[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

No Guards have ever been franchised

Seahawks21

Few points to make. The Seahawks have many more needs than Shaun and Hutch. They need to make decisions on Jurvy and Manuel as well as Rocky and the rest. The Seahawks also found out this year that Dyson probably isn't the answer at corner. We're going to need to sign a DT to replace Bernard and some kind of kick returner would be nice (P-Dub is a free-agent).

I also disagree with whoever made the point that the cap goes from good to crappy and visa versa. It seems to me that the Seahawks and just about everybody else have been attempting to use the model given by Philly, who perenially has one of the best cap #s every year while maintaining success on the field. I don't think the Seahawks want to blow their wad here and have very limited resources to get better in the future. This is what I meant by their signings having a negative impact in the future. It would handcuff them to this group of players leaving little flexibility or potential to add talent.

Sometimes it pays to live in Seattle. While 21 million had been widely reported, John Clayton came on local sportsradio today to correct the reports and to say that the Seahawks official number right now under the cap is 15.3 million, not 21. Furthermore, he explained that the number Hutch would have to make if franchised was 6.98 million!!!! Oh wait, there's more!!! LT2's contract has a cap hit of 8 million for each of the first three years, which is rumored to be Shaun's target number. Now....i'm not the brightest star in the sky but I always thought that 8 plus 6.98 equaled somewhere around 14.98. So we're going to fill all our holes and get better with the roughly $300,000 dollars we'll have left over??? I know these numbers change and things get re-negotiated, but this decision could be a lot more difficult than most people are making it sound.

Edited by Seahawks21

Few points to make.  The Seahawks have many more needs than Shaun and Hutch.  They need to make decisions on Jurvy and Manuel as well as Rocky and the rest.  The Seahawks also found out this year that Dyson probably isn't the answer at corner.  We're going to need to sign a DT to replace Bernard and some kind of kick returner would be nice (P-Dub is a free-agent). 

I also disagree with whoever made the point that the cap goes from good to crappy and visa versa.  It seems to me that the Seahawks and just about everybody else have been attempting to use the model given by Philly, who perenially has one of the best cap #s every year while maintaining success on the field.  I don't think the Seahawks want to blow their wad here and have very limited resources to get better in the future.  This is what I meant by their signings having a negative impact in the future.  It would handcuff them to this group of players leaving little flexibility or potential to add talent. 

Sometimes it pays to live in Seattle.  While 21 million had been widely reported, John Clayton came on local sportsradio today to correct the reports and to say that the Seahawks official number right now under the cap is 15.3 million, not 21.  Furthermore, he explained that the number Hutch would have to make if franchised was 6.98 million!!!!  Oh wait, there's more!!!    LT2's contract has a cap hit of 8 million for each of the first three years, which is rumored to be Shaun's target number.  Now....i'm not the brightest star in the sky but I always thought that 8 plus 6.98 equaled somewhere around 14.98.  So we're going to fill all our holes and get better with the roughly $300,000 dollars we'll have left over???  I know these numbers change and things get re-negotiated, but this decision could be a lot more difficult than most people are making it sound.

1324867[/snapback]

Good read. I would not be signing Alexander for 8 Mill. let someone else do it. sign Hutch and go after a DT. fill in the holes afterwards the best you can. with the O-line the Seahawks have you will have another star RB next year (whoever is the lucky SOB to play there.)

Sometimes it pays to live in Seattle.  While 21 million had been widely reported, John Clayton came on local sportsradio today to correct the reports and to say that the Seahawks official number right now under the cap is 15.3 million, not 21.  Furthermore, he explained that the number Hutch would have to make if franchised was 6.98 million!!!!  Oh wait, there's more!!!    LT2's contract has a cap hit of 8 million for each of the first three years, which is rumored to be Shaun's target number.  Now....i'm not the brightest star in the sky but I always thought that 8 plus 6.98 equaled somewhere around 14.98.  So we're going to fill all our holes and get better with the roughly $300,000 dollars we'll have left over???  I know these numbers change and things get re-negotiated, but this decision could be a lot more difficult than most people are making it sound.

1324867[/snapback]

Your read is correct, but like I said, you are taking everything worse possible scenario here. Why would you franchise Hutch, and take the max possible cap hit? You wouldn't, you would sign him to a long term deal with a nice bonus, and have him hit around $4.0 against the cap. Likewise with SA, on KJR this morning they laid out a scenario pretty much how I described, With SA signing a 5 year, $51 mil deal, incuding a $17 mil bonus, that would have him only coming in at $5.5 for year one. That's the 2 for a total of less than $10, a pretty big variance from your $15 mil.

Ruskell & Reinfeldt will work out the deals to get the most bang for their buck, cap-wise. Might they lose a few guys, such as Bernard or JJ? Of course, it would be foolish to think they will sign everyone, as these are good players, & a few of them will probably get crazy money thrown at them. But whoever they lose, I believe they will fill those spots with other well-scouted journeyman, and roll on we shall.

Okay so now all our good players have these backloaded contracts that are gonna come around at the same time. Beautiful. But you know what, if it were me, I probably go for it. I probably do what I can to win now, sign em both, deal with it later. We're so close!!!!---- However, I am not sure this would be the model the Seahawks and Ruskell would like to follow. Maybe they don't have a choice.