[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Culpepper on the trading block?

Outshined

I really don't know what to think of this.

Vikings put Culpepper on trading block

After turning down his request for a $10 million raise, the team seems prepared to part ways with its once-franchise quarterback.

Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune

Last update: February 16, 2006 – 12:34 AM

Printer friendly E-mail this story

Daunte Culpepper

The Vikings are gauging quarterback Daunte Culpepper's trade value around the NFL, a person with knowledge of the situation said Wednesday -- confirming a decision triggered when Culpepper demanded that his 2006 compensation be more than doubled.

A well-connected website, www.profootballtalk.com, reported the Vikings are seeking a second-round draft pick for Culpepper, but that asking price could not be confirmed. A trade for so little compensation would conclude a stunning fall for Culpepper, 29, who put up MVP-caliber numbers as recently as 2004.

Baltimore, Miami, Oakland and the New York Jets are among those teams who are expected to pursue quarterbacks this offseason.

The Baltimore Sun reported the Ravens might be interested in placing their franchise tag on running back Jamal Lewis and then trading him for Culpepper.

Regardless, the Vikings now seem willing to jettison their franchise quarterback -- and conceivably install Brad Johnson as their starter -- following a six-week period in which Culpepper has attempted three times to seek an upgrade to his contract.

The last attempt occurred during a Jan. 31 meeting at Winter Park, according to three people with knowledge of the situation.

Culpepper, who fired agent Mason Ashe last month, represented himself during a gathering that also included owner Zygi Wilf, other members of his ownership group, coach Brad Childress and Vice President of Football Operations Rob Brzezinski. Culpepper, according to two people with knowledge of the situation, asked that approximately $10 million be added to his contract this season -- increasing his total 2006 compensation to a staggering $18 million.

Wilf angrily turned down Culpepper's request, and it is believed that no substantive communication has taken place since. The disagreement is the largest impetus for soliciting trade offers, but Culpepper might also be seeking a fresh start after suffering a major injury to his right knee and being charged with three misdemeanors in connection with an alleged Oct. 6 sex party on Lake Minnetonka.

Culpepper, due a $6 million bonus on March 14, faces the task of learning Childress' west-coast offense while being unable to practice until summer at the earliest. A team taking Culpepper would have to view him as a starter for 2007 and consider playing time in 2006 a bonus.

Culpepper's contract, which Wilf upgraded last summer, calls for him to make $8 million during the 2006 league year. Culpepper contends the Vikings promised last summer to address his contract further after the 2005 season; the team has denied that claim.

Culpepper did not respond to an interview request, and team spokesman Bob Hagan said no team official would be available to discuss Culpepper's situation.

News surfaced at this time last year that the Vikings were shopping receiver Randy Moss, who ultimately was sent to Oakland for linebacker Napoleon Harris and two draft choices. No trade involving Culpepper could be finalized before March 3.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Culpy wants a raise after last year??? He's due to get $6 mill after that performance and is insulted by it and wants $10 mill? :doah:

Check his passport. Has he been vacationing on TO's planet? :D

I can see giving Culpy a 3% cost of living increase so he can "feed his family" , but not anything more than that -- he should be darn thankful not to be asked to take a pay cut after last year's disaster. :D

That having been said, if the Vikes trade him, they need immediate value plus a promising young QB (either in the trade or in the draft) coming out of it, or they take a debilitating step backwards.

:D Culp -- SHUT UP AND PLAY BALL!! :D

Culpepper probably made the demand knowing it would spur the Vikings into trading him away. Let's run down those QB's from last year:

Palmer - returns from injury

Bledsoe - new OC

K Collins - new HC/OC and maybe no job

Favre - probably retiring

CPep - returns from injury maybe

McNabb - returns from injury with no TO

Brooks - new HC/OC and who knows

Bulger - returns from injury and new HC/OC

Carr - new OC/HC

T Collins - new HC/OC

Pennington - returns from injury with new HC/OC

Oh yeah, I am going to be in a hurry to get a QB this year...

Before Warner re-signed, I couldn't help think we'd see Daunte in Arizona slinging it to Boldin and Fitz. Wow.

1326985[/snapback]

Not to mention their quest to land a stud RB ie Edge or SA.

As far as Culp goes, DMD nailed it. He just wants out of Minny. The boat deal has been aimed at him, he lost his HC and he's injured. I'm sure he's just looking for a fresh start somewhere else. Not being sure of his status for '06 has to be a big stop sign for some teams looking to upgrade their QB position for next year. Not so sure Saban is willing to put Miami in that situation.

I call bullchit. Dauntes agent brings up contract talks and it pisses Daunte off that he did it, and he fires him. Now some reporter claims Daunte then went in and did the same thing he fired his agent for? :D

I am so sick of the media making up shucks so they can write some freakin' story to get everyones attention.

Childress is going to be as tight lipped as Reid was in Philly when it comes to team affairs. This is just going to cause more bullshucks from the MN media, as they're all too fat and lazy to get off their asses and do any real reporting. :D

I call bullchit.  Dauntes agent brings up contract talks and it pisses Daunte off that he did it, and he fires him. Now some reporter claims Daunte then went in and did the same thing he fired his agent for? :D

I am so sick of the media making up shucks so they can write some freakin' story to get everyones attention.

Childress is going to be as tight lipped as Reid was in Philly when it comes to team affairs. This is just going to cause more bullshucks from the MN media, as they're all too fat and lazy to get off their asses and do any real reporting. :D

1327020[/snapback]

I think Daunte fired his agent because of the crappiness of his heavily backloaded contract, not because the agent raised the issue. I heard it was one of the worst contracts of it's type of recent years and that it was worth a whole lot less than the purported $104m or whatever it was.

I think Daunte fired his agent because of the crappiness of his heavily backloaded contract, not because the agent raised the issue.  I heard it was one of the worst contracts of it's type of recent years and that it was worth a whole lot less than the purported $104m or whatever it was.

1327148[/snapback]

You're probably right about that. At the time he signed that contract it was pretty obvious it would have to be renegotiated after 5 years as no way would they pay him all that money in the last 5 years.

I still stand by my comments about the MN media.

Edited by BillyBalata

I'm telling you all right now.

It will be Oakland.

Moss and CPep together again.

Art Shell knows its the only way to be.

:D

1327173[/snapback]

"All I can say is Kerry Collins has been an outstanding quarterback," Shell said at his introductory press conference last Saturday. "Matter of fact I just spoke to Kerry before I came down here. He is excited about moving forward next year. He is an exciting quarterback. I think he has a chance to be great for us. But those issues will be addressed down the road."

Link

from that article it does not look like Cpep will not be going to OAK, but time will tell

We'll soon find out how serious the love affair is. Collins is due a $2.5 million roster bonus in March, and if the Raiders pay it, it stands to reason they're probably keeping him. He's supposed to make $6 million in base salary as well, and with easily attainable incentives, he'll have an ungodly cap figure of nearly $13 million.

Edited by whitem0nkey

I don't like it. Not at all. Culpepper's value has got ot be pretty low right now. What could the Vikings possibly hope to get for him? Not enough IMO. Even if Culpepper is pouting right now, I don't see him as having the kind of character that would divide a locker room because he is not happy. I think when it comes down to it, Culpepper would play his best for Minnesota this coming year even if he didn't get his raise. If he wants to play somewhere else, I think we need to hold off for a year until he is healthy and then move him when his value is going up instead of down.

And FWIW, I think Keggerz is on the right speculative track. If I had to guess where he would end up in a trade right now, my first pick would be Detroit.

Brad Johnson is the bird in the hand QB that wouldn't start for 75% of the teams in the league at this point.

Culpepper is the two birds in the bush QB that would replace most other NFL qbs from being a starter if Daunte was 100% healthy. As of now, Culpepper needs to show what he can do on the field before making demands.

I don't like the team being led by Johnson. I don't like the team putting all of their eggs in Culpepper's basket either. I think that a 2nd rounder for Culpepper seems low but I don't see alot of teams giving up more right now.

I wouldn't be excited about Jamal Lewis for Culpepper. There was also rumors about Ray Lewis ending up in Minnesota, too.

Culpepper needs to step up and act like a leader about off the field incidents. He's not the injured party that he thinks he is.

Was Billick in Minn when Cpep was drafted?

1327031[/snapback]

Billick's first year in Baltimore was 1999, the year that Cpep was drafted. Billick's final year in Minny was with Randy's rookie season where the team went on an offensive rampage with Cunningham. Cunningham replaced an unfortunate Brad Johnson.

Culpepper's only stats his first season was 3 rushing attempts for 6 yards. The ball never left his hands that year and he's been trying very hard to make that one up. :D

Edited by MikesVikes

Brad Johnson is the bird in the hand QB that wouldn't start for 75% of the teams in the league at this point. 

Culpepper is the two birds in the bush QB that would replace most other NFL qbs from being a starter if Daunte was 100% healthy.  As of now, Culpepper needs to show what he can do on the field before making demands. 

I don't like the team being led by Johnson.  I don't like the team putting all of their eggs in Culpepper's basket either.  I think that a 2nd rounder for Culpepper seems low but I don't see alot of teams giving up more right now.

I wouldn't be excited about Jamal Lewis for Culpepper.  There was also rumors about Ray Lewis ending up in Minnesota, too. 

Culpepper needs to step up and act like a leader about off the field incidents.  He's not the injured party that he thinks he is.

1327328[/snapback]

I would not give up a 2nd rounder for Culpepper myself. and I am a Lions fan.