[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

No Guards have ever been franchised

Seahawks21

Heard on local sportsradio kjr 950 that if you franchise a guard, you have to pay him the average salary of the top five offensive linemen (tackles) rather than only the top 5 guards.

This information could make things pretty interesting for the Seahawks. Do they have the money long term to give him a big contract for a guard? Do they rather just say f' it, eat a couple extra million for a year and franchise him anyway? I love Hutch, but thats a lot of money to pay a guard, and we kinda have another guy we're trying to sign who might take a little bit of the pie.

I really believe their decision will ultimately come down to how confident the franchise is in their young defense. We're gonna lose Bernard and possibly Manuel. Is the front seven good enough or do we need money to upgrade it?? Depth at both corner and safety are issues as well. If the Seahawks believe they don't have many holes to fill, I think they'll be able to find a way to keep Shaun and Hutch. I love the youngsters, but I'm paranoid about our overall talent on defense. Ehhhhhh.

Heard on local sportsradio kjr 950 that if you franchise a guard, you have to pay him the average salary of the top five offensive linemen (tackles) rather than only the top 5 guards.

1320652[/snapback]

Really? Wow. I did not know that. That would make him one expensive guard. I wouldn't do it. I'd rather keep SA and Jones and take my chances rather than have two of the highest paid offensive linemen and no proven RB. But that's just me.

This information could make things pretty interesting for the Seahawks.  Do they have the money long term to give him a big contract for a guard?  Do they rather just say f' it, eat a couple extra million for a year and franchise him anyway?  I love Hutch, but thats a lot of money to pay a guard, and we kinda have another guy we're trying to sign who might take a little bit of the pie.

I really believe their decision will ultimately come down to how confident the franchise is in their young defense.  We're gonna lose Bernard and possibly Manuel.  Is the front seven good enough or do we need money to upgrade it??  Depth at both corner and safety are issues as well.  If the Seahawks believe they don't have many holes to fill, I think they'll be able to find a way to keep Shaun and Hutch.  I love the youngsters, but I'm paranoid about our overall talent on defense.    Ehhhhhh.

1320652[/snapback]

It won't even come to that. He's a very young pro bowl lineman, they won't even play around with it. He'll sign long term.

With regards to your defensive concerns, I agree that it needs work, particularly with depth in the secondary. I have faith though that Ruskell can fill any holes with solid journeyman vets. Keep in mind Hamlin should be back, & last year we were all wondering "who the heck is Marquand Manuel?".

Edited by Bonehand

It won't even come to that. He's a very young pro bowl lineman, they won't even play around with it. He'll sign long term.

With regards to your defensive concerns, I agree that it needs work, particularly with depth in the secondary. I have faith though that Ruskell can fill any holes with solid journeyman vets. Keep in mind Hamlin should be back, & last year we were all wondering "who the heck is Marquand Manuel?".

1320892[/snapback]

I know in best-case the Hawks would love to sign Hutch long-term, but do they have the money to give both him and Shaun new long term deals a year after giving lots of money to Walter and Hass?? They gotta run out of money sooner or later

While Hamlin is supposed to be back, there is still enough doubt to warrant resigning Manuel. Heck, he played so well I would try to resign him even if Hamlin is 100%. We can't afford to find out in, well, the super bowl, that we don't have enough depth at safety.

I know in best-case the Hawks would love to sign Hutch long-term, but do they have the money to give both him and Shaun new long term deals a year after giving lots of money to Walter and Hass??  They gotta run out of money sooner or later

1321038[/snapback]

Actually, Last I heard from John Clayton on KJR a few weeks back, the Hawks were in pretty healthy cap position, as a result of getting rid of the big contracts of Brown, Simmons, etc before last season. It looks like they should have enough room to do whatever they need to do.

Actually, Last I heard from John Clayton on KJR a few weeks back, the Hawks were in pretty healthy cap position, as a result of getting rid of the big contracts of Brown, Simmons, etc before last season. It looks like they should have enough room to do whatever they need to do.

1321056[/snapback]

Salary cap space.

$21 million under the cap? Hawks are looking good...

1321076[/snapback]

I think they'll sign SAlex and Hutch. Why would they leave? X-mill from Seattle and a chance to win a SB, or X-mill plus more money that you don't need and no chance of winning anything as you sign in nowhereville. They'll come back to a sweet situation to take another run at the trophy ...

$21 million under the cap? Hawks are looking good...

1321076[/snapback]

I don't think 21 million minus Shaun (10) and Hutch (5+) is all that great of a cap situation for this upcoming season, but worse could handcuff the Hawks cap situation for the next several years if something goes wrong.

My personal belief is that Shaun has played himself off of the Seahawks. Somebody is going to offer him LT money or more. In the end I don't think the Seahawks final offer will be enough to keep him around. If Shaun leaves, it would leave money for Hutch and a RB plus defensive help. I think you ultimately have to believe you have a good enough system to be able to replace him while continuing to move forward.

I don't think 21 million minus Shaun (10) and Hutch (5+) is all that great of a cap situation for this upcoming season....

1321274[/snapback]

Where do you get $10 mil against the cap for SA? They can't franchise him per last seasons agreement, so any signing would be long term, in which case both the signing bonus & salary would be spread out over the life of the contract. No way they get anywhere close $10 mil for him against the cap.

But I guess I should be used to your ridiculously negative sky-is-falling spins by now. :D

Edited by Bonehand

But I guess I should be used to your ridiculously negative sky-is-falling spins by now. :D

1321457[/snapback]

I was thinking the same thing....Seems like coming off a conference championship, only having a few free agents to worry about, and having one of the best salary cap situations in the NFL would be a good thing.

I was thinking the same thing....Seems like coming off a conference championship, only having a few free agents to worry about, and having one of the best salary cap situations in the NFL would be a good thing.

1321473[/snapback]

I don't think he was being negative as much as saying that they might be better letting him go and spending the money elsewhere(basically get more for the bucks). I agree with that.

I don't think he was being negative as much as saying that they might be better letting him go and spending the money elsewhere(basically get more for the bucks). I agree with that.

1321477[/snapback]

I tend to agree, but SA and Hutchinson together aren't going to take away 75% of your cap space.

Edit to add: Seahawk 21 is one of the most pessimistic homers I've ever read, in a town where pessimism as a sports fan rules supreme. :D

Edited by bushwacked

Edit to add:  Seahawk 21 is one of the most pessimistic homers I've ever read, in a town where pessimism as a sports fan rules supreme.   :D

1321480[/snapback]

Exactly. I mean no disrespect to my fellow stalwart Seahawks fan when I say this, but with Seahawks21, not only is the glass half-empty, someone has probably whizzed in it to boot. :D

Edited by Bonehand

How much did LT and Portis cost against the cap this season? I had been told LT was double figures, too lazy to check but anyways we're not talking about 6 or 7 million with these guys anymore. Heard on local radio today that franchising Hutch would up towards 7 million. I do think you can relieve some stress by signing him long term.

I know it can be done. My whole thinking is that the Seahawks have recently given multi-year, good-money deals to Jackson, Jones, Hasselbeck, Wistrom and Sharper(B.Taylor?)...and the money has got to run low at some point. I can't see how you can give big contracts to Shaun and Hutch and still have money to fill holes down the road. I mean I hope they can sign the world, sorry if mentioning a small thing like the salary cap makes me come off as an eternal pessimist.

I can't see how you can give big contracts to Shaun and Hutch and still have money to fill holes down the road.  I mean I hope they can sign the world, sorry if mentioning a small thing like the salary cap makes me come off as an eternal pessimist.

1322889[/snapback]

Even if that is true, I'm not sure now is the time to worry about filling holes down the road. It seems as though the cap situation goes from crap to wonderful and vice versa in the matter of a few seasons anyway.

Even if that is true, I'm not sure now is the time to worry about filling holes down the road.  It seems as though the cap situation goes from crap to wonderful and vice versa in the matter of a few seasons anyway.

1323194[/snapback]

I really trust that Ruskell & Reinfeld are canny enough to get everything done. On some level, '21 is right, the 'Hawks absolutely COULD pay Alexander & Hutch too much, I'm simply saying they are too smart to do that. To get everything done that they need to this offseason, they will need to stretch that cap space as far as possible, and that can't be done by franchising players and taking the highest possible cap hit, or paying huge signing bonuses on short term contracts.

My personal belief is that Shaun has played himself off of the Seahawks. 

1321274[/snapback]

I'll trade you the Cardnals roster for the Hawks straight up. :D

Lighten up man. Your team is looking great and could hve won the SB, but you are freaking out.

The cap number could very well go up. Relax.

1321473[/snapback]

I agree. The Steelers have quite a few free agents to deal with, none the level of Hutch or Alexander, but the Steelers are 23rd and -5 on the cap:

23 Pittsburgh Steelers $-4 M

The Steelers cap condition is not as bad as it appears. For example, all indications are that Jerome Bettis will be calling it quits at the end of this season. The Bus is scheduled to make a little over $5.35 M in base salary alone in 2006.

Seattle appears to be in darn good shape right now.

I agree.  The Steelers .........

1323576[/snapback]

:D This thread isn't about the Steelers.

The 'Hawks are in great position when it comes to the cap. However, has anyone really taken a good look at the people they need to sign?

Some of the are:

Bernard

Strong

Morris

In addition to Hutch..Alexander....

Don't see them keeping all the ones they need to sign AND signing Hutch and Alexander, let alone signing Hutch and an above average FA RB. The really good FA RB's are going to want as much as Alexander wants or close to it.

I think they can get most of that team back but there are going to be some going elsewhere. And since everyone believes that you can just plug any ol' RB hanging out on First Ave in downtown Seattle into that system, I see Alexander not being signed.