[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A question about the oline

Duchess Jack

Is a right tackle as important to a left handed QB as left tackle is to a right handed QB?

Is their any correlation between handedness and the side of a line a guy plays? I know guys switch around but is it easier for somebody who is left handed to play on one side of the line where a right hander might find the other side easier?

The answer to the first question is yes. That is the blind side tackle.

As for part two, I think it depends on the player.

1324200[/snapback]

So a team with a left handed QB can arguably spend less on the oline (with left tackles fetching a higher price than right tackles), right?

So a team with a left handed QB can arguably spend less on the oline (with left tackles fetching a higher price than right tackles), right?

1324205[/snapback]

Not really..... you still need to have a very effective pass blocker, as most RT's tend to be the bigger, better run blocking types. (unless we're talking about a team that uses a zone blocking scheme, different topic).

The majority of teams generally use their premier padd rushing DE on the LT's side, but there are also many exceptions to that, like J. Peppers. The blind side tackle has to be able to protect.... or it's sacks, fumbles and getting your QB rocked. I don't think it makes too much difference, in terms of how much a team has to pay for a good pass protection O line.

Some LT's aren't as good on the right side, so some teams do get reluctant to use lefty QB's.

The answer to the first question is yes. That is the blind side tackle.

As for part two, I think it depends on the player.

1324200[/snapback]

Not altogether true, as the strong side of the offense and defense tends to stay on the same side, whether a QB is southpaw or not.

However, as Rovers points out, the blindside of a left-handed QB is towards the RT, which requires that player to be a superb pass blocker.

Some LT's aren't as good on the right side, so some teams do get reluctant to use lefty QB's.

1324239[/snapback]

I'm not sure if Rovers is suggesting that a team which switches from a righthand QB to a lefthanded QB would also flip their tackles or not.

I can tell you that playing LT and RT are very different positions to play for an offensive lineman. The footwork is entirely opposite. Most RT's or LT's who have played those positions their entire lives can't convert to the other side and vice-versa.

Edited by General Itals

1324205[/snapback]

hmm, interesting. may or may not be true. i suppose if you wanted to know you, or someone else, could compare the salaries of the 10 highest paid LTs and 10 highest paid RTs. :D

Not altogether true, as the strong side of the offense and defense tends to stay on the same side, whether a QB is southpaw or not.

However, as Rovers points out, the blindside of a left-handed QB is towards the RT, which requires that player to be a superb pass blocker.

I'm not sure if Rovers is suggesting that a team which switches from a righthand QB to a lefthanded QB would also flip their tackles or not. 

I can tell you that playing LT and RT are very different positions to play for an offensive lineman.  The footwork is entirely opposite.  Most RT's or LT's who have played those positions their entire lives can't convert to the other side and vice-versa.

1324585[/snapback]

To be a little more clear on what I was trying to say.... with one caveat.... each team has a different situation, so it's hard to generalise and make across the board statements.

A lot of tackles coming out of college can play either side, but are usually, to one degree or another, better suited to one of the tackle spots. Ferguson, for instance, isn't a very good run blocker.... yet. So, he's stricly an LT at this point. McNeill probably can't pass block well enough to play LT, but some guys like Scott, Winston and Justice could play either side. I would not want a rookie like McNiell protecting my QB's blind side at RT. He is a classic man blocking road grader, excellent at run blocking, but a little too shaky in pass blocking to be my blind side tackle.

Kareem McKenzie is another guy (Giants, RT) I would not want on the blind side tackle spot. Even though McKenzie is a good O lineman, and he isn't a bad pass blocker, I would not want him protecting the QB's blind side against J Peppers. He'd have to get some help from the TE if I was game planning that matchup.

The Jets started second year man Adrian Jones at RT this year, and he struggled.... once he was moved to LT, his "natural position, his play improved. Gallery was a LT in college, but has been at RT since he joined the Raiders, but he is an example of a guy that could play RT for a lefty QB. Some guys can make the switch, some can't. So, whether a team would move the O linemen around is dependent on the players involved, IMO.

If I had a team with a "franchise LT", I'd be more reluctant to get a lefty QB. On the other hand, if I also had a solid pass blocking RT, I'd be somewhat less reluctant. But, I doubt there is much cost difference as far as O linemen go depending on whether or not the QB was a lefty or a righty.

It's not so much the footwork that is a problem from switching sides as much as speed and agility. Your LT has to take on speedy d/ends and l/bs. He needs to be agile and quick out of his stance. That would also go for a r/t pass blocking for a lefty q/b because you'd want to get a rush from the right side. So, Rovers is right, it depends on the player.