[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Crock Pot Brands?

rocknrobn26

I will say that one should avoid the crock pots with the digital timers/on-off buttons. If you get a power blink (i.e., you lose power for a couple of seconds), your crock pot will be shut off and not come back on. This happened came to a friend of my wife's. She came home from work and found a crockpot full of raw food.

We have the old fashioned crock pot. power goes out and then comes back on--so does the crockpot.

just fired up an oval Rival crock........wal-mart special.... been goin for a year, the oval gives you more room to move stuff around, bigger chunks of meat fit better, but i'm no expert, just took the day off !!!!!!!!

1322082[/snapback]

I have the same crock pot along with 2 4qt round rival's. They all work great and I love making chili in the oval as you have plenty of room for everything you want to add and it will feed plenty of people as well.

just fired up an oval Rival crock........wal-mart special.... been goin for a year, the oval gives you more room to move stuff around, bigger chunks of meat fit better, but i'm no expert, just took the day off !!!!!!!!

1322082[/snapback]

I got a 4.5 Qt oval Rival in stainless steel for like 17.00 bucks on sale at Fry's a few month's back, and it even came with a mini crock thing for fondue. It's worked great so far for pot roasts & the like, & you can't beat the price.

I will say that one should avoid the crock pots with the digital timers/on-off buttons.  If you get a power blink (i.e., you lose power for a couple of seconds), your crock pot will be shut off and not come back on.  This happened came to a friend of my wife's.  She came home from work and found a crockpot full of raw food.

We have the old fashioned crock pot.  power goes out and then comes back on--so does the crockpot.

1323342[/snapback]

Good advice here.

I would recommend buying the biggest one you can find. That extra capacity always comes in handy.

I will say that one should avoid the crock pots with the digital timers/on-off buttons.  If you get a power blink (i.e., you lose power for a couple of seconds), your crock pot will be shut off and not come back on.  This happened came to a friend of my wife's.  She came home from work and found a crockpot full of raw food.

We have the old fashioned crock pot.  power goes out and then comes back on--so does the crockpot.

1323342[/snapback]

Or you can put it on a battery back-up. :D

• 2 weeks later...

The one I have must be a Rival. It was a wedding present. Has the removable ceramic type insides. It's 18 1/2 years old. I was just thinking I might retire it, as it is now an extra slow cooker. :D

Good point on the cookers with the digital on/off. It would be awful to come home to...nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

We have several Rival pots and I like the ceramic posts better than the coated metal types we also have. I only use the metal ones when doing whole chicken and veggies - they put a nice brown on the bottom because they get hotter than the ceramic.

My wife just bought the All-Clad Stainless Stell Slow Cooker from Williams-Sonoma.  She loves it, but it's a bit expensive ($100).

I noticed that some of the Rival's have been recalled:

http://www.rivalrecall.com

Good Luck!

1322113[/snapback]

thanks for the heads up, I have one of these and am sending it back for a replacement base. Seems the handles of the base can fall off....nice. Mine are starting to crack already I have noticed. :D