[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pennington refuses to take a pay cut

Fantasy Jesus

Reports this morning from Mike & Mike that Pennington has refused to accept a pay cut, and the Jets have notified John Abraham's agent that they intend to franchise him again this year.

Looks like the Jets are going to bite the bullet and flat out cut Pennington. They will take a 12 million dollar cap hit this year and be done with him. It's going to get real ugly in Jet land for the next few years.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reports this morning from Mike & Mike that Pennington has refused to accept a pay cut, and the Jets have notified John Abraham's agent that they intend to franchise him again this year.

Looks like the Jets are going to bite the bullet and flat out cut Pennington. They will take a 12 million dollar cap hit this year and be done with him. It's going to get real ugly in Jet land for the next few years.

1328944[/snapback]

Nice guy(Pennngton).

When healthy - he has proven his worth. 

He also played hurt and risked his health even more. 

There is no reason he should take a pay cut.

1328963[/snapback]

Good point.

If Pennington wont take a pay cut, it probably is in the Jet's best interest to cut him, dont you think?

The Jets are cleaning house . . .

Next week, the Jets are planning to release several veterans, including cornerback Ty Law, tackles Jason Fabini and Scott Gragg, guard Pete Kendall, fullback Jerald Sowell and quarterback Jay Fiedler.

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?...2560.xml&coll=1

1328973[/snapback]

Fabini is a pretty good tackle, right?

Couple of thoughts ... to drop from $9m to $1m is a heckuva drop. Not exactly speaking from experience here, but once you have had $1m in your life getting 1 more as opposed to 9 is probably a big difference.

So it seems to me that either the Jets are forcing his hand and want to move on and rebuild because of the outrageous contract that he signed when ... last year? ... or they are just trying to give him a rediculously low offer (lowballing him) so he would know they don't want to pay him a whole lot.

Also, seems like he is either a greedy money leach or doesn't have confidence that he could hit incentives on an incentive based contract. Or, rather more likely, a little bit of both.

Either way, he ain't getting $9m anywhere else IMO.

two people now have called him greedy.

I cannot see how this is the case.

they gave him a contract. He bled for this team. They want to cut his contract big time. Why would he do that to stick with a team in horrible shape? That is something you do to help a team on the verge of winning something. This team is rebuilding. Its not like they 'need' him. He is not screwing anybody.

Edited by Duchess Jack

they gave him a contract.  He bled for this team.  They want to cut his contract big time.  Why would he do that to stick with a team in horrible shape?

1329045[/snapback]

I don't quite get it either.

he has 2 choices

1- do not redo the contract and get cut and not get anywhere near the money he had been guarenteed. ( he deserves most of the money for getting hurt and trying to play)

2- redo the deal and get the same money over more years.

Seems to me that in senario 2 he gets more money so that would be the greedy choice :D

Edited by Zooty

He deserves better than he's getting here IMO. He's been a good player and a good representative for their franchise. He gets hurt while playing ( not motorcycle riding or domestic dispute ), and he gets asked to take a 8 million dollar pay cut? I can understand needing to possibly renegotiate, but $8 mill? It's almost like the Jets are forcing his hand here.

they gave him a contract.  He bled for this team.  They want to cut his contract big time.  Why would he do that to stick with a team in horrible shape?  That is something you do to help a team on the verge of winning something.  This team is rebuilding.  Its not like they 'need' him.  He is not screwing anybody.

1329045[/snapback]

Exactly right. There's no greed here, Pennington has done everything the Jets asked of him. I can see the business case for the Jets, but Pennington isn't a greedy pig by any stretch.

I wonder if Rovers will bet me that the Jets will finish higher than the Steelers again this year. :D

By the way, I still haven't received payment..... :D:D

As for Pennington, I agree, that his hand is being forced by the Jets here. I really dont' see how you can call Pennington greedy in this case.