[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tamba Hali Evaluation

Guest Sores

Tamba Hali, defensive end, Penn State

Dick Corrick, an NFL scout for 30 years, reports on Tamba Hali, a 6-2, 267-pound defensive end from Penn State:

"I really like this guy. He really makes the offensive tackles work. He plays with a big motor. Just a little background: He's not a U.S. citizen yet. He's from Liberia. Most of the time, he's the left defensive end. At other times, he'll move to the right defensive end. But he'll play in a right- or left-hand stance depending on which side of the defense he is on. He always keeps the outside arm free, so the inside hand is down. He has initial quickness. He really has up-field quickness. He uses his hands well. He was the Big Ten defensive lineman of the year with 11 sacks. He comes off the ball with good body lean and he doesn't lead with his chest. He'll run in long pursuit. He has good change of direction. He can go up-field, then make the inside move, power through and flush the quarterback. He'll drop in zone coverage in the blitz. He has to be accounted for on every down. If you're going to block down and leave him free because the play is going away from him, he'll run the play down from behind. He can strike and neutralize blockers. He can shed and make the play. He has effective hand use on the pass rush. And he has some shake-and-bake to him on the way to the quarterback. He plays both the run and pass very well. I'd say he's second to Mario Williams. He has a better motor than Williams, but I'd say Williams has more natural ability."

Saw him play only once this year. He was a machine out there. Unbelieveable motor. Never quit until the whistle blows. I don't see him at #5, but if the Pack were to trade down for additional picks, I wouldn't be disappointed to see him as part of the haul.

No thanks. Dude is SLOOOOOWWW. He ran a 5.0-second 40 last year.

1323128[/snapback]

I remember another guy everyone said was too slow, Chris Spielman, but he had an unbelievable motor. I'll take the motor with a 4.75 guy, or even 5.0, over any guy with 4.5 or 4.6 speed with no motor or 1/2 a heart.

Edited by Chief

I remember another guy everyone said was too slow, Chris Spielman, but he had an unbelievable motor.  I'll take the motor with a 4.75 guy, or even 5.0, or any guy with 4.5 or 4.6 speed with no motor or 1/2 a heart.

1323225[/snapback]

The reviews I have read on him seem to come up with the name Merriman most often for comparison. Albeit usually preceded by "shorter".

No thanks. Dude is SLOOOOOWWW. He ran a 5.0-second 40 last year.

1323128[/snapback]

You have no idea what you are talking about. As a PSU Alum who tries to watch the Nits play as much as possible, this guy is terrific!!! He is coached by Larry Johnson, Sr. (LJs dad) who has helped many other great DL players make the pros. He plays 110% in each play and simply put, he makes plays!

I would be very surprised to see him drop below #15 in first round of the draft and someone will be very happy to land him for their team. :D

You have no idea what you are talking about.  As a PSU Alum who tries to watch the Nits play as much as possible, this guy is terrific!!!  He is coached by Larry Johnson, Sr. (LJs dad) who has helped many other great DL players make the pros.  He plays 110% in each play and simply put, he makes plays!

I would be very surprised to see him drop below #15 in first round of the draft and someone will be very happy to land him for their team.  :D

1323352[/snapback]

I didn't see him that much but he was impresive. I still like Mario but if they get enough compensation wouldn't mind having him.

Well, I am close to as much of a Nittany Lion maniac as I am a Steeler maniac. I watched every game that Tamba played in during his carreer at PSU, and whatever team ends up with him is going to be extremely pleased. He plays with a high motor, and seems to play with a lot of heart. I've watched him and he never give up on a play EVER. In college, he was almost impossible to block one on one, and his athleticsm is downright impressive for a big man. I look for BIG things from him at the next level.

Well, I am close to as much of a Nittany Lion maniac as I am a Steeler maniac.  I watched every game that Tamba played in during his carreer at PSU, and whatever team ends up with him is going to be extremely pleased.  He plays with a high motor, and seems to play with a lot of heart.  I've watched him and he never give up on a play EVER.  In college, he was almost impossible to block one on one, and his athleticsm is downright impressive for a big man.  I look for BIG things from him at the next level.

1323521[/snapback]

I've seen more than a few mock drafts showing him going to the Ravens :D

God Knows we could use him.

I've seen more than a few mock drafts showing him going to the Ravens  :D

God Knows we could use him.

1323531[/snapback]

:D That would hurt. I love Tamba. He is a great guy. He wouldn't look right in purple and playing with those criminals. :D

:D  That would hurt.  I love Tamba.  He is a great guy.  He wouldn't look right in purple and playing with those criminals.  :D

1323539[/snapback]

Hey, I am a HUGH Notre Dame fan (Penn State also, BTW)...how do you think I felt watching the Bus play for Da Steelas? :D

Not sure where you heard that...

4.75   Rated #2 of all DE

1323193[/snapback]

None of those times are official. My "source" is official, but I'm probably not supposed to have it so...let's just say most players run 40s for NFL scouts between their junior and senior seasons. Two of the times that I remembered most: A.J. Hawk ran a 4.53, Tamba Hali ran a 5.00.

That doesn't necessarily mean Hali won't be a good pro, of course, but combined with his marginal height, it's too much of a red flag for me. :D

EDIT: Hawk ran a 4.53, not a 4.43 -- purely a typo.

Edited by Swiss Cheezhead

Anybody remember what Lee Suggs ran?? 4.9 I believe?? Does anybody who has watched him play think still think he is slow? Some of these bigger guys just simply aren't good at running 40's. My best childhood buddy (PSU Alum) always just raved about the guy. I finally watched, then kept watching, and from my watching I can promise you one thing....Tamba Hali is not slow. Man I hope he runs a 5.2 and everybody passes on him. Slide baby slide!!!

None of those times are official. My "source" is official, but I'm probably not supposed to have it so...let's just say most players run 40s for NFL scouts between their junior and senior seasons. Two of the times that I remembered most: A.J. Hawk ran a 4.43, Tamba Hali ran a 5.00.

That doesn't necessarily mean Hali won't be a good pro, of course, but combined with his marginal height, it's too much of a red flag for me. :D

1324290[/snapback]

What makes a time official? Your secret source? I trust the multiple listings of times more....

What makes a time official?  Your secret source?  I trust the multiple listings of times more....

1324999[/snapback]

Basically, times are official when scouts record them. Those records are given to NFL teams. You'd be surprised how many heights, weights, and 40-times reported on those draft websites are way off base.

You can trust what you want; we'll see how fast Hali runs at the combine.

• 1 month later...
Guest Sores
Basically, times are official when scouts record them. Those records are given to NFL teams. You'd be surprised how many heights, weights, and 40-times reported on those draft websites are way off base.

You can trust what you want; we'll see how fast Hali runs at the combine.

1325215[/snapback]

Just an FYI. Tamba ran a 4.8 twice at Penn State's pro day.

I'd rather have a player that has heart, never let's up and has a motor over a player who is alot faster and relies on that to get by...

a player like umm...Freeney...he has great speed...but he's like the derick Zoolander of DE's...he has only one move and relies on the speed solely....the spin...

if a tackle is ready for the spin and stops it...he's pretty much ineffective that play...

None of those times are official. My "source" is official, but I'm probably not supposed to have it so...let's just say most players run 40s for NFL scouts between their junior and senior seasons. Two of the times that I remembered most: A.J. Hawk ran a 4.53, Tamba Hali ran a 5.00.

EDIT: Hawk ran a 4.53, not a 4.43 -- purely a typo.

1324290[/snapback]

Look at some game tape instead of just stats on a sheet. Tamba Hali will excell at the pro level.