[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What actually constitutes-Overrated?

PantherDave

I'll use my team-The Carolina Panthers.

I do not think the Panthers are over rated as a certain member here does, but let's break it down.

John Fox inherits a 1-15 team, implements his system, and the Panthers start the 2002 season with 3 wins on their way to a 7-9 record. Fox also drafts Peppers that year to re-build the DT.

2003-DT is rock solid, and OT needs help, so Hurney and Fox bring in FA Stephen Davis, which instantly improves the OT, and brings in Jake Delhomme in the first game(trailing Jax) in which Delhomme brings the Cat's back to win. Cat's go 11-5 and win the NFCS. Then we all know how the 2003 season ended.

2004- Panthers are decimated by injuries, but find the grit to roll off 6 in a row after starting 1-7(Panthers had the hardest schedule in the league in 04 by the way), and just miss the PO by 1 game after a 1-7 start.

2005-Fox pretty much tinkers with the OT all season long, have no legit #2 WR or TE, and a ? at RB every week, but go 11-5 make the PO, win two road games and reach the NFC Championship.

Also, under Fox and GM Hurney, the Panthers are one of the, if not the most, liked and players want to play for organazations in the league(ala Mike "Pro Bowl" Whale and Ken Lucas). It's also pretty clear the Panthers are just a player away from being a dominant NFL team and not just NFC.

So, I really have a hard time understanding why someone thinks them to be "over-rated"? The Panthers will be in the hunt for prize again next year I'm pretty confident. Thoughts and opinions otherwise wanted-Peace PD.

one thing would be having tons of talent and the ability NOT to use it ... due to various reasons ...

one of which is BEING A TOOL - (ie, KW2, TO)

as far as a team goes i wouldn't say the panthers are overrated some teams may seem overrated, but have probably just underacheived (Cards, Lions, and i would probably throw in the Falcons) if the Falcons could get their act together they could be legit contenders.

panthers are solid, no question. despite some opinions in here, i think overall they are an underrated team. they get minimal press because they are from the less-than-exciting carolina megapolis and they don't have the marquee names. smith is close, but he still is not talked about with the likes of moss, to, cj, etc.

i agree that they are just a player or two away ... and jake needs to calm down a bit.

one thing would be having tons of talent and the ability NOT to use it ... due to various reasons ...

one of which is BEING A TOOL - (ie, KW2, TO)

as far as a team goes i wouldn't say the panthers are overrated some teams may seem overrated, but have probably just underacheived (Cards, Lions, and i would probably throw in the Falcons)  if the Falcons could get their act together they could be legit contenders.

1327631[/snapback]

This is how I would define overrated. Carolina is NOT overrated or even close to being so. If any team was overrated last year, it was NE. :D

I'll use my team-The Carolina Panthers.

I do not think the Panthers are over rated as a certain member here does, but let's break it down.

John Fox inherits a 1-15 team, implements his system, and the Panthers start the 2002 season with 3 wins on their way to a 7-9 record. Fox also drafts Peppers that year to re-build the DT.

2003-DT is rock solid, and OT needs help, so Hurney and Fox bring in FA Stephen Davis, which instantly improves the OT, and brings in Jake Delhomme in the first game(trailing Jax) in which Delhomme brings the Cat's back to win. Cat's go 11-5 and win the NFCS. Then we all know how the 2003 season ended.

2004- Panthers are decimated by injuries, but find the grit to roll off 6 in a row after starting 1-7(Panthers had the hardest schedule in the league in 04 by the way), and just miss the PO by 1 game after a 1-7 start.

2005-Fox pretty much tinkers with the OT all season long, have no legit #2 WR or TE, and a ? at RB every week, but go 11-5 make the PO, win two road games and reach the NFC Championship.

Also, under Fox and GM Hurney, the Panthers are one of the, if not the most, liked and players want to play for organazations in the league(ala Mike "Pro Bowl" Whale and Ken Lucas). It's also pretty clear the Panthers are just a player away from being a dominant NFL team and not just NFC.

So, I really have a hard time understanding why someone thinks them to be "over-rated"? The Panthers will be in the hunt for prize again next year I'm pretty confident. Thoughts and opinions otherwise wanted-Peace PD.

1327598[/snapback]

The Panthers are far from an over-rated team. Very solid, and I wouldn't be surprised if a Lombardi trophy is in their near future.

I would of thought you would of been happy for the refs, I know me and my Lions are jealous. they have 1 more superbowl win than us. :D

1328273[/snapback]

:D Yes, the nation is waiting on the Lions to get that one for the thumb !!! :D

I'm one of those dopes who still doesn't think the Lions are all that far away. :D

:D  Yes, the nation is waiting on the Lions to get that one for the thumb !!!  :D

I'm one of those dopes who still doesn't think the Lions are all that far away.  :D

1328289[/snapback]

I have liked our offseason coaching moves so far, for us to compete we need ALOT of defensive players. we are more than a couple players away another words(and that is just on the defensive side of the ball).

If any team was overrated last year, it was Indy.  :D

1327928[/snapback]

Fixed.

Anyway, "overrated" is where the hype doesn't match the production. Favre is overrated by much of the sporting press (or maybe that's "overloved"); Micheal Vick is rammed down our throats as the next step in quarterbacking, but can't hit a short pass to save his life; Peyton Manning is obviously one of the top QBs in the league, but c'mon, he's gotta win something sometime; Mike Shanahan is certainly near the top as far as coaches go, but hasn't accomplished much without the Elway/TD combo - not that many would have.

None of the above suck out loud, but just aren't exactly bringing home as much bacon as you'd think when it comes to the level of hype they get.

Mike Vick - bingo

Big Ben -  :D

Jake Delhomme - uh, no

Shawn Merriman - still upset Merriman got DROY and not Tatupu are you?

Deangelo Hall - he's decent nuff

Marc Bulger - we'll see w/o martz but certainly has stats to back it up

Leanord Little - ...

Dominick Davis - maybe only because of injury and last years OL issues otherwise stud

Jerome Bettis - heading to hall of fame ... uh ... sour grapes

Willie Parker - undrafted rookie who rushes for 1200 yards a little early to tell but he certainly does torch a few teams :D

1328515[/snapback]

Edited by junebugz

Two Words...

Big Ben

1328047[/snapback]

See, that is why these treads all go to h*ll and a hand basket (what the f*ck does that mean, anyway). I do not see how you can call Big Ben overrated, I personally have never heard anyone (that is unbiased, and has any knowledge) talk about Big Ben, as a QB who is going to single handedly win a game. The comments are always, his size, his physical ability, he is poised for a two year guy, does not make the mistakes that cost you the game, etc., etc. etc.) All of this is true. If I am building a team from scratch, he is certainly not on my list of top 5 QBs, however, if I am building a team from scratch, and I can get to the CCG in year one, and win the SB in year two, yea, I probably take that.

As for the ORIGINAL THREAD, what is overrate. Well after watching the SB, and taking into consideration the Billions of dollars that change hands as a direct result of the NFL, which is suppose to be the pinnacle a football, world-wide, I have come to the conclusion that the NFL must be overrated, vastly overrated.

If you would like a simpler term, generally, overrated is a term used by a fan of a team that did not do as well as he wanted, to describe a team that did better than his team. You just do not hear of a Championship team using the term a great deal.

If you want it in even simpler terms, then OU, OU is always overrated (that is just to see if he really does follow me around the site, and read my posts).

Edited by rbmcdonald

How about Peyton Manning? Cannot win the BIG games

1329028[/snapback]

That must mean Dan Marino was overrated too. Both arguably two of the better passers the league has seen and can't win big games. Don't get me wrong ... Peyton can be a :D , but he puts up the numbers he is expected to put up ... year in, year out.

I will bite on your :D because it is a line of :bologna:

See, that is why these treads all go to h*ll and a hand basket (what the f*ck does that mean, anyway).  I do not see how you can call Big Ben overrated, I personally have never heard anyone (that is unbiased, and has any knowledge) talk about Big Ben, as a QB who is going to single handedly win a game.  The comments are always, his size, his physical ability, he is poised for a two year guy, does not make the mistakes that cost you the game, etc., etc. etc.)  All of this is true.  If I am building a team from scratch, he is certainly not on my list of top 5 QBs, however, if I am building a team from scratch, and I can get to the CCG in year one, and win the SB in year two, yea, I probably take that.

1328955[/snapback]

I felt in the playoffs against Cincy, Indy, & Denver, Ben did put the offense on his shoulders when the running game was shutdown. When a guy gets off to a start as good as Ben is off to, people just want to find ways to bring him down. I remember the same thing happening w/ Tom Brady. It is really this simple:

Year 1:

Finished 5th in the NFL with a 98.1 QB Rating - Best ever for a rookie

Broke the Rookie Record for completion % with 66

13-0 Regular season record as a starter

1-1 Post Season record as a starter

Lost in AFC Championship Game

The only major negative was that he played terrible in the playoffs with a 61.3 Rating.

Year 2:

Finished 3rd in the NFL with a 98.6 QB Rating

9-3 Regulars season record as a starter

4-0 Post-Season Record as a Starter

Super Bowl Championship

Had a 101.7 QB Rating in the post-season, tops in the league

The only negative was that he made some bad mistakes in the Super Bowl.

So to sum it up, since Ben took over as starter:

27-4 Record

2 AFC Championship Games

1 Super Bowl Victory

98.3 Career Passer Rating

I know this is opening a can of worms, where people will try to bring him down, talking about the Super Bowl while ignoring that he is one of the main reasons they were playing in the game. He is off to one of the best starts of any NFL QB in the history of the game. Call me a homer, an idiot, etc., but the statistics I posted above are fact, and as a Steeler fan, I am thankful that the Giants and Chargers chose the QB's that they did.

Edited by Menudo

and other's want to find a way to go down on him... :D

1329192[/snapback]

Wow, I am shocked. I never expected someone to come back with this kind of response. Very original. :D

Edited by Menudo