[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chicago - Enjoy Randle-El

Menudo

It looks like he clearly wants to go Chicago. This is from another message board, so no link. I don't think the Steelers would be wise to overpay El, but, he will certainly be missed.

Randle El seeks clarity on special role

from the Chicago Tribune

Antwaan Randle El said Tuesday he hopes to make his free-agent decision within the next six weeks. The Bears appear to be in the forefront for the services of the electrifying Pittsburgh Steelers kick returner/wide receiver.

"Certainly my family members want me to come here and play here. Also my friends and those who are involved in marketing and that sort of thing," Randle El said.

The Thornton High School/Indiana University product was in Chicago to visit his CSMG Sports agent, Fletcher Smith, who also represents Donovan McNabb, Randy Johnson and Dwyane Wade.

"I have to make sure I make the decision based on the important things," he said. "If God leads me here to Chicago, I certainly prefer that situation for my family if it is the best situation for me coming in and playing. If this is a team that needs a receiver or a punt returner or what have you … those are the things that are most important."

The signing period for unrestricted veteran free agents begins March 3 and ends July 22 for those who received a June 1 tender from their original team. Randle El does not want his situation to extend beyond next month.

If the Bears have serious intentions of landing him, they will have to show him more than the money.

"The money is not the biggest factor," Randle El said. "Of course there's a business side to it. But you have to make sure what is best for your family. You have to make sure you don't go to a team that doesn't have a clue about using a guy like myself. You want to go to a team that understands that I want to be a punt returner and I want to be a starting receiver.

"I would rather know before March ends," he said. "I want to get the playbook. I want to know my team's offense so there is no problem when it comes to the season starting. And I want my family to be settled and situated before the season hits."

Randle El, who became the first wide receiver to throw a touchdown pass in a Super Bowl, also wants to make sure the Bears, or any other team pursuing him, appreciate the nuances of his game as a special teams standout.

"Some teams undervalue [special teams play] a little bit," he said. "They have to understand that the hidden yardage and field position factor into every game. If you have got a guy who can break it open, it becomes a big factor and it is very important."

T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chicago needs a bonafied no1 receiver. Muhammad wasn't the answer, now they wanna throw Randle El on the other side?!?

They need to make a splash and get someone worth while for that franchise. They have all the other pieces. A good running game with Jones/Benson, a solid D, and a decent QB.

gotta remember he just finished his fourth full year at WR.  He played QB at Indiana.

1326778[/snapback]

I still don't see him becoming some threat at WR. He's undersized. There's a very select few in the NFL right now who can make plays (at that size)

Steve Smith, Santanna Moss... Not too many others who can say that they are real impact players.

I still don't see him becoming some threat at WR. He's undersized. There's a very select few in the NFL right now who can make plays (at that size)

Steve Smith, Santanna Moss... Not too many others who can say that they are real impact players.

1326787[/snapback]

I would not overpay for Randle El myself. He fits the Steeler offense, I don't see him fitting the Bear offense.

IMO Randle El is a weak number 2/strong number 3 WR.

Exactly.

1326798[/snapback]

I can agree with that. Randle El would be a stud on CHI's roster...

He needs to look at it in 2 ways. Do what Mush did? And collect big on his past season's success, or stick with his bread and butter. He fits well with Pitts, so he could continue to thrive there and grow into a better player in my opinion. Where as if he goes to CHI for the payday, he may get lost in the shuffle like every other receiver* who has gone through there.

* Why did they ever get rid of / or let Booker go? He was solid when he was in CHI...

* Why did they ever get rid of / or let Booker go? He was solid when he was in CHI...

1326807[/snapback]

We got Ogunleye in the trade and we needed a speedy DE for the new defensive system. Alex Brown hadn't shown what he was worth and Haynes was proving to be nothing special. Also, 1st round pick David Terrell had shown signs of improvement and so do Justin Gage. With those two in line, the Bears said Booker was expendable.

In hinesight, I don't regret the trade. Ogunleye is one of the top DE's in the league and has proven he was worth it. Our defensive front four is one of the best in the league. WR's aren't as hard to find as speedy DE's.

We got Ogunleye in the trade and we needed a speedy DE for the new defensive system. Alex Brown hadn't shown what he was worth and Haynes was proving to be nothing special. Also, 1st round pick David Terrell had shown signs of improvement and so do Justin Gage. With those two in line, the Bears said Booker was expendable.

In hinesight, I don't regret the trade. Ogunleye is one of the top DE's in the league and has proven he was worth it. Our defensive front four is one of the best in the league. WR's aren't as hard to find as speedy DE's.

1326818[/snapback]

correct. thanks

T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. T.O. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1326469[/snapback]

TO would pee himself if he had to return a punt.

I don't see how anyone can say that the problem in Chi was Mush.  He was one of only 2 guys that did anything on offense all year long.

That said I think Randle El would be a nice shot in the arm for the bears.

1326964[/snapback]

Exactly! Kyle Orton was the QB most of the season!

Randell El is a #3 on a normal team but would be #2 calibur on the Bears. It doesn't hurt things when a guy actually wants to be in your city either.

Randle-El was given an opportunity to be the #2 WR this year with the Steelers. Though he still made some big plays on gadget plays, screen passes, etc., he never proved he had what it took to be a consistent #2 WR. He only had one TD all season as a WR, and that was in the 1st game of the year. (He had another in the playoffs) He is inconsistent in both his route running and with catching the ball.

All that said, he is a dynamic playmaker. He came through with some big 1st downs in the playoffs off of WR screens, where he simply used his speed and athleticism. He seems to be a good, likeable, team guy. I've never heard a bad word said about him by coaches or players. I think he is as good of a #3 WR as you will find, but, I don't think he is consistent enough to be a great #2 WR. What he brings to the return game is also a plus, as he has the ability to take it to the house everytime he touches the ball. Caution yourself though that he does some stupid things on returns as well, as he never wants to give up on the return, sometimes running backwards 10 yards, dancing around, and causing holds or fumbling.

He will be greatly missed by the Steelers, because with him and Ward, the Steelers were able to do a lot of gadget plays which was a big part of their success. I do think the Steelers would be foolish to match the offers that he is likely to receive in the FA market. The Steelers will look to get a Randle-El type (hopefully Michael Robinson, but their are others out there) in the draft. It sounds like El is destined to end up a Bear, and he might not be consistently worth the money, but, he WILL make some big plays and help the Bears offense.

I don't see how anyone can say that the problem in Chi was Mush.  He was one of only 2 guys that did anything on offense all year long.

That said I think Randle El would be a nice shot in the arm for the bears.

1326964[/snapback]

I feel that Mush was not a positive experience for the Bears this year, if you look at his pay check and his performance.

I think he was 2nd in the league for most drops. that’s his main job, catch the ball!

and his attitude is lousy, he acted like some veteran leader, but when it came to game time he did not walk the talk.

yes Orton was the QB most of the time so I understand why his yards per catch are lower and TDs, but Mush did more to hurt than to help Orton, he was always riding him.

I feel that Mush was not a positive experience for the Bears this year, if you look at his pay check and his performance.

I think he was 2nd in the league for most drops. that’s his main job, catch the ball!

and his attitude is lousy, he acted like some veteran leader, but when it came to game time he did not walk the talk.

yes Orton was the QB most of the time so I understand why his yards per catch are lower and TDs, but Mush did more to hurt than to help Orton, he was always riding him.

1327280[/snapback]

People can blame Mush as much as they want, bottom line is that Orton and Grossman combined wouldn't make up the passer known as Delhomme. :D

People can blame Mush as much as they want, bottom line is that Orton and Grossman combined wouldn't make up the passer known as Delhomme.  :D

1327287[/snapback]

so your saying that mush lead the league in dropped passes cause the QB..........that’s crazy, son.

dropped passes are the WR responsibility not the QBs.

So in your standards last year matt hasselbeck is a bad QB because the Seattle WR had the most drops 2 years ago.

so your saying that mush lead the league in dropped passes cause the QB..........that’s crazy, son.

dropped passes are the WR responsibility not the QBs.

So in your standards last year matt hasselbeck is a bad QB because the Seattle WR had the most drops 2 years ago.

1327319[/snapback]

and your saying that

a. a dropped pass is only the responsibility of the WR? ... doesn't seem right, although i am sure in some cases it is ... what if the QB throws the ball slightly behind the WR and he gets a hand on it but doesn't catch it?

b. you are saying that orton and grossman are close to delhomme who continued to have an pretty good year?

i am sure mush attracted a lot more attention this year considering the year he had before, and also the fact that he was the sole receiver on the Bears ... although for the most part the same could be said for when he was on the Panthers. however, delhomme spreads the ball around and gets more people involved in the passing game than Chicago did this last year.

go ahead and blame mush, keep orton or grossman and neglect to get another WR and see what happens next year.

1326818[/snapback]

Yeah, the Bears got over on that trade.

and your saying that

a. a dropped pass is only the responsibility of the WR? ... doesn't seem right, although i am sure in some cases it is ... what if the QB throws the ball slightly behind the WR and he gets a hand on it but doesn't catch it?

1327368[/snapback]

There's a difference between a dropped pass and a badly thrown one. If I remember right, there's a defined standard for what constitutes a drop. It may be judgmental, but receivers are only charged with a drop if the pass should reasonably be caught in the normal run of things.