[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It's Official now

Skrappy1

Shell to return to Raiders as head coachBy John Clayton

ESPN.com

After considering outsiders such as Ken Whisenhunt, Bobby Petrino and Mike Martz, the Raiders went with one of their own and hired Art Shell as their new coach.

Shell will be introduced at 4:30 p.m ET Saturday as the Raiders' new coach. He replaces Norv Turner, who was fired after two seasons and went to the 49ers as offensive coordinator.

In hiring Shell, Raiders boss Al Davis was able to correct a move he said was a mistake more than a decade ago. Davis fired Shell after the 1994 season. Shell, who was 56-41 as the Raiders head coach from 1989 to 1994, will get a chance to right that wrong.

Shell was working for the NFL when he was called by Davis last week to interview for the job. Shell flew to Oakland and interviewed last Thursday. Once Whisenhunt, the Steelers offensive coordinator, decided to stay with the Steelers and informed the Raiders of his intentions Thursday, Davis put in a call to Shell.

Shell, who was in Tampa, Fla., working for the league, got on a flight as soon as possible and made it to the Raiders' offices Friday.

After meeting with Davis most of Friday afternoon, he was offered the job and his agent worked out the contract Friday evening.

Shell, the first black head coach in modern NFL history, becomes the seventh one currently in the league. Of the 10 openings this offseason, the only other black coach hired was Herman Edwards, who was traded from the New York Jets to the Kansas City Chiefs.

Shell had been working as the senior vice president of football operations and development for the NFL.

Oakland has been without a coach since Turner was fired Jan. 3, giving Shell little time to put together a staff and set his offseason priorities before the scouting combine begins Feb. 22.

Davis also interviewed Al Saunders, James Lofton and Rod Marinelli, and he had talks with former St. Louis coach Mike Martz, Oakland quarterbacks coach John Shoop and University of Louisville coach Bobby Petrino.

Saunders decided to take a job running Washington's offense, Marinelli was hired as Detroit's coach, Martz will be the Lions' offensive coordinator next season, and Petrino said he wants to stay at Louisville.

Shell made eight Pro Bowls and won two Super Bowls as a standout offensive lineman in a 15-year career with the Raiders that led to his induction into the Hall of Fame. He replaced the fired Mike Shanahan during the 1989 season and lasted through 1994, the team's final season in Los Angeles.

In the end, Davis kept it in the family and hired Shell.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2326498

Most Raider fans, me included, wanted Shell. He was fired wrongly, we all remember that, and he was was onen of the few good ones we have had in the passed 2 decades. Maybe he's lost it, who knows... but his hiring seems right as he knows how to handles Al without doing ONLY what Al says.

I'm happy for Art, he deserved another job when he was let go, but I don't think the NFL was as accepting of hiring a black head coach when he was fired as it is today. That's wrong, but an old white ownership-base is the cause of that.

He was fired wrongly, we all remember that, and he was was one of the few good ones we have had in the past 2 decades. Maybe he's lost it, who knows...

1319707[/snapback]

I truly hope that he hasn't lost it. Always been a Shell fan and it is long overdue for him to be back as a HC.

Don't expect miracles though.... it will take some time to right all the wrongs with the Raiders.

I truly hope that he hasn't lost it. Always been a Shell fan and it is long overdue for him to be back as a HC.

Don't expect miracles though.... it will take some time to right all the wrongs with the Raiders.

1319711[/snapback]

Agreed. I think a HUGH part of the Raiders' problems lie in the front office. They need to abandon all these "reclamation projects" and re-build the team with some youth. Leave all the Sapp's and Moss' to somebody else and get some fresh blood in there. I've always liked Shell. I think it's just the thing the Raiders need. Oh, and maybe a new owner.

Really?  Moss?  Is he not liked much in Oakland?

1319735[/snapback]

No, not at all. But he does take a large part of your cap space, he's a prima donna and his heart has been questioned on more than one occasion. The Raiders have been gathering other peoples' problems for years. Maybe it's time to try a new approach.

No, not at all. But he does take a large part of your cap space, he's a prima donna and his heart has been questioned on more than one occasion. The Raiders have been gathering other peoples' problems for years. Maybe it's time to try a new approach.

1319755[/snapback]

Agreed.

Does this mean there's hope for Wayne Fontes returning to the Lions in the future?

1319775[/snapback]

Nice thing about Fontes... when he has a crappy QB, he doesn't hesitate to hesitate.

Looking at the respones of Oakland fans around here, I'm surprised that Shell has been out of a HC job all this time. I'm glad he's getting another shot. He already knows what he's stepping into with Al Davis, and the situation hasn't changed any.

I'm glad for you Oakland fans.

Regarding the minority coaching hiring situation, man, I really really think the NFL has gotten beyond worrying about the skin color of their coaches. I know the top tier guys with rings: Parcells, Bellicheck, Holmgren, Chin, and Skeletor are white.

The next group down, the younger guys that look top shelf but haven't won a ring yet to validate their status among the elite, that group is full of minority candidates with lots of promise. Things are changing rapidly, I don't think anybody needs to worry about their skin to get a job anymore. And the lower tier of coaching jobs, coordinators and position coaches are all chock full of minorities as well.

Warren Moon made the HoF this year, between him and Randall Cunningham (and others) they broke down the racial barrier at QB so that guys like Vick, McNair, McNabb etc all don't have to worry about what guys like Jimmy the Greek think.

It seems odd that no-one else has tried to pry him away and back into coaching.  Maybe they have and the Raiders were the only team he wanted to coach?  :D

1319961[/snapback]

Always felt it was odd that someone didn't grab him right after he was let go. Guy proved he was a good HC.

Don't know if anyone tried to get him or not. He did do a couple of OC jobs, I believe, before joining the league office.

Always felt it was odd that someone didn't grab him right after he was let go. Guy proved he was a good HC.

Don't know if anyone tried to get him or not. He did do a couple of OC jobs, I believe, before joining the league office.

1319971[/snapback]

If you'll excuse the sort of pun, it was like Shell disappeared into a black hole. Given the amount of HC vacancies that come up every year, his name never seemed to surface at all, while nonentity after nonentity was employed. I don't believe it was a color issue.

If you'll excuse the sort of pun, it was like Shell disappeared into a black hole.  Given the amount of HC vacancies that come up every year, his name never seemed to surface at all, while nonentity after nonentity was employed.  I don't believe it was a color issue.

1319996[/snapback]

I don't believe it was an issue either.

May be that he just didn't throw his name in the hat like you said.