a bad fit for him. 2 years was worse.

1320891[/snapback]

I just watched the interview with Art Shell on Raiders.com. :D

http://www.raiders.com/multimedia/

I'm excited to see who he hires for his staff.

:D

Good posts here.

The Raiders need leaders on and off the field.

Last year Jordan stepped up for the offense, when they were plagued with penalties or plays broke down in games, he stepped up and said "Look guys, we need to get this fixed" and had them stay after practice.

Woodson was supposed to be that leader on defense once along a time, but we all know how that went. I think Kirk Morisson at midway through last year started to step up for that defense, calling the plays at the line and just saying "Look guys, step up and make the play. The offense needs us." and I feel he will definetly push them harder on defense morethan anyone has for a good 5-8 years."

Art Shell is the motivation the Raiders need off the field. He won't take crap, and he will motivate to get out there and want to win.

Edited by kpholmes

I agree with KP Holmes , i think Art may be a good thing for the Raiders and he had success in his first go around with Raiders  :D

1320337[/snapback]

Then why was he let go by them once...?