[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rod Smith

Gopher

How much more does he have in the tank? I would assume, off a pro bowl season, that he plans on playing another year or two at least, but what do you think? He's been in the league about a dozen years already.

Rod Smith will be 36 years old this season and he is second only to Jimmy Smith as the oldest starting wideout. Rod is a possession guy like Jimmy, so even if he loses a step he can still contribute. But that's getting mightly old and Jimmy did not play for the first several seasons in the NFL.

But that's getting mightly old and Jimmy did not play for the first several seasons in the NFL.

1326930[/snapback]

neither did rod. he didn't have his first 1000 yard season until he was 27, same age as jimmy. he spent at least a year or two on the practice squad, then had two seasons of 6 and 16 catches respectively before breaking out in 1997. jimmy is a year older, and his breakout season was 1996. it's remarkable how similar their careers have been, actually.

anyway, i think rod's good for another year or two at a fairly high level, at least.

Rod Smith was my MVP this past season. In a 14 team league, with 3 starting wideouts. I took Rod in the 7th round, and he was an absolute steal. I know he didn't win me the championship, but he was consistent enough to put me in the position week in and week out. If they get TO, doesn't matter. Plummer has trust in Rod, and you can see that whenever he needs to make that play, he's looking for Smith not Lelie/Adams.

i dunno, i became weary when I read he hurt his back in the Pro Bowl.  also cut his eye.  I think there's a reason why Skelator is pimping T.O.

1328659[/snapback]

:D

TO was brought in for an interview BEFORE the pro bowl, dummy. the TO flirtation reflects the broncos' opinion of lelie, not of rod smith.

anyway you think a tweaked back is going to keep him out of action NEXT season??

I love Rod Smith, and think he could be a steal in a redraft league for at least 1 more yr.  But in a Dynasty draft, I wouldnt touch him unless I already had 4 Wrs before I called his name to join my squad.

1329076[/snapback]

I'm comfortable with him as my #3 next year, dynasty league or not. Obviously, I plan on drafting a couple more young guys as well. It's not like the two Smith's are the only aging WR's going into next season. There are actually a surprisingly high number of guys the same age or older than Rod Smith, most of which have also been drafted in our dynasty league..... Moulds, Terry Glenn, Kennison, McCardell, Mason, Bruce, etc. Not to mention Keyshawn and Toomer, who are also going into season 11, but haven't been drafted YET. Did I mention Harrison.... he's no spring chicken either. That's 25% of the WR's on the Huddle top 50 keeper list that are going into their 10th season or higher. If everybody in a 12-team dynasty league drafted 4 WR's before Smith, you would be looking at guys like Travis Taylor, Justin McCareins and Brian Finneran OVER Smith. In a 16-team league, I'll take my chances on Smith for the next couple of years, thanks.

I will avoid Rod and Jimmy Smith next year.  I would expect one or possibly both of them to pull a 50-500 and 2 TD's next year and the odds of one of them being hurt for 6-8 games is very good.

1329231[/snapback]

I don't understand that line of thought......why would you avoid a reciever that is not going to be drafted until the 6-9th round? Both are a great value pick with little risk. Is Kerry Colbert and Reggie Williams too enticing or something? :D I know I'm gonna get stats with the Smith's as a #3 or :gasp: boderline #2 receiver.

definitely a bunch of aging receivers out there. Alot of you guys are gonna have to go with one of them as much as you don't want to. You'll change your minds when the receivers are gone by round 4. Some of them are going to surprise us with solid seasons once again.

Rod Smith is definitely a gamer, even if he had back pains, he'd play through them like nothing happened. I'm just a bit skeptical of Rod repeating these #s if the nagging injuries are catching up to him. That's just me though.

Rod Smith's roll in the offense has really never been a field stretcher, and quite frankly his numbers are not tailing off.

When Denver was struggling in the passing game, they'd go to #80 time in and time again. He's got a few good years left as a 75/1,000/8 type of guy IMO.

I don't understand that line of thought......why would you avoid a reciever that is not going to be drafted until the 6-9th round?  Both are a great value pick with little risk.  Is Kerry Colbert and Reggie Williams too enticing or something?    :D I know I'm gonna get stats with the Smith's as a #3 or :gasp: boderline #2 receiver.

1330531[/snapback]

Solid point as I won't avoid him all together if he's there in the 9th or 10th round lets say, especially in a redraft. That said, I am pencilling him for about 700 and 5 TD's so I'll rank both of them as such with Rod a bit higher then Jimmy.